Sunday, October 14, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1241

Hello and welcome to issue #1241 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What happens to people who want too much at the same time?
They achieve nothing! That is what happened to me in the past weeks. Most of the evenings ended up in frustration. There is no way out. I have to clarify for myself my priorities. This is a hard business for people who are interested in a lot of things.
But I know it has to be done by the end of this weekend. If I don't do it my hobbies will going down the drain and my wife will get angry because she does not want to have a frustrated and disappointed partner who is lamenting the whole evening.
That said have a look at what I put together for you.
To answer your questions in advance. Yesterday evening I have been to tired to finish the post. My wife and I spent seven hours at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2012.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Nothing bought
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Frankfurt Book Fair 2012

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. How to make a CGI movie

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Laugh and Life

The Lighthouse

Despite the fact the I read only 246 pages,I finished one book.

I finished

- An Atlantean Triumvirate (e-book, ) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B004CYF8G6] by Craig McNeill
I downloaded a digital copy for free.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is the first book in the Atlantean triumvirate series.
It is a wild mix of alternate history, atlantis, dieselpunk and fantasy. There are some twists and turns and a lot of actions. Nazis play an important role.
There are characters which appear and disappear within one chapter.
All in all an enjoyable escapism story. Don't expect philosophical thoughts."




I'm

- 138 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence
no progress

- 75 pages in Bending the Boyne (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; ISBN-13: 978-0983155416] by J S Dunn.
a small progress

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Incredible! Last week I bought NO book. And so far I did not find the time, to check all the catalogs which I gathered on the book fair yesterday. So no content today.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Yesterday my wife and I visited the Frankfurt Book Fair 2012. We spent seven hours over there and have been exhausted when we returned home.
Based on our 2011 experience we decided to go on Saturday instead of Sunday. We prepared an agenda which halls to visit in advance.
Normally we do not visit the halls with the German publishers because we do not read many books in German. But this year we wanted to have a look at books related to our interest in beading, sewing and polymer clay. Therefore we visited halls 3 and 4 first. You need to do that early of opening of the fair because it takes not long until these halls get overcrowded. Unfortunately we did not find many books which aroused our interest. I must admit we did not discover both halls in total.
So we went to the presentation of the guest of honour: New Zealand. We expected to get information about country, culture and literature. But the presentation fell short of our expectations.
After that we spent some time outside in the sun and strolled along the booths which offered food and other stuff.
Finally we entered hall 8, our last hope. It is the hall for publishers from USA, UK and others. We spent nearly four hours in that building which is a large one.
We found kind publishers who showed us their books and have had a nice chat with them. And we visited KOBO where we could play around with their new readers. That was really helpful because we started to think about to buy a second reader. with the increasing number of ebooks, it happens that my wife and I want to read ebooks at the same time which does not work with one reader. So at least the visit of hall 8 could have been a satisfying one.
But we made the mistake to visit the large booth of Random House. Thee have been a lot of shelves and between the shelves around thirty tables with chairs. Six of the tables have been occupied by people who where negotiating. My wife and I found some interesting books and wanted to have a look at them. So we took them from the shelf and took place at an empty table. Within less than two minutes a young lady appeared and asked us if we have a meeting with the publisher and our answer was no. We explained that we only wanted to have a look at some books because that is the reason why we visit a book fair. The young lady disappeared. One minute later a second young lady appeared and told us in a not very polite way that we have to leave the table immediately because all tables are reserved for meetings. Dumbfounded we left the booth. I checked the booth entry but I could neitherr find a sign saying "ALL TABLES RESERVED FOR MEEtINGS" nor "POTENTIAL READERS UNWANTED". To be honest I never meet such an unfriendly publisher in all the years I visited the book fair.
Let me add that the whole fair last six days. The first four days are exclusively for professional visitors and the last two days are for private visitors. So I do not understand why publisher who do not want private visitors leave the fair after four days. Who needs private visitors who spread word and who are potential book buyers.  
This year we paid 32 EURO (= 41 USD)for the tickets. Next year we will do something different ...





 

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


CGI movies are fascinating. Do you know how to make a CGI movie? I must admit I did not know much about it. But thanks to people who like to share their knowledge via youtube, it is no problem to get proper information. And from my point of view the following video is well done. Have a look!

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Household tasks do not belong to my preferred pastime. I do not need any more reason to love the following quote .........

"Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
Cullen Hightower

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bummer the book fair didn't live up to expectations. That was really odd about those tables. They needed a sign.
And not angering your wife is the BEST reason. Trust me.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I'm sorry for the delay in my answer.
Be sure I will not anger my wife.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Goodness Edi, how disappointing to find such rudeness at a Book fair.
Unfathomable why the publisher behaved so badly. Putting READERS off is unfathomable. They are what keep the company afloat.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rosalie,

it was disappointing. Of course I know that in the end it is all business. But as you said at the end of the chain is the user and if the user do not buy books the system fails.

But I can tell you that the small publisher we visited have been really polite and helpful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...