Saturday, December 08, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1250

Hello and welcome to issue #1250 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
This Weekend fom Friday evening to Sunday I attend a sewing course together with my wife. That means I did not have much time to prepare this issue. Despite that my nose is still dripping. 

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A real book
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. What to read in 2013
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Professor Dantes and the Severin Conundrum
  2. Star Trek Into Darkness

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Madness

The Lighthouse

In sum I read 502 pages and finished two books. In relation to my tiredness this is a good result.


I finished

- Grave is the Day (available at Smashwords and Amazon Kindle and paperback) by Michael Drakich
A great mix of historical facts and sf.

-Exiled: The Battle For Enderseer Hold (eBook, November 2011) [MuseItUp Publishing, AMAZON Kindle ASIN: B007JI9DNQ] by Rosalie Skinner.
Another excellent read in the great The Chronicles of Caleath series.


I'm

- 335 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence
At least 80 a progress of 80 pages.


- 167 pages in The Water Room (digital 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003M5IKTS] by Christopher Fowler.
No progress



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Incredible but true: I bought just one book last week. A book which neither belong to fantasy nor science fiction. It is a book related to a new interest of mine: Sewing. I'm espcially interested in Victorian tailoring of men's clothing. I did not take long until I found following book:
The Victorian Tailor (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0312642334] by Jason Maclochlainn

"This unique book is a wide-ranging introduction to the world of Victorian tailoring, including techniques, materials, and patterns. The author, an expert in the field, has dipped into rare 19th-century tailoring sourcebooks and re-created the authentic techniques for today's budding tailor. An introductory section includes: --A glimpse into the 19th-century tailor's shop and the people who worked there --How men's fashion subtly evolved through the decades, with illustrations and Victorian photographs --Tools of the trade, and how they were used--and which ones are still worth using today --Which cloths to use for an authentic Victorian feel, and where to obtain them --The fundamental techniques every tailor should know, from how to sit in the traditional cross-legged manner to the full range of stitches used in the Victorian era. The book then moves on to give detailed instructions on how to draft and cut your own patterns to fit your client exactly, and gives 18 patterns from different decdes, including capes, waistcoats, trousers, frock coats, lounge coats, and even a shooting jacket and breeches for the Victorian sportsman. These are followed by clear and concise step-by-step directions for making up your finished garments, illustrated with authentic period fashion plates showing the essential wardrobe of a Victorian gentleman, this book will appeal to all costume designers, dressmakers, living historians, and those with an interest in creating these beautiful handmade garments, and contains everything you need to create authentic menswear from the period." [Source]
Author "Jason Maclochlainn is a historical consultant, tailor, and patternmaker who started sewing fourteen years ago as a side hobby to gain a better insight into his living history and experimental archaeology projects. Not being satisfied with the resources available for men's costume at the time, Jason put his background in history and archaeology to work. From this he has re-created a Victorian "house style" to re-create period costumes down to the last detail." [Source]
Following video offers a first glimpse of the content.

I can tell you that I'm quite happy with book. Unfortunately I could not spend much time for the book. But the will change in a couple of days ...




No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

To be honest, so far I did not find time to have a look at books which will be published in 2013.
Fortunately there are other blogger who started to talk about interesting books to be available next year.
I read with great pleasure
over at Fantasy Book Critic. In case you do not know this post I highly recommend to read it. I found several books which made it to my list.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


Ilike steampunk and I like short films like the following one. The good thing is that you do not need to listen to the voices of the actors ...


The next Star Trek movie is on the way! And who is playing the bad guy? Benedict Cumberbatch. I like this actor a lot. Have a look at the teaser of Star Trek Into Darkness.

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

If you like opera then enjoy opera. If you do not like opera like me then read the quote .....

"Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Lots of speculations on the Star Trek movie.
We get a long preview of Superman with The Hobbit next week.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Glad you enjoyed The Battle for Enderseer Hold!
I am going to mind my grandkids while my daughter sews today. That's about as close as I get to a sewing machine.
Interesting choice.. The Victorian Tailor. Any topic is intriguing and fascinating when you dig into its history.
Star Trek... looks good.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

The Hobbit starts in Germany on 12-12-12.
My wife and I will go to cinema next week. We decided to go to our local cinema and watch The Hobbit in 2D.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

my plan is to review The Battle for Enderseer Hold within December 2012. Every book in your series is a unique one and I enjoyed them all so far.

I must say I enjoy sewing a lot even I'm a beginner.

jual baju muslim murah said...

Look really great, love the first pic, thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...