Saturday, November 03, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1245

Hello and welcome to issue #1245 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
this post is the proof that I still work on my blog despite the fact that I still need to find solutions to reconcile my interests.
Only seven weeks until Christmas left. High to start thinking about presents. I do not belong to the group of people who buy their presents on Chrismas day. What do you think of handmade presents? I know many people (including me) will say that there is no time to do that. I must say my thinking changed a lot in the past months. I think, a handmade present shows appreciation much more than just buying things because you spent something precious for it: TIME!
So I decided to present you a few things and ideas for handmade stuff beside a few book recommendations.
And now
ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Real book
  2. eBook
  3. Gift idea
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Remorse
  2. How to celebrate a special anniversary
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. In the unlikely event of ......

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Fragrance

The Lighthouse

I'm back to reading!!!! But I did not continue to read my books in progress. I really like King of Thorns and Bending the Boyne but I needed something different. So I put my nose in two different books.


I finished

- I have been test reader for book by Joseph Robert Lewis which will be published this winter. It is a steampunk story set in a shared world. I will tell more about it around release date.

I'm

- 138 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence
no progress

- 75 pages in Bending the Boyne (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; ISBN-13: 978-0983155416] by J S Dunn.
no progress

- 159 pages in Redshirts (hc, June 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765316998] by John Scalzi. With this book my joy of reading returned. It is intersting and funny. I think to read a book which often put a smile on my face has been the right "cure".

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Last week the very kind folk over at  Tor/Forge.com surprised me with a copy of Forge of Darkness (hc, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765323569] by
Steven Erikson.
"Steven Erikson returns to the Malazan world with the first book in a dark and revelatory new epic fantasy that tells the tragic story of ruin of a realm.
This is the story of the early years of Anomander Rake, and his brothers, Andarist and Silchas Ruin.
It is a tale that begins within the Age of Darkness and the Birth of Light and involves the forging of a sword unlike any other, and tells of the tragedy that was the collapse of the realm of the Tiste Andii.
It is the story of the devastating civil war that tore their world apart -- a story of bitter family rivalries, of jealousies and betrayals, of wild magic and unfettered power, of death and terriifying destruction. It is the story of a how the goddess of the Tiste, Mother Dark, abandoned her children and turned her back on her people." [Source]

What shall I say? The ten book series The Malazan Book of the Fallen by
Steven Erikson is one of the most epic fantasy series. I own copies of all the books but read the first one only so far and I will not comment that.
In case you never have been in touch with the series I highly recommend to read
over at Neth Space 

If you want to know if it makes sense for newcomers to start reading Forge of Darkness without knowing the series and if it makes sense to start reading Forge of Darkness as an Malazan Empire expert, it is Neth who gives you the proper answer in his

Review: Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson



Let me list a couple of words and expressions.
History, mystery, Victorian aera, archeology, Egypt, female main character, series, .....
Does these words ring a bell? Maybe I should add that the first of 19 books has been published in 1975 and shows impressive rating details on GOODREADS: an average of four stars, 16434 ratings and 1474 reviews.
I talk about  Crocodile on the Sandbank (pb, 1975) by Elizabeth Peters which is the first book in the Amelia Peabody series.

I must say I never read one of these books but that will change due to a discovery last week.
Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk offer a Kindle edition of Amelia Peabody Omnibus (1-4) at a great price (1,29 EUR / 1.19 GBP). I bought a digital copy instantly - who knows how long this offer will be valid ....
"Amelia Peabody is Elizabeth Peters' most brilliant and best-loved creation, a thoroughly Victorian feminist who takes the stuffy world of archaeology by storm with her shocking men's pants and no-nonsense attitude!
In this first adventure, our headstrong heroine decides to use her substantial inheritance to see the world. On her travels, she rescues a gentlewoman in distress - Evelyn Barton-Forbes - and the two become friends. The two companions continue to Egypt where they face mysteries,mummies and the redoubtable Radcliffe Emerson, an outspoken archaeologist, who doesn't need women to help him solve mysteries -- at least that's what he thinks!
Join our plucky Victorian Egyptologist , together with her devastatingly handsome and brilliant husband Radcliffe, in another exciting escapadeWhen Lady Baskerville's husband Sir Henry dies after discovering what may have been an undisturbed royal tomb in Luxor, she appeals to eminent archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson and his wife Amelia to take over the excavation. Amid rumours of a curse haunting all those involved with the dig, the intrepid couple proceeds to Egypt, where they begin to suspect that Sir Henry did not die a natural death, and they are confident that the accidents that plague the dig are caused by a sinister human element, not a pharoah's curse.
The irascible husband of Victorian Egyptologist Amelia Peabody is living up to his reputation as 'The Father of Curses'. Denied permission to dig at the pyramids of Dahshoor, Emerson is awarded instead the 'pyramids' of Mazghunah - countless mounds of rubble in the middle of nowhere. Nothing in this barren spot seems of any interest but then a murder in Cairo changes all of that. The dead man was an antiques dealer, killed in his shop, so when a sinister-looking Egyptian spotted at the crime scene turns up in Mazghunah, Amelia can't resist following his trail. At the same time she has to keep an eagle eye on her wayward son Rameses and his elegant and calculating cat and look into the mysterious disappearance of a mummy case...
The 1985-96 season promises to be an exceptional one for Egyptologist Amelia Peabody, her dashing husband Emerson and their precocious eight-year-old son Rameses. The much-coveted burial chamber in Dahshoor is theirs for the digging. Yet there is a great evil in the wind that caresses the hot sands sweeping through the bustling streets and marketplaces of Cairo. An expedition cursed by misfortune and the daring moonlit abduction of Rameses alerts Amelia to the presence of her arch-enemy, the Master Criminal. And his is now a personal quest for the most valuable and elusive prize of all: vengeance on the meddling lady archaeologist with the parasol who has sworn to deliver him to justice...Amelia Peabody herself!" [Source]

Honestly I do not know whether I will like it or not.  Anyway the ingredients sound promising and one should not forget books which have been published more than 30 years ago.


Gift idea
I must say that I'm really happy that my wife and I own an eBook reader because it opens a completely new world of books. Day by day I discover new books and authors for me and my wife. And it is amazing to see how many books you get for free.
If your beloved one own a reader I recommend to spend time to discover new books and authors. And maybe you find something for your own.
I like that more and more authors offer a part of their book or a short story for free. That gives you the opportunity to find out if you like it or not. I use this opportunity and when I like what I read I buy the book / the series.

If you hurry up, you can get a steampunk book for free. I don't know whether the book is worth reading or not. But you can't do anything wrong when you get the book for free. And that is what I found over at Amazon.
Mechanicals: A Steampunk Novel of the Crimean War (e-book, 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; amazon.de, amazon.com, amazon.co.uk] by Jordan Stratford.
"A monster-hunting priest and his 16 year old protégé race across Europe in advance of a cavalry of steam-powered robots, while a young American reporter chronicles the first airship crossing of the Pacific – in reality a gun-running operation to arm the Russians." [Source]

I like Steampunk and I like that the author combined it with the Crimean War. To be honest when I discovered the book, I wanted to red it immediately! While writing this post I commuted between my laptop and the other PC where we download manage our digital copies. Now the book is on our reader and I'm sure I will find some time to have a first look ...


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Remorse
I think that is the right word when it comes to Courtney Schafer and her books. I read and liked The Whitefire Crossing (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] a lot. Recently I received a copy of the second book in her The Shattered Sigil series, The Tainted City (pb, October, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833]. But I still need to read the book.
It took me a couple of minutes to remember what I posted about a 2013 project  in August 2012.

"Of course I want to read and review The Tainted City. In 2011 I read and reviewed The English and German edition of Prince of ThornsDer Prinz der Dunkelheit by Mark Lawrence. Now Courtney Schafer asked me if I would like to do the same for The Whitefire Crossing. The German edition will be published approximately in 2013. I did not hesitate to say yes. So I have my first project in 2013."


Would you like to read an interview with author Courtney Schafer and what would you think about the opportunity to win a signed set of the mentioned books?
Then visit the Fantasy Cafe, read the interview and take part in the worldwide opened giveaway which runs until Thursday, 15th of November 2012! Good Luck and enjoy the interview!



There are many ways to celebrate anniversaries. Voyages Extraordinaire is one of the blogs I follow. Now they celebrate their fith anniversary. I could not withstand to quote the first paragraph of their anniversary post:
"At last there was nothing to do but go; and go we did, into that wondrous land of far-off valleys where the great rivers of a Continent come leaping down in little brooks and arching waterfalls from the ice-tongues; where rise, beyond the old horizon, the castellated crags and snowy spires we had read and dreamed of... We were not pioneers ourselves, but we journeyed over old trails that were new to us, and with hearts open. Who shall distinguish?"

I can tell you it is the beginning of an extraordinary and impressing post. Go, visit and read

Fifth Anniversary of Voyages Extraordinaires

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.



I'm pretty sure that you will see the following video at many, many place. It is far to good to be ignored. Even you are a fan of Lord of The Rings or bored by the flight safety instructions, it is worth to see it again and again. Without any further ado settle back and watch...



That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The gray, cold and wet November delivers good opportunities to surpise and enjoy the ones you love with a flower ....


"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose.
Heda Bejar

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The video is really clever. Someone had fun making it.
My wife and I both have iPads and download books all the time. I've found I read more often now.
Guess I need to start thinking about Christmas shopping...

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, Loved the safety video. What a hoot!!
Christmas. Thanks for the reminder. Hand made gifts are great if you have time and talent.

Thanks for ideas on even more books to read.
I read my first steam punk the other day. Would definitely try another. :)

Glad your love of reading has been restored. :)

Zoltán Gecse said...

Thank you for the Christmas reminder. The seven weeks are almost nothing... Unfortunately my talent for handmade things is very poor, so I'll buy something for my family.

Santa Claus' Day (6th December) is almost here, when we buy presents and candies for the kids (in the name of the Santa).

Alas I missed the oportunity of the free steampunk book. But it's not a big deal, because of my lack of time of reading. Meanwhile I started to think about the restart of reading Steven Erikson's Malazans books. I didn't remember anything from the first four book of the previous series. I have a feeling this new series will be a though stuff eighter...

The Airline advertisment video was great! Thank you for sharing!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
it is really tempting to download books. Fortunately you and your wife belong to the group of people who also read downloaded books.

To be honest when I wrote the Christmas reminder I have been surpised by myself that Christmas is not that far away.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
even you are not that talented, a hand made gift is a gift coming from the heart and that counts more than spending a fortune for the latest gadget.

Would you be so kind to tell me which steampunk book you read?

I think I did the right thing to stop reading for a period of time. It seems I habe been oversaturated.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan,
hand made things are not only a question of talent it is also aquestion of time and occasion.

You are not the only one who thinks about to restart reading of the Malazan books.

What do you think about to do something together regarding the Malazan books?
Is it possible for us to read all ten books within a year? Ten books in twelve months ... it is a challenge.
Let us try to read the books in 2013 and share thoughts an posts on our blogs. I think this could be an interesting project.
Let me know what you think about it.

Zoltán Gecse said...

ediFanoB: You say that because you haven't seen my handmade things. :)

I think you'll able to finish all of the ten books of the Malazan books. I have doubt about myself, but I think I'll start it.



Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, I read a steampunk romance called 'Inventing Love' by Killarney Sheffield (a fellow author at Museitup Publishing).

Shellie Nunn said...

Hi Edi -
There are two five star reviews in my friends list on goodreads for the Erickson book (from readers I trust with fantasy.) Hopefully yours will be added to the list.

Shellie

ediFanoB said...

Hi Shellie,
thanks for stopping by and the information about the reviews. The question will be when I will find time to read it :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...