Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Edi's DNF: Water Harvest by Eric Diehl

Dear Readers,

as I wrote yesterday, I use now a new post category in order to give an explanation why I did not finish reading a book.
I can't write reviews about books which I did not finish.

The History
In November 2012 I received a review request from author Eric Diehl for his science fiction novel Water Harvest (digital, 2nd edition) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B005MYLBS4].
After reading the follwing blurb I accepted the request and told the author, who sent me a digital cop, that I will read and review Water Harvest at the end of January 2013.
"The continuous harvest of atmospheric moisture by lunar orbiters foments a plan set in place to destroy the Harvest fleet, but it is derailed by a twist that allows time for development of a technological work-around. Time passes, and the ruling Houses are caught unawares by an invasion intended to wrest control of the Harvest. The interlopers are aided by wizard-like practitioners whose hallucinogen-induced evocations bend the norms of nature to their will.
Cairn, heir to Alar, is taken captive and then dispatched to carry the warlord's edict. The Maester Viizar, Gezladorn, has his own agenda, contrary to that of the lunar warlord. The Maester is able to manipulate some of the players through mind-control, pitting them one against the other.
Cairn learns of a human-like species that has always kept to itself in the planet's vast cavern system, and he leads a band of men and UnderWorlders on a subterranean journey to rise into the bowels of House Alar. Alliances fall apart and it becomes unclear who is the true enemy before Alar ultimately triumphs." [Source]


The Result

I slightly changed my schedule and started reading on first of January 2013. After 11 chapters which means 137 pages I decided to stop reading Water Harvest.

I like to share the reasons why I did not finish the Water Harvest.

In simple words: the book did not work for me. 
Characters are quite important for me. And if I can't connect to characters I get a problem. To whatever reason the characters of did not touch me. I did not care if someone got injured and so on. I really felt separaed for them.

It is the freedom of the author how to name the characters. But it is also the freedom of the reader to like the names or not. I found the names sometimes confusing. And the confusion continued with the change of character perspectives.

Beside that I could not cope with the writing style of the author. There has been something which hindered me to find the right reading rhythm.

Don't get me wrong. I did not say anything about the quality of the story. As most readers and also authors know, not every book works for every reader.

I can't give no other recommendation as the following one: You need to find out on your own whether you like
Water Harvest or not.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...