Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1308

Hello and welcome to issue #1308 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
On Friday evening I returned from my business trip to Spain. We stayed in a hotel near Barcelona. Weatherwise it has been like the change from night to day. In Germany we had snow, wind, grey sky and temperature below zero. In Spain it was sunny and around 15 C° (= 59 °F). There was no time for reading except on the flight itself. On Saturday I relaxed and spent time with my wife instead of writing the post. I hope you may understand that. To be honest I work hard on the return to my normal posting schedule. I never thought it would be that difficult.

UPDATE!! I wrote the post on Sunday and clicked the Publish button. Today (Tuesday) I noticed that the post was still in draft mode!! I'm sorry for that.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New book
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Heart's desire
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Supersizers Go Victorian 2 to 6

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Orientation

The Lighthouse

177 pages are a poor reading progress. It is so sad when you crave for reading but you fail because you are too tired.



I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 85 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson


- 237 pages in The Secrets of the Lazarus Club (pp, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0141035895] by Tony Pollard

- 54 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.

- 103 pages in The Astrologer (epub ARC, March 2013) by Scott G F Bailey.




Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

During my absence I received a copy of following book which I ordered in advance.


 like to see when publisher try to push their authors by delivering more than just a review copy. Last week I received a press kit from Rhemalda Publishing, which included a review copy in different formats and a lot of additional material (interview, auhtor bio, reader's guide, press release, cover and more)!!!
The Prisoner of Heaven (pb, March 2013) [ISBN: 978-0062223470] by
Carlos Ruiz Zafón.


"Barcelona, 1957. It is the week before Christmas in the Sempere & Sons bookshop. Daniel Sempere has married the love of his life, Bea, and they have had a son whilst their partner in crime, Fermín, is busy preparing for his wedding to Bernarda in the New Year. Just when it seems as if luck is finally smiling on them, a mysterious figure with a pronounced limp enters the shop. He insists on buying the most expensive volume on display—a beautiful illustrated edition of The Count of Monte Cristo—and then proceeds to inscribe the book with the words ‘For Fermín Romero de Torres, who came back from the dead and who holds the key to the future’. Who is this man and what does he want of Fermín? The answer lies in a terrible secret that has lain hidden for two decades, an epic tale of imprisonment, betrayal, murder and love that leads back into the very heart of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books."
[Source]
This book is something special for me because it continues the story which started with The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. And this week I found following

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

On Friday, 22nd of February 2013, author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh revealed the cover and the blurb of the third and final book in the Cassa series. It is my heart's desire to share the information with you:

I read, liked and reviewed the two previous books:
My CassaStaR review and
My CassaFirE review which include the book trailers

CassaStorM
Alex J. Cavanaugh
(September 17th, 2013) 
[Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] 
[E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019]
 "A storm gathers across the galaxy…

Byron thought he’d put the days of battle behind him. Commanding the Cassan base on Tgren, his only struggles are occasional rogue pirate raids and endless government bureaucracies. As a galaxy-wide war encroaches upon the desert planet, Byron’s ideal life is threatened and he’s caught between the Tgrens and the Cassans.

After enemy ships attack the desert planet, Byron discovers another battle within his own family. The declaration of war between all ten races triggers nightmares in his son, shaking Bassan to the core and threatening to destroy the boy’s mind.

Meanwhile the ancient alien ship is transmitting a code that might signal the end of all life in the galaxy. And the mysterious probe that almost destroyed Tgren twenty years ago could be on its way back. As his world begins to crumble, Byron suspects a connection. The storm is about to break, and Byron is caught in the middle…"





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

To be honest I lost appetite after I watched the second part of the video covering Victorian life. In order to get other pictures in my head I continued dirctl with part three. I think you will understand the reason for that as soon as you have watched the second part. After that I could not resist to watch the rest of the videos. So ou get them all today. Have a look whenever you are in the right mood and have some spare time   ....


The Supersizers Go Victorian 2

The Supersizers Go Victorian 3

The Supersizers Go Victorian4

The Supersizers Go Victorian 5

The Supersizers Go Victorian 5

Anyway now I know that Victorian food is nothing for me ................... except fish and chips and an ale from time to time.

That's all for today. See you next time....




Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There is a reason why I like maps, real maps made of paper .......


"If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else.

Laurence J. Peter, US educator & writer (1919 - 1988)

4 comments:

SQT said...

I really, really need to go back and finish the Zafon series. "The Shadow of the Wind" was sooo good.

ediFanoB said...

Hi SQT,

thanks for stopping by. I fully agree with you. I think we both face the same problem: Not enough time for reading.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Another great post Edi,
How interesting 'The Prisoner of Heaven' is set in Barcelona, too. Stranger things.. hey!!
Time... you know they say it is speeding up. Or has it now begun to slow down again, since we passed DEC 2012.. hmmm... I must find time to brush up on my conspiracy theories again, (since the world didn't end).

I don't think the Victorian era would suit me. Hmm.
Really, time travel from where I am sitting is quite daunting. Anything further back than 200 years would have me trying to survive with the Aborigines in the stone age... rather than Victorian or even Medieval.
Scary thought...

Thanks for an entertaining post. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks, Edi!! Not sure why this never appeared in my Google Reader. Sorry I missed it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...