Saturday, October 20, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1242

Hello and welcome to issue #1242 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I'm still in the state of clarifying my priorities and my old laptop ist not really helpful. I hope to sort out things by end of October. Until then you get shorter issues of the Weekend Wave. It took me some hours to put together this post.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
  2. When you have to work with an old laptop

Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Nothing bought
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A video for you but not for me

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. LEGO

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Happy or not

The Lighthouse

It happened! Last week I did not read a single page!

Despite the fact the I read only 246 pages,I finished one book.

I finished

- Nothing



I'm

- 138 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence
no progress

- 75 pages in Bending the Boyne (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; ISBN-13: 978-0983155416] by J S Dunn.
no progress


I'm happy that I can use my old laptop while my current one waits for repair. But I have to copy with a bundle of disadvantages. all the things I normally do like reading posts, writing comments, searching information, blogging and so on need much more time. Despite that an old laptop also means former versions of software. I receive regularly messages that things do not why with my software version. every time when it comes to blogger.com and gmail, I receive following message : "You are using an old version of Firefox that Gmail no longer supports. Some features may not work correctly." And this is true. I have problems with formatting posts and mails. I visited my blog from an other PC and noticed discrepancies. Anyway as I said before, I'm happy that I still have a laptop. But you may know understand this is one of the reasons why my posts are getting shorter and I struggle to write reviews.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Incredible! again a week passed andI bought NO book. And I still have to check the catalogs from the book fair.So no content today.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I hate it when new book trailers are available and I can't watch them because I live in Germany. The Night of the Swarm & The Chthrand Voyage Quartet -- Book Trailer by Robert V S Redick, is a good example for that.
So please have a look at the trailer and share your impressions with me. Unfortunately I could not get the permission to post the trailer. So you have to follow THIS LINK in order to watch the trailer

 

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Do you like LEGO and superheroes? In this case you should have a look at following video:


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I'm married and I'm a happy man ....

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates, Greek philosopher in Athens (469 BC - 399 BC)

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry about the clunky old laptop slowing you down.
Thanks for celebrating two years with me. I look back and it's not the awesome review you gave for CassaStar that really matters. Two years ago, I made a good friend. And that's one of the most precious things on earth. Thank you.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, Working on an old computer can be frustrating. I admire your efforts to keep up the blog.
Loved the Lego trailer. hehe.

Congratulations to Alex.
I echo his words. It's great have met you, and friends are the most precious things on earth.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Working on an old laptop or an old PC could be very annoying. Not just because the slowness, but the formating a blogpost also. I have to upgrade to a newer OS too... but I lazy to change. I takes a day to install everything to new OS and setup everything I need, and the time is precious.

I have the first LEGO Batman game, and it was a great fun for a while. I think my children will love it if they'll be a little older. Maybe this movie won't for them, but I give a small chance to let them watch. I'm a bad daddy... ;)

And what about your reading progress?

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I try my best to cope with the situation.

I fully agree with you on the rest of your comment.
I made a good friend too. Thank you for that rare gift.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
of course it is annoying but to have this olde laptop is in the end a lot better than to have nothing.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to meet you and it is a pleasure to talk to you not only about books.
It is good to have islands in the stormy sea of life.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan,

I understand you very well. OS upgrade is not funny. In case of my old laptop it does not make sense to upgrade OS because the laptop doe not fit to the requirements of the new OS version.

I still hope that a colleague of mine find a way to repair my other laptop.

I played a LEGO Indiana Jones game on play station and I liked it.
I think the LEGO Batamn game is OK for children - no blood, no real violence. I would not show the movies to children.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I think the LEGO Batman movie, not for the ones with actors.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...