Saturday, March 23, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1312

Hello and welcome to issue #1312 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Why do I have still the impression that 2013 is not my year!
I look fashionable with bobble hat, scarf and wrapped in a blanket. Tons of paper tissue around me for my dripping nose and one mug of tea after the other to soften the cough and to heat me up. When I look through the window there is no sign of spring.
Nevertheless I try my best to deliver at least my weekly post with fewer topics than usual. It seems this will be one more month without review.


Enough told for today.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. One review copy
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Google Reader replacement
  2. Body Paint Illusions
  3. The Paris Floods from 1910
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Star Trek Into Darkness

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Arrest

The Lighthouse

It is so sad when I see all these lovely books around me. Now I look forward to Easter and hope to find time for reading.


I finished

-

I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 85 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
No progress this week

- 237 pages in The Secrets of the Lazarus Club (pp, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0141035895] by Tony Pollard

No progress this week

- 54 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.

No progress this week





Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

I received a hardcover this week.
Thanks to Tor/Forge.com for sending me a copy of Homeland (hc, US, 2012)[ISBN-13:  978-07653233698] by Stephen Hunt Cory Doctorow. which is the sequel to Little Brother (pb, US, 2010)[ISBN-13:  978-07653223118]. To be honest I did not read Little Brother and I'm not sure if Homeland is after my taste. Any comments regarding the two books are welcomed.
"In Cory Doctorow’s wildly successful Little Brother, young Marcus Yallow was arbitrarily detained and brutalized by the government in the wake of a terrorist attack on San Francisco—an experience that led him to become a leader of the whole movement of technologically clued-in teenagers, fighting back against the tyrannical security state. A few years later, California's economy collapses, but Marcus’s hacktivist past lands him a job as webmaster for a crusading politician who promises reform. Soon his onetime girlfriend Masha emerges from the political underground to gift him with a thumbdrive containing a Wikileaks-style cable-dump of hard evidence of corporate and governmental perfidy. It’s incendiary stuff—and if Masha goes missing, Marcus is supposed to release it to the world. Then Marcus sees Masha being kidnapped by the same government agents who detained and tortured Marcus years earlier. Marcus can leak the archive Masha gave him—but he can’t admit to being the leaker, because that will cost his employer the election. He’s surrounded by friends who remember what he did a few years ago and regard him as a hacker hero. He can’t even attend a demonstration without being dragged onstage and handed a mike. He’s not at all sure that just dumping the archive onto the Internet, before he’s gone through its millions of words, is the right thing to do. Meanwhile, people are beginning to shadow him, people who look like they’re used to inflicting pain until they get the answers they want. Fast-moving, passionate, and as current as next week, Homeland is every bit the equal of Little Brother—a paean to activism, to courage, to the drive to make the world a better place." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Last week I told you that I will try several Google Reader replacements as Google Reader will definitely disappear on 1st of July 2013. In fact I tried two alternatives. Author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh recommended Feedly. I tried but I must say it is not my first choice. I tried to set it up in way that it looks not so different to Google Reader but in the end I failed. Maybe I was not patient enough. Then I installed the FireFox add on Bamboo Feed Reader. This reader delivers what I need. The reader is lean, not difficult to handle and fits to my notebook screen. The reader works with FireFox. If you do not use this browser, s you have to continue your search. The cherry on the cake would be to have more sorting order options.
So slowly but surely I will stop using Google Reader and turn to Bamboo Feed Reader.


I must say I missed to visit WebUrbanist. This site is full of interesting topics beyond books. Today there is a real eye-catcher. You will understand what I mean when you visit



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Despite my dripping nose I spent some time looking around for new and interesting trailers. as I like the actor Benedict Cumberbatch and I like Star Trek too, I will definitely watch  Star Trek Into Darkness. There is a slightly new trailer available.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Unfortunately the following quote does not work in case of cough and cold .......


"Don't get yourself arrested and make your day worse! If you need to vent, just smash something that's already broken! You can't get in trouble for wrecking the unsalvageable!

R. Stevens, Diesel Sweeties, 11-06-06

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I use Firefox and will definitely try Bamboo Feed Reader. I like Feedly, but it doesn't seem to mark things as read as well as Google did.
Sorry you're under the weather. We are still unseasonably cold here with no signs of spring.
And I got an email from my publisher yesterday that just might make you feel better - review copies for CassaStorm have gone out!

Zoltán Gecse said...

We have the same situation... there is no any signs of the spring. I hope you get well soon and you have'll time to read much more!

I still search the best GR alternative, because the only supporter browser in my workplace is Internet Explorer. Moreover I'd like to see my feeds on my iPad too.

Rosalie Skinner said...

While you are waiting for spring, we are waiting for autumn. The weather is hot and humid. Feels like the summer we missed.
Hope you feel better soon.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

today I feel better and went to work. Nevertheless especially the last sentence of your comment has been very helpful.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

it seems not so easy to find a GR alternative for IE.
Maybe the following link will be helpful for you: Free RSS Readers for Windows.

I'm glad that I feel a lot better today.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

the seasons show that we both live in different pparts of the world.

I feel a lot better today. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...