Saturday, December 29, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1253

Hello and welcome to issue #1253 of Edi's Weekend Wave which is the last one  ..... in 2012.
I'm sorry to say, that you will not get rid of me and my blog which looks a bit old fashioned. I know there are new gadgets available but I tend to stick to my format.
I hope you will visit my blog in 2013 as regularly as you did in 2012.
Despite that I hope and wish for myself to deliver more reviews.
And I hope and wish 2013 will see you healthy, full of dreams and ideas and the power to do what you want to do. 

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
  2. Best of 2012?
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A history book
  2. Awesome giveaway
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Reading Advice
  2. Travel Posters
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Reviving Redwood

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Madness

The Lighthouse

Now there are two days left to finish reading my 80th book in 2012! I'm quite happy with the number of books. But I read less pages than in 2011 which shows that the number of books is relative. Nevertheless I did not expect to reach 80 books because there have been weeks where I read nearly nothing. In sum I read 626 pages last week.


I finished

- Time's Arrow (pb, 13th of November 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1781080634] by Jonathan Green which is the latest book in the world of PAX BRITANNIA....


- By Any Other Name (digital, 2nd edition 11th June 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008AP8VJE] by Michel R. Vaillancourt
I liked the first book in the  Sauder Diaries series a lot. This is steampunk plus pirates and more.



I'm

- 52 pages in The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn

This is definitely a great book when you want to learn something about tailoring in Victorian area

- 222 pages in Burton & Swinburne series.
Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder
I resumed reading ...

- 56 pages in an unpublished book. Mark Lord, an UK based writer, asked me if I could read his new novel and tell him if the story is understandable and makes sense. It is historical fiction set in England ...

- 82 pagesin A Bloodier Rose (digital, 1st edition (25th October 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B009NI33R2] by Michel R. Vaillancourt
This is the second book in the  Sauder Diaries series.


As I wrote before I read 80 books in 2012. When you look around, you see a lot of best 2012 books list. This year I decided against such a list. But I will write a bit about my likes and dislikes within next month.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

I'm still interested in history which explain why I buy history books from time to time like today where I found a digital copy of The Knights Templar: The History and Myths of the Legendary Military Order (digital, 19th October 2011) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007BPLTO8] by Sean Martin for just 99 EUR cents. It is a short book with just 160 pages but I hope it will deliver the main facts.
"The Knights Templar were the most powerful military religious order of the Middle Ages. Formed to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land, they participated in the Crusades and rapidly gained wealth, lands and influence and were answerable to none save the Pope himself. In addition to having a fearful military reputation, they were also Christendom's first bankers, and invented the modern banking system that is still in use today, and were also involved in exploration and engineering. Seemingly untouchable for nearly two centuries, the Templars fell from grace spectacularly after the loss of the Holy Land: in 1307, all Templars in France were arrested on charges of heresy, homosexuality, denial of the cross and devil worship. The order was suppressed by the Pope in 1312, and Jacques de Molay, the last Grand Master, was burnt at the stake as a heretic two years later.
The myth of the Templars was born and in the ensuing seven centuries, they have exerted a unique influence over European history: orthodox historians see them as nothing more than soldier-monks whose arrogance was their ultimate undoing, while others see them as occultists of the first order, the founders of Freemasonry, possessors of the Holy Grail and creators of the Turin Shroud. Sean Martin considers both the orthodox and conspiratorial version of events, and includes the latest revelations from the Vatican Library." [Source]


Would you like to win a set of Courtney Schafer's 
The Whitefire Crossing (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] and   The Tainted City (pb, October, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833].

Then I recommend to visit Pat's Fantasy Hotlist by following THIS LINK.

Over there you also find the blurbs of both books.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

When it comes to reading a  series, I like to get an advice in which order it makes sense to read the books. I still belong to the people who read only the first book in the  Malazan Empire series. Fortunately ther are blogs like The Wertzone, which give advicein this matter. So you want to know in whoch order to read the books by Steven Erikson and Ian C. Esslemont then have a look at

Can you imagine fantasy and science fiction without travel? How would fantasy and science fiction related retro travel posters look like? One result is shown over at WebUrbanist. Have a look at



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Instead of a movie trailer I show another CGI short movie. For me this short movie fits to the near end of the year. It is a bit melancholic but also offers a new beginning.


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I never learned Latin but I also did not conquer the world ...


"The Romans would never have found time to conquer the world if they had been obliged first to learn Latin.
Heinrich Heine, German critic & poet (1797 - 1856)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...