Thursday, October 25, 2012

Edi's Spotlight: Kingdom by Anderson O'Donnell

Dear Readers,

today my blog is part of the
(Click the picture for tour dates)
and within the tour I present to you my review of

Kingdom (2012)
by Anderson O'Donnell


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book for review from First Rule Publicity from the author as part of a virtual book tour. I was not compensated nor was I required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Synopsis:
"In a secret laboratory hidden under the desert, a covert bioengineering project--codename "Exodus"--has discovered the gene responsible for the human soul.
Somewhere in the neon sprawl outside the nation's collapsing economic core, a group of renegade monks are on the verge of uncovering a secret that has eluded mankind for centuries.
In a glittering tower high above the urban decay, an ascendant U.S. Senator is found dead--an apparent, yet inexplicable, suicide.
And in the streets below, a young man races through an ultra modern metropolis on the verge of a violent revolution....closing in on the terrible truth behind Exodus--and one man's dark vision for the future of mankind.
Welcome to Tiber City"

From the Back Cover
"Kingdom is a thrill-a-minute, bio-punk myth that manages to wrestle with the most pressing issues of the new millennium. O'Donnell has crafted a kickass novel of tomorrow night, when the big party gets raided by the monsters we've been building for the last half-century. Hip and hellish, wild and weird, Tiber City is the dystopian megalopolis into which we will all soon move--whether we know it or not"

My Expectations
To behonest after reading the synopsis and the text from the back cover I expected a lot of the first part of the Tiber City trilogy.

The Delivery
The 267 pages of the story are divided into 28 consecutively numbered chapters which are framed by a kind of prologue and an epilogue.

Let me start with the things I liked. The idea of the story is a compeling one. Genetics are a hot topic. The description of Tiber City is felicitous.


But I felt separated from the main characters.There was no emotional connection. And when Dylan, who is one of the main characters, got lost in his thoughts I felt bored. I'm also have not been interested in drug experience of people.

Beside that there is violence with a lot of gore. But that left me cold because it was like a surgery report.
Most of the books I read have a kind of soul.I could not find the soul of Kingdom.

Another disappointment has been the lack of information about two things I have been most interested in: The Order of Neshamah and Project Exodus. I felt like reading with blinkers on.


Finally I must say the book did not convince me to read the rest of the trilogy. For me there is an obvious mismatch between the synopsis and the delivery.

It seems either I'm the wrong reader of the right book or the right reader of the wrong book.

Anyway I recommend to read more reviews (for example on GOODREADS) before you decide to go for Kingdom or to skip it.




About the author
Anderson O’Donnell presents a biopunk, dystopian noir-esque thriller in this amazing read, KINGDOM. Most people are familiar with the term “cyberpunk,” but “biopunk” is harder to nail down. In many ways, biopunk is similar to the cyberpunk genre, and shares many of the same themes and archetypes: the dystopian future; the overreliance on technology; mega-corporations; a constant and overwhelming flow of data; the anti-hero—these elements are integral parts of both genres.


Both genres are fueled, to some extent, by the sense of rebellion and desire for individual freedom expressed by the original punk rock revolution. But the main difference—the most important difference—is that while cyberpunk focuses on invasive technological modification of the human body, biopunk explores the dehumanizing consequences of biological modification, of re-arranging our DNA in the pursuit of perfection.
Anderson lives in Connecticut with his wife and 2 sons. Anderson himself deems Kingdom as “a thrill-a-minute, bio-punk myth that manages to wrestle with the most pressing issues of the new millennium. O’Donnell has crafted a kickass novel of tomorrow night, when the big party gets raided by the monsters we’ve been building for the last half-century.”

His debut novel, Kingdom, a dystopian, biopunk thriller, is now available in paperback and ebook format. Kingdom is the first part of the Tiber City Trilogy. Look for part two, Exile, in the summer of 2013.

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Shame the first one didn't live up to expectations. Failure to connect with the characters would keep me from reading more.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Thank you for the honest review. It's so bad, because the theme and the core idea was quite promising.

sgzimmer said...

Thanks for hosting the tour stop! :) Sorry the book didn't connect with you more strongly.

Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

Thanks for taking part in the tour. Sorry you didn't love it but as you suggested it's good to read more reviews what one doesn't love another will

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, the concept sounds really interesting. Sad you didn't find it more compelling. Thanks for an honest review.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I think that can happen any time. I always to try to be honest and I will never praise a book which I don't like.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan,
I always try to be honest and I try to be fair. Therefore I wrote that everyone who reads my review should read other reviews too.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Stephen,

nobody can love every book. And you know that I always tro to be honest.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Jessica,
I thought it should go without saying to recommend to read more than one review.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

I think it is most important to be honest.
When I promise to review I book I read the whole bookand in that case it does not matter whether I like the book or not.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...