Sunday, February 10, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1306

Hello and welcome to issue #1306 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
First of all I want apologize for the delayed delivery. 
I thought that I'm back in the world of books and blogs. I would, if I had not been so tired in the evening after a lot of extra hours at work. I do not complain because without the job there would be no Lighthouse.
I hope there will be more time for the blog in future. So far I do not want to abandon the blog. But when there will be not enough time to deliver more then hot air ..... It seems that 2013 will be the year where I have to show a lot of endurance.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books
  2. Am I dreaming?
  3. A giveaway
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The maze in my head
  2. Are the Worms really big?
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Victorian
  2. Victorian
  3. Victorian
  4. Victorian

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Philosophy

The Lighthouse

I still do not really know how I finished two books Last week. Was it a dream? I'm not sure because I found another book beside me and which looks like I'm reading that too. That sounds as confusing as I am.
FromTueasday to Saturday I read in sum 261 pages.


I finished

- Great North Road (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00844Y4UQ] by Peter F. Hamilton

- Morlock Night (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661005] by K. W. Jeter



I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 18 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
No progress

- 98 pages in The Secrets of the Lazarus Club (pp, 2008) [ISBN-13: 978-0141035895] by Tony Pollard
"London, 1857 - A series of mutilated corpses are pulled from the Thames. Young surgeon Dr George Phillips is first consulted, and then suspected, by baffled police...
Meanshile, a secret society meets. This gathering of the finest minds of the age - Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Charles Babbage, Charles Darwin and others - wish to use their discoveries to change the world...
But there are those who use the club for their own mysterious and dark ends. With his reputation and his life on the line, Dr Phillips must unmask the plotters before they unleash on an unsuspecting world an awesome scientific power..." [Source]



Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received a copy of following book:
The Coldest War (pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0356501703] by Ian Tregillis.
"For decades, Britain's warlocks have been all that stands between the British Empire and the Soviet Union - a vast domain stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the shores of the English Channel. Now each wizard's death is another blow to Britain's national security.
Meanwhile, a brother and sister - the subjects of a twisted Nazi experiment to imbue ordinary people with superhuman abilities - escape from a top-secret facility deep behind the Iron Curtain. They head for England, because that's where former spy Raybould Marsh lives. And Gretel, the mad seer, has plans for him.
As Marsh is once again drawn into the world of Milkweed, he discovers that Britain's darkest acts didn't end with the war. And while he strives to protect queen and country, he is forced to confront his own willingness to accept victory at any cost." [Source]

This is the second book in the Milkweed Triptych series which started with the excellent Bitter Seeds



Am I dreaming?
While checking my links for this issue of the Weekend Wave I found a link to a book and I could neither remember where I found the hint for this specific books nor when I copied and pasted the link. That is eerie. I read the blurb for this specific book and to my surprise, I like it a lot. I added the book immediately to my list. Maybe you will like it too or read about it.
Gideon's Angel (pb,26th February 2013) [ISBN13: 978-1781080849] by Clifford Beal.
"He came back to kill a tyrant. He found the Devil instead. An amazing historical novel with a supernatural twist set after the English Civil War. This is the stunning debut from Clifford Beal.He came back to kill a tyrant. He found the Devil instead.
1653: The long and bloody English Civil War is at an end. King Charles is dead and Oliver Cromwell rules the land as king in all but name. Richard Treadwell, an exiled royalist officer and soldier-for-hire to the King of France and his all-powerful advisor, the wily Cardinal Mazarin, burns with revenge for those who deprived him of his family and fortune. He decides upon a self-appointed mission to return to England in secret and assassinate the new Lord Protector. Once back on English soil however, he learns that his is not the only plot in motion.
A secret army run by a deluded Puritan is bent on the same quest, guided by the Devil’s hand. When demonic entities are summoned, Treadwell finds himself in a desperate turnaround: he must save Cromwell to save England from a literal descent into Hell. But first he has to contend with a wife he left in Devon who believes she’s a widow, and a furious Paris mistress who has trailed him to England, jeopardising everything. Treadwell needs allies fast. Can he convince the man sent to forcibly drag him back to Cardinal Mazarin? A young king’s musketeer named d’Artagnan.
Black dogs and demons; religion and magic; Freemasons and Ranters. It’s a dangerous new Republic for an old cavalier coming home again." [Source]

I recommend to read


In two months time The Forever Knight (hc and Kindle, April 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0756407513 and ASIN: B007P7HRG6] by John Marco will be published. It is not his first novel. Have a look at his bibliography.
"Lukien is the Bronze Knight, beloved by his kingdom and renowned in battle throughout his world. After betraying his king and losing his beloved, he wishes only for death, but rather than die, Lukien is given a chance for redemption: to be the protector of the Inhumans—those fragile mortals who live deep in the desert, far from the prying eyes of their world. These remarkable individuals have been granted magical powers in exchange for the hardships and handicaps life has handed them. And Lukien, now immortal himself, must be their champion. But how can one man, even an immortal warrior, protect hundreds from a world of potential enemies?" [Source]
You would like to get a first impression? Then read the first chapter online.
You would like to get more of the book before April 2013? Then I have good news for you!!
John Marco is giving away three advanced reading copies of The Forever Knight.
Just read The Great Galley Giveaway and leave a comment in the comment section of the blog.

GOOD LUCK !!


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


The Maze in my head
or
the if you get a digital review copy of an interesting book which get lost in the fast growing "pile" of digital books, returns to the surface by reading reviews and get lost again for months until it returns with the discovery of an interview with the author. Thanks to Sci-Fi Fan Letter for their Lee Collins interview.
For all of you who do not want to read the interview, I deliver the book details: The Dead of Winter (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-0857662729] by Lee Collins which is the first book in the Cora Oglesby series.
"Cora and her husband hunt things - things that shouldn't exist. When the marshal of Leadville, Colorado, comes across a pair of mysterious deaths, he turns to Cora to find the creature responsible, but if Cora is to overcome the unnatural tide threatening to consume the small town, she must first confront her own tragic past as well as her present." [Source]
The second book in the Cora Oglesby series - She returns from War (pb and kindle, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0857662750 and ASIN: B00B7A19LG] - is available now.





"Are the worms really big?"
This is the header of a guest post about how to make fantasy believable by author Robert V S Reddick of at A Fantasy Reader.
I like this kind of post interesting and inspiring.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Where are the trailers? I did not find one which I would like to share with you. Therefore you get something really different.
I like steampunk. You may know that of steampunk stories are set in Victorian England. I'm sure you have seen Victorian dresses and inventions. But what do you know about Victorian English? It is no secret that people used different words and also words have had a different meaning. It seems that nowadays you find a video answer for nearly every question on youtube.

It did not take that long to discover the following videos which I like to share with you today. The deliver information in an entertaining way and I promise you, that there will be a smile on your face once a while.


Victorian Criminal Slang


Polite Victorian House

Victorian Slang

Victorian Names



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

A good advice .......


"I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

Alice Roosevelt Longworth, US author & wit (1884 - 1980)


7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm glad I'm not in your head - funny!
Good haul on books this week.
And good to have you back!

John Marco said...

Thank you for mentioning Forever Knight and the giveaway! Much appreciated. I will send you a review copy soon.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Good work. Glad you found time to keep up the blog and reading.
I found the first chapter of The Forever Knight captivating.
As usual... my reading list grows longer.
Thanks.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

the content of my head is a funny thing. Sometimes it feels there is someone else living there.

Will visit your blog soon.

ediFanoB said...

Hi John,

thanks for stopping by. It was a pleasure to mention the Foverer King. I look forward to read and review it.

I will let you know when the review copy arrives.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

I think when we put our reading list together we will cover the distance from Earth to Moon ;-)

Rosalie Skinner said...

hehehe.. Edi... thank goodness my kindle holds hundreds of books! If I had to store my 'to read' list on shelves I would have to add more shelves and more rooms!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...