Saturday, February 02, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1305


Hello and welcome to issue #1305 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Finally I'm back in the world of books and blogs. Since 19th of January
I missed to write two issues of Edi's Weekend Wave. Instead I spent my time on our crashed PC at  home. And I have been successful!You will understand what I went through when you ever built up a PC on your own including installation of operating system and software.
My reading progress dropped to nearly zero. I don't know how long it will take to answer all the mails and to check the unread entries in my Google Reader. I does not matter as I enjoy to be back.

I hope you will like the first issue of Edi's Weekend Wave after the unforeseen break.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Maps, maps, maps
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Prototype
  2. After Earth

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Visit

The Lighthouse

This a summary of what I read since January 14th. I finished three books and read in sum 770 pages in 18 days . the past days due to one reason: I have been to tired after long working days. In sum I read y348 pages from Tuesday to Saturday.

I finished

- ACK-ACK MACAQUE (pb, January 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781080603] by Gareth L. Powell.

- Gardens of the Moon (hc,10th Anniversary Edition 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0593065068] by Steven Erikson

- The Time Machine (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B004XVQ73G] by H. G. Wells
It has been a great pleasure to read the original story.


I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 133 pages in Morlock Night (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661005] by K. W. Jeter

"JUST WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THE TIME MACHINE RETURNED?
At the end of Wells' classic,tale, the traveller returned to the far future in search of his Eloi love. Having acquired his device for themselves, the brutish Morlocks have come back to Victorian England to feed upon docile humanity. But in the hour of England's greatest need, the legends say, its greatest heroes will also return, to fight against its total destruction." [Back of the book]
 I could not withstand to start reading after I finished The Time Machine .


- 636 pages in Great North Road (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00844Y4UQ] by Peter F. Hamilton
A lot of criminal investigation so far

- 18 pages Deadhouse Gates (pp, reprint 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Since January 14th I received two books.

The first one is the second book in Kate Elliott's Spiritwalker Series:
Cold Fire (pb, 2011) [ISBN13: 978-0316080996].
"Only one thing is certain: when Hallows' Night comes, the Wild Hunt will ride - and it feeds on mortal blood. Cat and her cousin Bee are caught in a maze of intrigue, treachery, and magic. Everyone seems to want something from them: the Cold Mages are trying to take them prisoner, and the warlord who wants to conquer all of Europa seems sure they have a special destiny to aid him whether they want to or not. Worse, hidden powers deep in the spirit world are rising, and they are the most dangerous of all. Cat must seek allies and figure out who she can trust in order to save the ones she loves. For if she doesn't, everything will be lost." [Source]
Cold Steel, the third an final book in the Spiritwalker Series will be published in June 2013.


A big thank you goes over the pond to Shellie from Layers of Thought. She has been so kind as to send me an ARC of Tomorrow the Killing (2012) by Daniel Polansky.
"Once he was a hero of the Great War, and then a member of the dreaded Black House. Now he is the criminal linchpin of Low Town. His name is Warden. He thought he had left the war behind him, but a summons from up above brings the past sharply, uncomfortably, back into focus. General Montgomery's daughter is missing somewhere in Low Town, searching for clues about her brother's murder. The General wants her found, before the stinking streets can lay claim to her, too." [Source]
I recommend to read John's review over at Layers of Thought.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Maps! I really like maps. Today I have two links for you.

The first map is related to the awesome Broken Empires trilogy. The final volume - Emperor of Thorns - will be published in August 2013. Author Marc Lawrence has been so kind as to share the map he sent to his publisher Voyager.

The good guys over at Dark Roasted Blend continue there post series about maps with


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today I show you two movie trailers. It seems there will be some science fiction movies hit the theatres in 2013 ...

The Prototype is an upcoming science fiction thriller. It is the story about the hunt of a humanoid drone which escaped from a military facility. That does not sound spectacular, fresh and new. Hopefully it will be a bit more than a plain action movie. The prototype looks quite interesting with the contradiction between the high tech fingers and the odd looking head.
Don't get confused. There is a second movie with the same title!




After Earth is an upcoming science fiction movie.
"One thousand years after cataclysmic events forced humanity's escape from Earth, Nova Prime has become mankind's new home. Legendary General Cypher Raige returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his 13-year-old son, Kitai. When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitai's craft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar and dangerous Earth. As his father lies dying in the cockpit, Kitai must trek across the hostile terrain to recover their rescue beacon. His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance." Written by Columbia Pictures

So far I did not build up my mind whether I want to see the movie or not ...

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

A good advice .......


"Once in a while you have to take a break and visit yourself.
Audrey Giorgi

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

After Earth looks promising, however - it IS M. Night Shyamalan. And i'd seen the first trailer for Prototype a while ago. Think it's a very small budget film.
Glad you're back! And yes, I've installed and rebooted and reconfigured A LOT of computers.

Zoltán Gecse said...

It was good to read a new full weekend wave from you, Edi!

I totally know what a new PC built up and installing a new OS means. I used to love to did these things, but nowdays I don't want to do. Time changes...

I always admire the authors who can build whole worlds with detailed continents, with hills, lakes and rivers. Not to mention the countries. I think it's a great thing to create whole imaginable worlds with believable flora and fauna. Or create new boundaries on map of our Earth with interesting new countries and fictional uniques (such as strange minerals, new 'historical' heroes, invetions, etc).

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Glad you are back.
Computers are great while they are working. :)
Maps are fun. Whether from scratch, creating the world, or using existing borders and cartography.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex, Zoltán and Rosalie,

I'm sorry for my delayed comment.

Thank you for your kind words. I must say I missed my weekend post. Next step will be to get a review online.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...