Sunday, March 03, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1309

Hello and welcome to issue #1309 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Look at the calendar. We reached March 2013! Where has the time gone? Again I'm late with my . But there is a reason for that. No, no it has nothing to do with my workload. Yesterday (Saturday) was a day with sunshine!! For you it maybe nothing unusual but for us in Germany it has been something extraordinary. There was no sunshine in the past months. So I enjoyed the sun instead of writing the post. With every hour of sunshine my mood changed to the better. I feel great today even the sky is grey again. I'm no sun worshipper but the past months showed me the impact of insufficient sunshine.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copy
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The impact of visiting other blogs
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sharing interests

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Sun

The Lighthouse

I finished a book yesterday which made me happy. My reading progress is still poor but I hope it will change now to the better.


I finished

- The Astrologer (epub ARC, March 2013) by Scott G F Bailey.

What a surprising read. This is a well done historical fiction. I try to review it soon.


I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 85 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
No progress this week

- 237 pages in The Secrets of the Lazarus Club (pp, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0141035895] by Tony Pollard

No progress this week

- 54 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.

No progress this week





Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Author Michael Drakich is a man who likes to write books in different genres. In August 2012 I reviewed his fantasy novel The Brotherhood of Piaxia. In December 2012 I reviewed his science fiction novel Grave is the Day. Recently he sent me a digital copy of his latest book Lest The Dew Rust Them which is a thriller. He liked my reviews of his precious books and would like to read what I think about his new book. I must say that the description is promising enough to give it a try.
Lest The Dew Rust Them (digital, February 2013) [ASIN: B00BKJYBUU] by Michael Drakich
"Terrorism in America has a new game…decapitations! Homeland Security Director Robert Grimmson faces the task of catching five men in New York City. They call themselves the Sword Masters with a single minded plan of terror through decapitations. Barely has the task begun when a new arrival at JFK is a man importing thousands of swords! Alexander Suten-Mdjai is a trainer in the deadly art of swordsmanship and Robert cannot help but believe there is a connection between him and the Sword Masters. As he goes about the task, each step in his search is made more difficult through the interference of politicians, the media and his own government. Robert’s examination constantly draws him back to Alexander who regales him with a tale of swordsmanship from his lineage featuring events of mankind’s bloody past and often oddly having a connection to the case before him. With the clock ticking as New York collapses into a deep panic, he must catch the Sword Masters before it is too late!" [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Today I want to show you what happens when I visit blogs. I admit that I do not have enough time to spend hours online in order to discover new books. Like you I follow blogs and whenever I find interesting books I share the information with you.

Do you know The Speculative Scotsman, the blog of Niall Alexander? If not I recommend to give it a try. Niall has a very unique style.
It was his review of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  which got the ball rolling. This is not a book review! It is a post about a so called JRPG (Japanese role-playing game). I sent a link of the review and a link of the following video review to my wife.

Like me, my wife liked it immediately and she ordered a copy of the game. The copy has been delivered yesterday and today (Sunday) we have had a first look. It is absolutely gorgeous!

You may remember that l talked about the new upcoming book CassaStorM by Alex J. Cavanaugh. He is also an enthusiastic and communicative blogger.
I found a book which aroused my interest in his post Big Thanks, Ninja News, Jewel of Shaylor Cover Reveal, and a Neumarian Uprising!
I talk about  Escapement (digital, February 2013) [Kindle Asin: B00BC1H1I0] by Ciara Knight which is the first book in the Neumarian Chronicles series.
"Ten years after the great war of 2185 the queen’s reign is threatened by uprisings and fear. In celebration of my sixteenth birthday it is my duty as princess to sacrifice a slave to be initiated into the ruling council, solidifying my mother’s empire. When my own erratic powers surface I’m captured and tried for treason. Slaves hate me, my mother wants me executed, and my only chance of survival rests in the hands of a young man, Ryder Arteres, whose sister I sentenced to death." [Source]

The blurb has been interesting enough for me to buy a digital copy. I'm sure that I would not have discovered the book without following Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog. I think it is getting more and more difficult to arouse interest for a book without having a contract with one of the major publishers. Fortunately there are examples that it is possible to arise interest with a lot of enthusiasm, endurance and power. Alex J. Cavanaugh and his Cassa series is a very good example for that.

The Wertzone is another excellent blog. Yesterday I read Adam's review of The Grim Company by Luke Scull.
I recommend to read the convincing  and helpful review. 
Anyway I deliver the description and the cover. The great thing is that you can get a massive free sample for free over at Amazon UK, Amazon DE and AMAZON US. Despite that the price for the whole digital copy is unbeatable:  £1.71,EUR 2,14, $2.79 !!!
The Grim Company (digital, ) [Kindle Asin: B00APDVEJI] by Luke Scull
"The grey granite walls of Dorminia rise to three times the height of a man, surrounding the city on all sides save for the south, where the Broken Sea begins. The stone is three-foot thick at its weakest point and can withstand all but the heaviest assault. The Crimson Watch patrol the streets even as Salazar's Mindhawks patrol the skies.
The Grey City was not always so. But something has changed. Something has broken at its heart. Perhaps the wild magic of the dead Gods has corrupted Dorminia's Magelord, as it has the earth itself. Or perhaps this iron-fisted tyranny is the consequence of a lifetime of dark deeds...
Still, pockets of resistance remain. When two formidable Highlanders save the life of a young rebel, it proves the foundation for an unlikely fellowship. A fellowship united against tyranny, but composed of self-righteous outlaws, crippled turncoats and amoral mercenaries. A grim company. But with the world entering an Age of Ruin, this is not a time of heroes..."[Source]

Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' Reviews has an interesting feature named Waiting on Wednesday which is used to spotlight upcoming books. The latest post delivered information about the upcoming steampunk book Bronze Gods (pb, April 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0425258194] by A A Aguirre. The Description intrigued me:

"Hy Breasil is grimmer than it used to be.
Before the Architect closed the door, there were regular crossings, and a great war decimated both humans and Ferishers. The native fae who refused to treat with the invaders faded; their bodies withered and died, stranding them as hungry, angry spirits that haunt the countryside.
That means there’s always trouble brewing in Dorstaad. Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko work for the Criminal Investigation Department, keeping citizens safe from things that go bump in the night. He’s a hardboiled cynic with an uncanny sixth sense; she’s determined to justify her promotion as the first female detective in her division. Together, they’re trying to keep a black tide from drowning the city.
But when the second body surfaces, murdered with the same type of infernal device, the entire CID must face the truth. There’s a madman on the loose, twining magic and blood… and only Mikani and Ritsuko can unravel the intricate, lethal conspiracy before the Royale killer completes his macabre plan, unleashing old, forbidden magic on an unsuspecting populace. If the maniac succeeds, it could mean the end of everything…" [Source]
I ordered a paperback copy in advance and await the delivery beginning of May.


I really like to visit Alternate History. The new release posts show books which I do not see on other blogs. The new releases post from 26th of February mentioned a series which I never read about before: London Darkness by Christopher Stocking.  It did not take long to find out, that the book shown is the second in the series. I read about the two books over at GOODREADS. The descriptions of the book led to the irresistible wish to get copies. Whenever I find the combination of Victorian London, dirigibles and automatons mixed with unusual characters interesting characters. So you will not be surprised when I tell you that I now own digital copies of:

London Darkness: Infernal Inventions (digital, 2012) [Kindle Asin: B008BO5S68] by Christopher Stocking.
"Victorian London–When Ryker Mayson comes across the dead body of a high-ranking member from the League of Inventors, his life changes forever. Murder, lies, and deceit become all too familiar as Ryker searches the dark city streets to find out who is behind these deaths, and why. With the help of Wendell, his Gnomish best friend, Celia, his prostitute lover, and some newly made friends from the League, he scours the city in search of whomever is lurking in the shadows, slaying unsuspecting inventors for taking part in a tragic injustice." [Source]
London Darkness: War of the Devices (digital, February 2013) [Kindle Asin: B008BO5S68] by Christopher Stocking.
"Fifteen years have passed since the events with Caiden and the forces of Partum Chaos transpired, and the League of Inventors is flourishing with Ryker and Adelina as Head Inventors. London's defenses are at peak performance, and all seems well for Ryker; his wife, Celia; and Lance, their fifteen-year-old son. But, when a mysterious Frenchman arrives with talks of impending war, American musicians in the forest, and strange automatons, Ryker must figure out who is his friend, and who is his foe in order to save what he has worked so hard to create." [Source]


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Regularly readers of the blog will know that sometimes I do unusual things. This week you get neither a movie trailer nor short movies.
This week I want to talk about sharing interests, love and happiness.

In May my wife and I will celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. That is a long time. Five years before our wedding a young hero entered the world of video games: LINK
He is the star of the Nintendo video game series The Legend of Zelda.
Since 1991 my wife and I follow the video series on all the various consoles (NES, SNES, N64GC, Wii). It is amazing that we still love each other and we still share the love for video games in common and the love for the Legend of Zelda series in detail. The only thing that changed was the time we spent for playing. In November 2011 we both have been overwhelmed by SKYRIM which is an absolutely awesome game. At the same time the latest Legend of Zelda has been released. But we did not pay attention to The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Wii. That changed by end of last week! We went to the local Toys'R'us in order to have a look at new board games. By random we found out that they offered reduced copies of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword!!! Instantly we forgot the board games and bought a copy.
Since then we enjoy ourselves in the evening by playing the game. Of course it is a single player game. But it makes so much fun to discover the world together!! I don't know if you can imagine what it means to play video games together with my beloved wife after so many years.
The following video review shows why we love this game:


That's all for today. See you next time....



Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The post started with sun and it ends with sun .......


"If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.

Benjamin Franklin, US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I got to read a review copy of Ciara's book - it's really good!

Mary said...

It was sunny in Seattle this weekend, too; I well understand how you needed to get out and enjoy it! I'd like to know what you thought of "The Astrologer," in more detail, though.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Love the quote...
We are enjoying some sunshine too after weeks of rain. Our summer has left us damp and feeling as though it was a non event.
Still, it's lovely to see the blue sky and sunshine again, even if the heat has gone.

It is lovely to enjoy time with your wife playing Zelda. Why not. Good on you.

Even more interesting books to read and look forward to reading. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...