Saturday, April 13, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1315

Hello and welcome to issue #1315 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

It seems finally spring comes to Germany. It is nice to wake up in the morning and the sun is shining. In the southern hemisphere Autumn is knocking on the door as Australian author Rosalie Skinner shows in her atmospheric post. By the way do you know her excellent fantasy series Chronicles of Caleath? I posted about the series in detail and reviewed the first three books (Exiled:Autumn's Peril, Exiled: Winter's Curse, Exiled: The Legacy of Lathraine's Pledge). Before I get lost in the praise of books in the introduction let me say that I have had a big smile on my face on Friday late afternoon. You will find the reason for that in the books section of the post.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copies
  2. A book for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Opera stages
  2. Reading in another language
  3. Re-reading
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Elysium

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Desk

The Lighthouse

I'm for beyond my reading progress in 2012. At the moment I can't understand how I manged to read 490 pages per week. Now I'm more than happy when I read more than 300 pages which I failed last week. I read in sum 157 pages. One thing is for sure, last year I slept less.

I finished

- The Incendiary's Trail (digital 2011) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B004P1JB82]by James McCreet.
An absolutely satisfying read for me. It was exactly my cup of tea. While reading I felt like to be in London of 1844. The story delivered twists and turns, interesting characters and character development. I look forward to read the next book in the series.



I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week. Instead I continued with a sewing project.


- 85 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
No progress this week. It is not the right time for this book.


- 98 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
No progress because I concentrated on finishing The Incendiary's Trail.

- 171 pages in The Tattered Banner (digital ARC, 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1481013222] by Duncan Hamilton 
No progress because I concentrated on finishing The Incendiary's Trail.


- 87 pages in The Daedalus Incident by Michael J. Martinez.
So far I don't no the connection between the two time lines ...


- 62 pages The Forever Knight (hc, US, 2nd of April 2013)[ISBN-13:  978-0756407513] by John Marco.
I crossed the 50 pages hurdle and I still enjoy reading. delivers enough information for readers like me who do not know the previous books starring Lukien, the former Bronze Knight of Liiria.

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Now the time has come to explain what put a big smile on my face in the late Friday afternoon. When my wife and I returned from our weekly shopping I checked our post box. I found two large envelopes. The first one came from UK and the second one from US.

I opened the first one and found a copy of The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson.
I post last week about the book and that the author promised me to send a copy. Thank you very much Geoffrey Wilson.
In case you missed my post last week I deliver again the cover and the description of The Place of Dead Kings.
"In Land of Hope and Glory, Geoffrey Wilson created a world where the Indian Mutiny takes place in a very different England, while magic is a weapon controlled by her foreign oppressors.
Now, the rebellion of 1852 has failed and brutal General Vadula governs England. Only a few small bands of English rebels still hold out against the Rajthanan empire.
Jack Casey, reluctant hero of the resistance, has survived to live with his daughter in the remote wilds of Shropshire, training young rebels to use the conqueror's magic. But he is gravely ill, with only two months to live ...
Then rebel spies bring news of a rogue Indian sorcerer in Scotland. Mahajan has discovered a mysterious power in the uncharted country to the north - a power that could be the legendary Holy Grail. The Rajthanans have already assembled an army to search for Mahajan. Jack has nothing to lose now. He agrees to lead his own men, disguised as porters for the conquerors, on the same gruelling march.
They hope to find a weapon that will free England from her oppressors. But they discover something that is beyond what any of them ever expected." [Source]
The second envelope contained a big surprise. So far I never received a review copy six months before the publishing date. A big thank you goes to author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh and his publisher Dancing Lemur press for the copy of the third and final book in the fantastic series:
CassaStorM
(September 17th, 2013) 
[Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] 
[E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019]

I read, liked and reviewed the two previous books:
My CassaStaR review and
My CassaFirE review which include the book trailers
The CassaStorM review date has not been fixed yet. Maybe I will combine it with an interview or something else .... I will discuss ideas with and inform you in time what and when to expect. When I look at my schedule nothing will happen before June 2013. 


I confess I like CSI: Vegas and I like the Armageddon movie. Based on that knowledge you may understand why following book description aroused my interest:
"What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?
Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.
The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job—but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week—except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares.
The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace’s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we’re confronted by hard questions way beyond “whodunit.” What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?" [Source]

This is the description of
 The Last Policeman 
(audio, pb, digital, 2012) 

 There are more than 2000 ratings for this book on GOODREADS. I checked the price for the digital copy on Amazon.de = 2,37 EUR (3.11 USD) and Amazon.co.uk = 2.03 GBP (2,38 EUR, 3.12 USD).
So I did not hesitate to buy I digital copy. I hope the book will deliver what is promised.

There is a special offer for people who live in USA. Check following post:


Furthermore there is a book trailer

and in case you like the book I can tell you that the second novel will be published in July 2013.
This is what you will get:
 Countdown City (audio, pb, digital, July 16th 2013) by Ben H. Winters
"There are just 74 days to go before a deadly asteroid collides with Earth, and Detective Hank Palace is out of a job. With the Concord police force operating under the auspices of the U.S. Justice Department, Hank's days of solving crimes are over...until a woman from his past begs for help finding her missing husband.
Brett Cavatone disappeared without a trace—an easy feat in a world with no phones, no cars, and no way to tell whether someone’s gone “bucket list” or just gone. With society falling to shambles, Hank pieces together what few clues he can, on a search that leads him from a college-campus-turned-anarchist-encampment to a crumbling coastal landscape where anti-immigrant militia fend off “impact zone” refugees.
The second novel in the critically acclaimed Last Policeman trilogy, Countdown City presents a fascinating mystery set on brink of an apocalypse--and once again, Hank Palace confronts questions way beyond "whodunit." What do we as human beings owe to one another? And what does it mean to be civilized when civilization is collapsing all around you?" [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Opera is not my cup of tea. But I'm often impressed when I see pictures of opera sets and stages. The inspiriting people of WebUrbanist put together and excellent collection of impressive opera stages. I recommend to visit



Reading books in another language makes fun. I'm German and I like to read in English. In the beginning I could not understand why people insisted to get either UK or US editions of the same book depending on where they live. In the meantime I know that English is not equal English. You even get dictionaries for British English and American English.
Stefan Fergus over at Civilan Reader released following post

which reminded of two things:
1.)The above described difference between UK and US editions
and
2.) That I still wait for the mmpb edition of the book.
The waiting will come to an end. In August 2013 DAW Books will publish the US mmpb edition of Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines [ISBN-13:  978-0756408176]. So far the cover is not available.
And this is the description:
"Isaac Vainio is a Libriomancer, a member of the secret organization founded five centuries ago by Johannes Gutenberg. Libriomancers are gifted with the ability to magically reach into books and draw forth objects. When Isaac is attacked by vampires that leaked from the pages of books into our world, he barely manages to escape. To his horror he discovers that vampires have been attacking other magic-users as well, and Gutenberg has been kidnapped.
With the help of a motorcycle-riding dryad who packs a pair of oak cudgels, Isaac finds himself hunting the unknown dark power that has been manipulating humans and vampires alike. And his search will uncover dangerous secrets about Libriomancy, Gutenberg, and the history of magic. . . ." [Source

I must say I could not resist the description even I do not like vampires.
But I love books and libraries.  Furthermore I found out that Libriomancer is just the first book in the Magic ex Libris series!
The series will continue on 6th of August 2013 with the release of Codex Born hardcover [ISBN-13:  978-0756408169] by DAW Books.
"Isaac Vainio’s life was just about perfect. He should have known it couldn’t last.
Living and working as a part-time librarian in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, Isaac had finally earned the magical research position he dreamed of with the Porters. He had been cleared by Johannes Gutenberg to practice libriomancy once again, reaching into books to create whatever he chooses from their pages. Best of all, it had been more than two months since anything tried to kill him.
And then Isaac, along with a dryad named Lena Greenwood and Porter psychiatrist Nidhi Shah, are called to the small mining town of Tamarack, where a pair of septuagenarian werewolves have discovered the body of a brutally murdered wendigo.
What begins as a simple monster-slaying leads to deeper mysteries and the discovery of an organization thought to have been wiped out more than five centuries ago by Gutenberg himself. Their magic rips through Isaac’s with ease, and their next target is Lena.
The dryad’s powers are unique, and Gutenberg’s enemies mean to use her to destroy everything he and the Porters have built. But their plan could unleash a darker power, an army of entropy and chaos, bent on devouring all it touches.
The Upper Peninsula is about to become ground zero in a magical war like nothing the world has seen in more than five hundred years. But the more Isaac learns about Gutenberg and the Porters, the more he questions whether he’s fighting for the right cause.
One way or another, Isaac must find a way to stop a power he doesn’t fully understand. And even if he succeeds, the outcome will forever change him, the Porters, and the world." [Source]


I'm always interested in when other blogger write about their reading habits and the reasons why they change their reading habits. So I read the post

over at Walker of Worlds with great interest. Mark Chitty, the author of the post goes in a completely other direction in case of reading habits compared to me. He wants to spend more time for re-reading. I understand the reasons why Mark wants to change his reading habits. When I remember well there have been been only two books which I read again. The first book was The Hobbit which I read long ago in German and in 2012 in English. The second book was Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson which is the first book in  he Malazan Empire series. I did that because I wanted to read the whole series within 2013. As you could read above I got stuck in the second book. Hopefully I will resume soon.
Anyway re-read is no option for me as long as I fail to read the books I buy.
That leads me to the question: Do you re-read books? If you do that I would like to know how often do you re-read a specific book.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

District 9 directed by Neill Blomkamp has been a surprisingly good movie. Now Neill Blomkamp returns with a science fiction film in August 2013 starring Jodie Foster and Matt Damon:

"Set in the year 2154, where the very wealthy live on a man-made space station while the rest of the population resides on a ruined Earth, a man takes on a mission that could bring equality to the polarized worlds." [Source]



After reading available information ant after watching the trailer I definitely want to see the movie. The premise of the film is nothing revolutionary. But it will be interesting to see how Neill Blomkamp cope with the story.
 
That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

How does your desk look like? Is the surface visible? My desk is mostly covered with books and papers ......


"If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk?

Laurence J. Peter, US educator & writer (1919 - 1988)
You might also like:

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, never received a book that far in advance?
The Last Policeman sounds intriguing. Will see if it's in the iBookstore and download it.
Saw the trailer for Elysium last night. Not an original story (reminded me of Battle Angel) but excited for any science fiction film and hope they can pull off a good story.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Spring comes to Hungary as well, which is not a big suprise, because we live at the same continent. All the weekend was sunny and warm enough to walking outside without coats and hats.

I'm a little bit envy with you about the received books. I hope they'll meet your expectations and you'll have time read them.

I always admired your weekly progress at the past. I also hope you'll return to the that way again and you'll have oportunity to read as many pages as you did last year.

Gina Gao said...

These books sound really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Thanks for the mention and thanks to you I have added more books to my reading list.

Another great post.

Congratulations, Alex, CassaStorm is on its way. Six months and counting down. How good to have review copies sent out ahead of time.

Enjoy the spring weather... I hear you are having temperatures similar to our autumn days. Our range these days is 26 during the day, dropping to a cool 14 overnight.
The longer nights at least provide more time to read. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
indeed no. Therefore I'm so happy about the CassaStorM review copy.

As I do not own any iproduct I normally do not check iBookstore availability.
But in this case I can tell you that the Last Policeman is available in iBookstore.


I liked what Neill Blomkamp delivered with District 9. Now I hope he will do the same with Elysium.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

yesterday I chatted with a colleague in Sweden and they still do not see any indication for sprin. It was raining and temperature 5 C°.

2013 is a strange year for me so far. The more books I receive the less time I get to read them. Now I look forward to my holiday in May with two weeks without internet and phone. Just me, my wife and tons of books. There are more than 300 books on our reader. But I will definitely take some real books with me in order to be prepared when my wife use the reader.


Gecse said...

Spring comes to Hungary as well, which is not a big suprise, because we live at the same continent. All the weekend was sunny and war

ediFanoB said...

Hello Gina Gao, thank you for stopping by.
Whether a book is interesting or not always depends on your personal taste.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie.
always a pleasure to mention your great books.
Next time I have to mention you again. I assume you know the reason why... sneak preview :-))

I'm happy that we get more sunshine now. For me it feels like charging my battery.
Fingers crossed that you find more time for reading during the longer nights ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...