Saturday, March 16, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1311

Hello and welcome to issue #1311 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

First of all let me express how good it is to be back after ten days without Internet connection at home!!!

That is the reason why I had to skip issue #1310 of the Weekend Wave. Reading progress went down the drain because I tried to find solutions for our Internet problem and due to the fact that I had to spent some more unexpected extra hours at work.

Today I spent several hours to check all the blog entries and more in order to find content for this post.

Enough told for today.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Three more books
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Google Reader 
  2. Shared world
  3. Currency and money
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. What to do without internet?

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms See

The Lighthouse

I finished a book yesterday which made me happy. My reading progress is still poor but I hope it will change now to the better.


I finished

-

I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 85 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
No progress this week

- 237 pages in The Secrets of the Lazarus Club (pp, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0141035895] by Tony Pollard

No progress this week

- 54 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.

No progress this week





Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

In the meantime I received copies several books which I ordered in advance. 

The first one is Gideon's Angel (pb,26th February 2013) [ISBN13: 978-1781080849] by Clifford Beal. I talked about this book in February 2013.

"He came back to kill a tyrant. He found the Devil instead. 1653: The long and bloody English Civil War is at an end. King Charles is dead and Oliver Cromwell rules the land as king in all but name. Richard Treadwell, an exiled royalist officer and soldier-for-hire to the King of France and his all-powerful advisor, the wily Cardinal Mazarin, burns with revenge for those who deprived him of his family and fortune. He decides upon a self-appointed mission to return to England in secret and assassinate the new Lord Protector. Once back on English soil however, he learns that his is not the only plot in motion.
A secret army run by a deluded Puritan is bent on the same quest, guided by the Devil’s hand. When demonic entities are summoned, Treadwell finds himself in a desperate turnaround: he must save Cromwell to save England from a literal descent into Hell. But first he has to contend with a wife he left in Devon who believes she’s a widow, and a furious Paris mistress who has trailed him to England, jeopardising everything. Treadwell needs allies fast. Can he convince the man sent to forcibly drag him back to Cardinal Mazarin? A young king’s musketeer named d’Artagnan.
Black dogs and demons; religion and magic; Freemasons and Ranters. It’s a dangerous new Republic for an old cavalier coming home again." [Source]

Also the second book has been mentioned in February 2013:
The Prisoner of Heaven (pb, March 2013) [ISBN: 978-0062223470] by
Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
"Barcelona, 1957. It is the week before Christmas in the Sempere & Sons bookshop. Daniel Sempere has married the love of his life, Bea, and they have had a son whilst their partner in crime, Fermín, is busy preparing for his wedding to Bernarda in the New Year. Just when it seems as if luck is finally smiling on them, a mysterious figure with a pronounced limp enters the shop. He insists on buying the most expensive volume on display—a beautiful illustrated edition of The Count of Monte Cristo—and then proceeds to inscribe the book with the words ‘For Fermín Romero de Torres, who came back from the dead and who holds the key to the future’. Who is this man and what does he want of Fermín? The answer lies in a terrible secret that has lain hidden for two decades, an epic tale of imprisonment, betrayal, murder and love that leads back into the very heart of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books." [Source]

The third and last book for today is the first book in a new fantasy series. There are several reviews available which praise the book. I bought a copy because the blurb convinced me.
The Red Knight (pb, January 2013) [ISBN: 978-0316212281] by Miles Cameron is the first book in the The Traitor Son Cycle.
"Twenty eight florins a month is a huge price to pay, for a man to stand between you and the Wild.
Twenty eight florins a month is nowhere near enough when a wyvern's jaws snap shut on your helmet in the hot stink of battle, and the beast starts to rip the head from your shoulders. But if standing and fighting is hard, leading a company of men - or worse, a company of mercenaries - against the smart, deadly creatures of the Wild is even harder.
It takes all the advantages of birth, training, and the luck of the devil to do it.
The Red Knight has all three, he has youth on his side, and he's determined to turn a profit. So when he hires his company out to protect an Abbess and her nunnery, it's just another job. The abby is rich, the nuns are pretty and the monster preying on them is nothing he can't deal with. Only it's not just a job. It's going to be a war. . . " [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I think most of you read the news about the disappearing of Google Reader on 1st of July 2013. I must say I have been shocked, sad and angry in this order. I appreciate this tool a lot because it is  an efficient and convenient  way to organise all my links to the many blogs I follow.
I will use the time left to find a replacement. What I saw so far was not really convincing. Anyway like a lot of other people I need such a tool.
The first one I will try is the FireFox add on Bamboo Feed Reader.

Some months ago I got the opportunity to read the ARC of The Kaiser Affair (Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00BQ4XM6I) and other digital book shops) by Joseph Robert Lewis which is the first book published book in the shared world of The Drifting World Chronicles.


"When a master thief escapes from prison, detective Bettina Rothschild must put him back behind bars before the scandalous fiasco destroys the Ministry of Justice. Her investigation leads from decaying cemeteries where ravens conspire to warehouses where wondrous machines are built in secret, and even to the fabled Drifting Isle above the city of Eisenstadt where an ancient tomb hides a deadly secret. /
The relentless chase proves taxing for a young woman who relies on her cane and her steamcarriage to get about, but that's where a good husband steps in. While Bettina picks locks and interrogates suspects, her beloved Arjuna defends her from the most brutal and bizarre assassins in Eisenstadt. /
But as the clock ticks down, Bettina finds too many questions still remain. How did the thief escape from prison? How can he afford to hire so many killers? And why would he go to the Drifting Isle only to steal a giant beetle?" [Source
It has been an enjoyable read and I look forward to read the next books set in the same world. There will be two more books in Spring 2013:

Black Mercury (Spring 2013) by Charlotte E. English.
"Caspar Goldstein is the star of the steam car racing scene in the city of Eisenstadt. All he cares about is winning the coveted Autocarriage Cup, and he’s in with a chance—until a crash at the track throws his plans into disarray. When a chance discovery brings a new superfuel into his life, he can’t resist the opportunity to claim some for himself.
But when black mercury powers the first ever flight to the mysterious Drifting Isle, its fame quickly spreads—and everyone wants what Caspar’s got. He’s made a grave mistake, but it’s too late to back out now. Unsure who to trust, Cas must rely on his few true friends for help; but how can inventors, autocarriage drivers and pigeons hope to face down the deadliest of assassins and thieves?" [Source]


The Machine God (Spring 2013) by Meilin Miranda.

"Professor Oladel Adewole has lost tenure, and the beloved, much-younger sister he's raised has died. With no reason to stay, he leaves his homeland for the University of Eisenstadt.
One thing makes life in his new home bearable for him: the island floating a mile above the city. Adewole is an expert in the myths told all over the world about it, but no one's ever been there, nor knows how it got there.
When a brilliant engineer makes it to the island in her new invention, the government sends Adewole up with its first survey team. The expedition finds civilization, and Adewole finds a powerful, forbidden fusion of magic and metal: the Machine God.
The government wants it. So does a sociopath bent on ruling Eisenstadt. But when Adewole discovers who the mechanical creature is--and what it can do--he risks his heart and his life to protect the Machine God from the world, and the world from the Machine God." [Source]

Of course there will be more books. For more information please visit
The Drifting World Chronicles.



Money makes the world go round and is part of dreams and imagination.
Over at Dark Roasted Blend you can have a look at
Fictional Currency and Imaginary Money



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

What did I do in the days without Internet access beside go to work and try to fix the problem? I must say I was not in the right mood either for reading or writing reviews. Instead my wife and I started to play another video game which I mentioned in issue #1309: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.
We love the game which looks gorgeous and delivers a lot of content.
Following video review will give you a good impression about what to expect.

It is addicting. But today I did not play because I wanted to write this post and return to reading.

That's all for today. See you next time....



Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

How we do see things is not question of using glasses or not .......


"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Anais Nin, US (French-born) author & diarist (1903 - 1977)

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good selection of books this week!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great to have you back, Edi.
The Red Knight looks awesome.
So do the other titles, but my reading list is so long I have to pick and choose. :)


Michael said...

Hi Alex,

thank you! There are a lot more books to come as I know from visitng of some of my preferred blogs.

Michael said...

Hi Rosalie,
I'm really glad to be back. Now it need to resume reading and writing reviews.

I think both of us could spend as much as possible time for reading without an impact on our never-ending reading list :-))

Zoltán Gecse said...

I'm a little bit worrying about your reading progress in connection with the Malazan books. Fortunatelly I aimed myself smaller achivements, like finishing The first law trilogy, some so called, but yes missed classics from sci-fi and fantasy writters.

About Google Reader: Some months ago when the Google had announced the closing of iGoogle, you mentioned the Netvibes as an alternative. If the refreshing of feeds will improve then I'll change to that service. It looks like an useful alternative to replace the Google Reader.

hibilala said...

After reading your post, I am looking forward to this. Your post is particular useful, plz keep going. Sometimes I buy and sell runescape accounts to enjoy more fun.

Mark Lawrence said...

good to have you back online!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...