Sunday, November 11, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1246

Hello and welcome to issue #1246 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
You get this issue of the Weekend Wave with one day delay and it is a bit shorter than usual.
The reason for that is a course at the local adult education center which I attended together with my wife from Friday to Sunday.
I wanted to do something with my own hands,without using mouse and keaboard. It took a while to decide what to do. Finally I decided to learn sewing!!
I must say it makes a lot of fun but is exhausting at the same time. My first project is to sew a waistcoat. I will show you pictures when the work is done.
Now I'm sitting in front of my notebook and fight against my fatigue.
And now
ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Real book
  2. Gift idea
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Daniel Polanski Interview
  2. PAX BRITANNIA week
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Shapeshifter

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Motto

The Lighthouse

When I look at the time I could spent for reading, I must say I'm happy that I read in sum 465 pages. And with now five books in progress I have always something to read which fit to my mood.


I finished

- Redshirts (hc, June 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765316998] by John Scalzi.

- I finished a German Steampunk short story written by a friend of mine. He is no author and wrote to stories for a competition.


I'm

- 178 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence

A slight progress

- 75 pages in Bending the Boyne (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; ISBN-13: 978-0983155416] by J S Dunn.
no progress

- 84 pages in Mechanicals: A Steampunk Novel of the Crimean War (e-book, 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; amazon.de, amazon.com, amazon.co.uk] by Jordan Stratford. I like the story so far which is told from three different point of views. Dirigibles and mechanicals which appear like the steam driven version of BattleMechs.

- 94 pages in The Water Room (digital 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003M5IKTS] by Christopher Fowler.
This is the second novel in the Bryant and May Mystery series and I love it.

- 71 pages in REVISION 7:DNA (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B009AHUELE; ISBN-13: 978-1935961505] by Terry Persun.
I received a review copy and after reading the blurb I could not resist to open the book and read....
"Time traveling robots, a walking medical experiment turned detective genius, and a kidnapped psychic combine in a story that will tear at your heart and get your adrenaline pumping.
The problem…
When it comes to investigating missing objects, Neil Altman stands out. After all, his parents severed the two halves of his brain when he was a child and then trained him to use each half independently. The problem is that he doesn’t believe in time machines, so Dr. Eric Steffenbraun’s project, stolen or not, already sounds far-fetched.
The proof…
Video is hard to deny, but Neil isn’t sure if the beings coming through the time machine are humans with masks or illegal humanoid robots. Besides, Dr. Steffenbraun could have faked the video if he feared the project was about to be cancelled.
The complication…
Neil’s wife, Mavra, is a well-known psychic in the area, and believes that Neil could be in danger. Knowing how she can get involved even when asked not to, he includes her in on the investigation. His plan is to keep her out of harm’s way. That is until she’s kidnapped.
The wildcard…
Miles away from Neil and the time machine, Fenny is trained to think on his own. He’s a utility robot with little understanding of what’s going on around him except what Dr. Smedley Klein has taught him—for now. Things are about to change for Fenny once Revision 7 is installed." [Source]


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Last I received a paperback copy of  The Dragon Men (pb, November 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0451464880] by Steven Harper which is the third book in the Clockwork Empire series.

"As China prepares to become the ultimate power in an era of extraordinary invention and horror, Alice Michaels' fate lies inside the walls of the forbidden kingdom.... Gavin Ennock has everything a man could desire--except time. As the clockwork plague consumes his body and mind, it drives him increasingly mad and fractures his relationship with his fiancee, Alice, Lady Michaels. Their only hope is that the Dragon Men of China can cure him. But a power-mad general has seized the Chinese throne in a determined offensive to conquer Asia, Britain--indeed, the entire world. He has closed the country's borders to all foreigners. The former ruling dynasty, however, is scheming to return the rightful heir to power. Their designs will draw Gavin and Alice down a treacherous path strewn with intrigue and power struggles. One wrong step will seal Gavin's fate...and determine the future of the world." [Source]
The good thing is that Publisher Roc requested one more  Clockwork Empire novel!!!



Gift idea
I told you about my sewing course which I attended together with my wife.
That leads me directly to another gift idea. Did you ever think about to do something together with your beloved one?
I can tell you that spending time together beyond holiday and family events is a highly valued and appreciated gift. Find something what the two of you would like to do together - sewing is just an example - and present it on Christmas. I promise you an unforgettable celebration.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

One of the blogs I follow is Mithril Wisdom. Jamie Gibbs offers a lot of good stuff.  Don't miss his


I read all PAX BRITANNIA books except the latest one so far. And next week on November 13th, the paperback edition of  Time's Arrow (pb, 13th of November 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1781080634] by Jonathan Green will be published.

"Paris. City of lights. City of lovers. City of dreams. Yet if one man gets his way its inhabitants will soon be forced to endure a nightmare such as they have never known.
But dandy detective and Hero of the British Empire Ulysses Quicksilver is determined to get in his way; although he has problems of his own to deal with first before he can try to rescue the French capital from its earth-shattering fate.
Arriving at a murder scene - with the dead man's blood on his hands - Ulysses is forced to go on the run, so that he might track down the real killer. His intention: to clear his good name, and get back to England in one piece and as quickly as possible; for the love of his life is about to take a most ill-advised trip to the Moon.
But that might be easier said than done, for the terrorist known only as '-Le Papillon' is preparing to bring chaos to the capital.
When a butterfly flaps its wings, a wise man prepares for stormy weather. And with Ulysses Quicksilver involved, it's bound to be the worst storm on record" [Source]

 In order to celebrate the release, author Jonathan Green posted following announcement over at PAX BRITANNIA:
"Pax Britannia Week
In honour of the release of the eighth Ulysses Quicksilver adventure Pax Britannia: Time's Arrow, next week this blog is going to be celebrating all things steampunk.
So, see you on Monday."

Don't miss to visit PAX BRITANNIA if you like steampunk or you want to know more about it.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


I did not find a movie trailer I like. Therefore I present you another fascinating and impressive CGI animated short.
"Awesome animated short "Shapeshifter" created by CHRLX. Gabriel Byrne Narrates A Journey Through A Dream World. For more information on this short please visit http://charlex.com" [Source]

That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote is my motto for the rest of 2012. It fits perfectly...



"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German dramatist, novelist, poet, & scientist (1749 - 1832)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool video! Car to cat to fish to bird and back to car.
Don't think sewing would be my thing. (Don't think it's my wife's thing either - you should watch her try to darn socks!) But we do enjoy museums and such together.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Sometimes I have to sew small things for the kids (cloth of the Barbie dolls) or socks. However one of my grandmother used to made quilts/duvets, shorts and shirts, etc.

I much prefer cooking... mostly cakes and cookies. ;)

It's good to see you had time and energy reading books.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
it is incredible how many impressive videos are available on youtube.

I must say I like sewing. My wife and I like museums too.

I think the most important thing is to do things together.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan,

do you use a sewing machine for the small things?

I like to bake cakes and cookies too. But I have to be careful not to gain weight.

Reading is important for me. But it is difficult to find time for reading. Therefore I look forward to the time between Christmas and New Year where I will have a few days off.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Sewing.. not me. I am with Alex's wife.. it's not for me.
My husband and I do things together though. Last weekend we enjoyed watching test Cricket in Brisbane while we were away over the weekend.
Day three of Aust v South Africa. Some consider it as boring as watching grass grow, but we loved the experience. Being there rather than watching the game on TV.

Another great post. Thanks.
Revision 7: DNA is going on my list for reading over Christmas. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

I think sewing is something special. I must say I like it. But I can't do it during the week. I can't do in the evening because my concentration goes down the drain.
Good to read that you spend time together with you husband.
I know several couples who live side by side intstead of living together.

I assume your Christmas reading list is as long as a short story ;-)

I'm happy that I have two weeks off end of December. That means time for sewing and reading.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...