Saturday, October 27, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1244

Hello and welcome to issue #1244 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Partially good news. A colleague of mine could fix my laptop. I posted a review. But I failed reading. I must say the gray sky is not really motivating and I'm too tired for reading. Ihope that will change soon.
And now


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Bought two eBooks
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Rosalie Skinner and her Halloween sugar free gift
  2. Mihai and K J Parker
  3. Bridges and sculpture
  4. Origami
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Iron Man 3

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Wrinkles

The Lighthouse

This is the second week in a row that I did not read a single page! It is frustrating.!!


I finished

- Nothing


I'm

- 138 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence
no progress

- 75 pages in Bending the Boyne (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; ISBN-13: 978-0983155416] by J S Dunn.
no progress


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


This weekend a friend is visiting us. Yesterday evening we talked about books im common. Then I mentioned Sherlock Holmes and received following question: "Do you know Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen?"  I never heard the name before. To keep the story short. It is a fictional character in detective stories created by the American author Jacques Heath Futrelle (April 9, 1875 – April 15, 1912). 

"Jacques Heath Futrelle (1875-1912) was an American journalist and mystery writer. He is best known for writing short detective stories featuring the "Thinking Machine", Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen. He worked for the Atlanta Journal, where he began their sports section; the New York Herald; the Boston Post; and the Boston American. In 1905, his Thinking Machine character first appeared in a serialized version of The Problem of Cell 13. In 1895, he married fellow writer Lily May Peel, with whom he had two children. While returning from Europe aboard the RMS Titanic, Futrelle, a first-cabin passenger, refused to board a lifeboat insisting his wife board instead. He perished in the Atlantic." [Source

You can read some of the stories online on the offical Jacques Futrelle site.
As you may know I do not like to read books on my laptop. So I checked Amazon.de and found two collections for 0.89 EUR (around 1.16 USD) which I bought without hesitation.
Unfortunately I found no other covers as the ones shown over at Amazon.


The Thinking Machine. Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen (Vol. 1) [Amazon Kindle B007UDI9FI] by Jacques Futrelle 

Product description from Amazon
"In conmemoration of the 100th anniversary of Jacques Futrelle's death in the Titanic sinking, Nínive Editorial offers the best cases of Professor Augustus Van Dusen in two volumes. This is the first, with his Novel "The Chase of the Golden Plate" and 20 short stories."

The Thinking Machine. Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen (Vol. 2) [Amazon Kindle B008AZTX1Y] by Jacques Futrelle 

Product description from Amazon
"Nínive Editorial presents the second volume of the best cases of Professor Augustus Van Dusen. A collection of 23 short stories to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Jacques Futrelle's death in the Titanic sinking."


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

What do you know about Halloween in Australia? I know more since I read  Halloween.. Origins... over at author Rosalie Skinner's blog.

Rosalie is a good friend of the blog and therefore it is a pleasure for me to share with you following information:
 As a treat, no tricks involved, I am offering Book One in the Chronicles of Caleath, FREE on Amazon for five days leading up to Oct 31st.
If you have not yet discovered this epic fantasy science fiction series... take this opportunity to join Caleath and his adventures FREE.
Happy Halloween.
Offer opens on Oct 27th USA time.. so allow for global time zones. Thanks.

If you want/need more information about the book then I recommend to read my review of Exiled: Autumn's Peril


Once a while I write about blogs which I follow. Yesterday I found a very interesting post over at Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews. Mihai let the hearts of K. J. Parker beat faster. I highly recommend to read and enjoy



Bridges - you find them all over the world. A lot of them are decorated with sculptures. Of course this is a hat topic for the people over at Dark Roasted Blend. And that is what they gathered for interested readers:

Monstrous, Angelic, Unusual Bridge Sculptures


Do you like the wonderful world of Origami? Then the post over at WebUrbanist is a must read for you:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I like to see that Iron Man will be back in May 2013. The trailer promise a more darker story. I look forward.


That's all for today. See you next time....

Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The number of wrinkles does not reflect the wisdom of a man ...


"Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Abigail Van Buren, US advice columnist (1918 - )

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll have to check out Futrelle's books.
The Iron Man trailer looks a little more bleak than the others, but still excited about it.

Yadin Bromberg said...

Nice post Edi! I saw the Iron Man 3 trailer when it came out with my friends and we all came to the conclusion that it was very uninformative and was hard to follow compared to the other trailers. Nonetheless it still looks amazing and I can't wait for it to come out :D

Also, I just re-opened my blog and I would really appreciate you checking it out.
Here's a link to my newest post:

http://yadinbromberg.blogspot.com/2012/10/im-back-nanowriwr-is-here.html

Thanks!
-Yadin

Zoltán Gecse said...

Maybe I'll read one or two from these Futrelle's novells.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I must say I would like to get more information about the bad guy.

I hope the Futrelle books are as good as our friend told us.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Yadin,
thank you for stopping by.
For me this trailer is a first impression. I sure there will more information coming up next year.

In the meantime I visited your blog and left a comment :-)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan do you own copies of Futrelle books?

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
The Futrelle novels sound interesting. That he died on the Titanic is also pretty amazing. Wonder if his wife wrote about the experience. Would be interesting to have her author's voice tell the story.
Halloween, right around the corner. All prepared for the kids arriving in their costumes. Feels so American. Only with Aussie accents.
Still not sure I agree with the hype, but what do you do? Can't disappoint the neighbour's kids.

Zoltán Gecse said...

ediFanoB: I found some novels at your linked site, and some free ebooks at Amazon and Bookdepository.

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Zoltan.
Then I need to have a look at Bookdepository too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...