Saturday, January 05, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1301

Hello and welcome to issue #1301 of Edi's Weekend Wave which is the first one in 2013.
Fortunately I found some time for reading since the begin of 2013. And I need time for reading when it comes to my reading dreams.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reading progress
  2. My 2013 reading adventure
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A history book
  2. Awesome giveaway
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. UNDERGROUND
  2. Home Theaters
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Red

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Time

The Lighthouse

I will continue to talk about my reading process in a slightly different form. You will find the number of pages I read on the right side at the statistic part. 


ow there are two days left to finish reading my 80th book in 2012! I'm quite happy with the number of books. But I read less pages than in 2011 which shows that the number of books is relative. Nevertheless I did not expect to reach 80 books because there have been weeks where I read nearly nothing. In sum I read 626 pages last week.

I did not finish

- Water Harvest (digital, 2nd edition) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B005MYLBS4] by  Eric Diehl
I stopped reading after 137. I posted about the reasons for that.


I finished

- an unpublished book by Mark Lord, an UK based writer. All in all I liked the historical fiction story with a supernatural touch set in England of 1377 and I could not detect real flaws. The end was different compared to my expectations. asked me if I could read his new novel and tell him if the story is understandable and makes sense. It is historical fiction set in England ...


I'm

- 76 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn
This week I had the pleasure to enjoy chapter five which delivered the fundamentals of Victorian tailoring

- 189 pages in Gardens of the Moon (hc,10th Anniversary Edition 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0593065068] by Steven Erikson


- 78 pages in Great North Road (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00844Y4UQ] by Peter F. Hamilton
This is science fiction and in form of a real book it is like a brick.
I think I forgot to tell that I bought a digital copy last year. Therefore I add the cover and the blurb.
"In Newcastle-upon-Tyne, AD 2142, Detective Sidney Hurst attends a brutal murder scene. The victim is one of the wealthy North family clones – but none have been reported missing. And the crime’s most disturbing aspect is how the victim was killed. Twenty years ago, a North clone billionaire and his household were horrifically murdered in exactly the same manner, on the tropical planet of St Libra. But if the murderer is still at large, was Angela Tramelo wrongly convicted? Tough and confident, she never waivered under interrogation – claiming she alone survived an alien attack. But there is no animal life on St Libra. Investigating this alien threat becomes the Human Defence Agency’s top priority. The bio-fuel flowing from St Libra is the lifeblood of Earth’s economy and must be secured. So a vast expedition is mounted via the Newcastle gateway, and teams of engineers, support personnel and xenobiologists are dispatched to the planet. Along with their technical advisor, grudgingly released from prison, Angela Tramelo. But the expedition is cut off, deep within St Libra’s rainforests. Then the murders begin. Someone or something is picking off the team one by one. Angela insists it’s the alien, but her new colleagues aren’t so sure. Maybe she did see an alien, or maybe she has other reasons for being on St Libra ... This is a stunning standalone adventure, by a writer at the height of his powers." [Source]


I'm going on an adventure, an reading adventure. Indeed my reading adventure started on 2nd of January 2013. It is the try true one of my dreams:
- To read all books in the Malazan Empire series within one year

Why is this an adventure for me? Did you know that the ten books by Steven Erikson consist of 10,891 pages and contain 3,300,026 words!
I thought it would be a good idea to visualize these figures.

I own physical copies of all the books by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont except Blood and Bone (pb, Bantam Press, December 2012;  ISBN-13: 978-0593064474) or (pb, Tor Books, May 2013; ISBN-13: 978-0765330017) by Ian C. Esslemont.
The tower of Malazan Empire books shows a height of 64 cm = 25 inches



As you can see I own copies in hard cover, paperback and mass market paperback. I think this must be a horror for collectors. For me it does not matter because I'm happy to own all these books as physical copies. I like to read  digital books but there are still books which I want to have as real books.

All the books have been stored at different locations. While I was searching for them I found many, many other unread books. It seems I have to make some more decisions soon about what I want to read next.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

I did not buy books last week but I expect several books in February.
But I found a book which aroused my interest and therefore I would like to share with you:
Doktor Glass (digital, paperback) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B009NI33R2; ISBN-13: 978-0425258170] by Thomas Brennan
"In the tradition of Drood, a superb supernatural mystery set in Victorian Liverpool.

The Transatlantic Span is the industrial marvel of the nineteenth century, a suspension bridge stretching from Liverpool to New York City. It's a work of art...until a faceless corpse is found in its shadows. Inspector Matthew Langton, tortured by grief for his late wife, takes charge of the investigation, believing the faceless man a part of a conspiracy to assassinate Queen Victoria on the upcoming Inauguration Day of the Span. But the truth is far more bizarre. There are chilling rumors of the Jar Boys, soul snatchers who come under cover of night. Most frightening of all is the mythic and elusive Doktor Glass, who may not only be behind the illicit trade in souls...but who may hold the key to what happened to the inspector's own beloved wife on her deathbed. Exciting and atmospheric, Brennan's debut novel is at once a page-turning mystery, a tour de force of revisionist imagination, and a gripping drama of the lengths people go to assuage grief in the name of love." [Source]
A bridge from Liverpool to New York City ...Supernatural mystery ... Victorian era ... in the tradition of Drood.
That aroused my interest.  I loved to read Drood (pb, 2009) [ISBN-13: 978-1847249326] by Dan Simmons. I expressed my liking inMy review of Drood.

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

It is no secret that I like The Chronicles of Caleath series by  Rosalie Skinner a lot. I think my post from September 18th 2012 shows express exactly what I mean.
In less than a fortnight book six UNDERGROUND: The Day of the Sun will be released.
Publisher MuseItUp is preparing the publishing day and I got the permission from author Rosalie Skinner to present you the brand new banner!
I must say I like what they did and I look forward to read UNDERGROUND: The Day of the Sun.

Imagine you have enough money and space to build your own cinema home theater. My home theater would be inspired by steampunk. But I must say that the ones shown over at WebUrbanist are impressive. Have a look at


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Like last week I show you another CGI short movie instead of a movie trailer. The title of the short movie is RED and offers a dark atmosphere.



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Another true word from author H. G. Wells which I should memorize and tell it myself regularly ...


"We must not allow the clock and the calendar to blind us to the fact that each moment of life is a miracle and mystery.
H. G. Wells, English author, historian, & utopian (1866 - 1946)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...