Saturday, January 12, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1302

Hello and welcome to issue #1302 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Incredible how fast the last week passed. Today my wife and I visited an exhibition:
"Gustave Caillebotte. AN IMPRESSIONIST AND PHOTOGRAPHY 18. October - 20. January 2013 
The SCHIRN KUNSTHALLE Frankfurt is devoting an extensive exhibition of paintings, pastels and drawings to Gustave Caillebotte (1848-1894). Whereas in Germany the life and work of Caillebotte are only now beginning to spark interest and appreciation, in France, the United Kingdom and in the United States the artist is considered a star of Impressionism. His radical, very modern, photography-like depictions provide insight into the close relationship between photography and painting in the evolution of a new way of seeing. Thanks to the unusual perspectives resulting from the way, Caillebotte framed his windows on the world, may of his works anticipate a photographic view which would only gradually evolve in that medium.The exhibition thus also encompasses outstanding examples of late nineteenth and early twentieth-century photography as a way of calling attention to Caillebotte´s pioneering role." [Source]
Following video shows some of his paintings.
I I must say to see some of these paintings in reality impressed me.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Two new books
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Steampunk in oil
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Dark Vessel

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Religion

The Lighthouse

I could not read as much as I wanted in the past days due to one reason: I have been to tired after long working days. In sum I read y348 pages from Tuesday to Saturday.


I'm

- still 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
No progress this week

- 358 pages in Gardens of the Moon (hc,10th Anniversary Edition 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0593065068] by Steven Erikson
Many interesting characters, intrigues, magic, history and fighs ...

- 354 pages in Great North Road (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00844Y4UQ] by Peter F. Hamilton
A lot of criminal investigation so far



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received two books. The first book is a review copy.
The second book is a paperback copy I ordered in advance several months ago. 

Tor/Forge.com has been so kind as to sent me of the sequel to   The Quantum Thief (hc, US, May 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765329493] by Hannu Rajaniemi.
The story continues with The Fractal Prinec (hc, US, November 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765329509].
"The good thing is, no one will ever die again. The bad thing is, everyone will want to.

A physicist receives a mysterious paper. The ideas in it are far, far ahead of current thinking and quite, quite terrifying. In a city of “fast ones,” shadow players, and jinni, two sisters contemplate a revolution. And on the edges of reality a thief, helped by a sardonic ship, is trying to break into a Schrödinger box for his patron. In the box is his freedom. Or not.

Jean de Flambeur is back. And he’s running out of time.

In Hannu Rajaniemi’s sparkling follow-up to the critically acclaimed international sensation The Quantum Thief, he returns to his awe-inspiring vision of the universe…and we discover what the future held for Earth." [Source]
I read The Quantum Thief and remember that sometimes the story confused me.

I wanted a copy of the following book since I read the description.
ACK-ACK MACAQUE (pb, January 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781080603] by Gareth L. Powell.
"In 1944, as waves of German ninjas parachute into Kent, Britain’s best hopes for victory lie with a Spitfire pilot codenamed ‘Ack-Ack Macaque’. The trouble is, Ack-Ack Macaque is a cynical, one-eyed, cigar-chomping monkey, and he’s starting to doubt everything, including his own existence.

A century later, in a world where France and Great Britain merged in the late 1950s and nuclear-powered Zeppelins encircle the globe, ex-journalist Victoria Valois finds herself drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the man who butchered her husband and stole her electronic soul. Meanwhile, in Paris, after taking part in an illegal break-in at a research laboratory, the heir to the British throne goes on the run.

And all the while, the doomsday clock ticks towards Armageddon." [Source]
This is definitely the next book I will read.

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

From time to time I talk about blogs I visit. Today I recommend to to visit The Steampunk Tribune and read a post about an artist who paint his steampunk paintings in oil which gives them a unique appearance:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Like the last weeks I show you another CGI short movie instead of a movie trailer. The title of the short movie is DARK VESSEL and offers robos and a dark atmosphere.

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

A look at the news confirm the following quote ...


"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal, French mathematician, physicist (1623 - 1662)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...