Saturday, September 29, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1239

Hello and welcome to issue #1239 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
A typical week is coming to an end. I read less than expected. I reviewed less than expected. I spent less time online than expected. I slept more than expected. Today I finally resumed sport. I spent 90 minutes in the gym which has been satisfying. At least one thing I enjoyed.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Digital
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Vintage
  2. Birth of a cover part three
  3. Shrinkage

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. RUIN

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms From Anonymus

The Lighthouse

I finished one book and read in sum disappointing 365 pages.

I finished

- Kingdom (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Anderson O'Donnell
I did not read the book I expected. Full revie on October 25th.


I'm

- 138 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Last week I received one review copy and did not buy any book.

The book I received does not really belong to my reading comfort zone. I got a digital copy of Bending the Boyne (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B0057YJAYQ; ISBN-13: 978-0983155416] by J S Dunn.
"2200 BCE: Marauders invade ancient Eire seeking copper and gold. The astronomer Boann and the enigmatic Cian must use all their wits and courage to save their people, the peaceful starwatchers, from the invaders' long bronze knives and scavenging ways. Tensions between new and old cultures and between Boann, Elcmar, and her son Aengus, ultimately explode. What emerges from the rubble of battle is a fresh take on Ireland's oldest legends.

BENDING THE BOYNE draws on 21st century archaeology to show the lasting impact when early metal mining and trade take hold along north Atlantic coasts. Carved megaliths and stunning gold artifacts, from the Pyrenees up to the Boyne, come to life in this researched historical fiction." [Source]
I like history. But I do not know much about the period of time covered in the book. So I thought it was a good opportunity to get a copy in order to read and review it.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you like vintage stuff? I do - especially mechanical things like calculators. The inspirational people over at Dark Roasted Blend offer an fascinating post. Go there and get lost ....




In the last two weeks I posted about The Birth of a Cover - The Conception . Author Mark Lawrence has been so kind to share this event on his blog. And now the third part is available. In case you are interested in, have a look at The Birth of a Cover (III).

Shrinkage and small objects appear again and again in fantasy and science fiction. But you do not need a book or a movie for that. There are peole who create mesmerising objects. Thanks to the people of at the WebUrbanist I can give two links to two awesome posts. Follow the links and get lost in thoughts.





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


There are many exciting videos, shorts and trailers over at youtube. Today I show you "an animated short set in a post-apocalyptic universe": RUIN by Wes Ball. I must say these eight minutes and 30 second are impressive. I would like to see a whole movie. RUIN is an Oddball Animation project.




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Household tasks do not belong to my preferred pastime. I do not need any more reason to love the following quote .........

"A magician pulls rabbits out of hats. An experimental psychologist pulls habits out of rats.
Anonymus

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some interesting links today, Edi. And a change of pace in reading keeps us fresh and expands our horizons.
Will be back tomorrow as normal. Vacation has been great though.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Wow! The short animation was great!
It had a little Star Wars-feeling with the chasing (pod-race) and the music of it as well.

A full movie would be interesting!

Rosalie Skinner said...

If life was all we expected, it wouldn't pose quite the challenge we meet each week Edi.
You still seem to have achieved heaps.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
please apologise the delay in my answer. I still like to read books but I also would like to do something different.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your vacation.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan,
please apologise the delay in my answer. I have been busy with an other project.

It is possible that there will be a full movie. I think it is a question of money.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
please apologise the delay in my answer.
Thank you for your kind and motivational words.
I need to be more effective :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...