Saturday, September 22, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1238

 Hello and welcome to issue #1238 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
That has been a good week. I finally found a appropriate way to say thank you to author Rosalie Skinner for her patience. On Wednesday I enjoyed the new Hobbit trailer and on Friday I finished reading of The Hobbit. So all in all I feel well. I could never imagine that I would write one day "I miss the gym". I really miss it. No sports since August 27th and I have to wait two more weeks until I'm permitted to resume sports. I need the gym because I want to continue to lose weight.
And that is what I want to share with you today.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Hardcover
  2. Paperback
  3. Digital including a hint regarding Sullivan's War
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The History Girls
  2. Birth of a cover part two
  3. Unintentional faces in objects

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The H ....
  2. CGI effects
  3. Cinematic game trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Household

The Lighthouse

An excellent week regarding reading and reviewing. I finished four books and read in sum 865 pages.

I finished

- The Last City (e-book, July 2012) by Nina D' Aleo.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"That was a great debut novel. A mix of genres and a bunch of interestinf characters.
For my taste there have been too many fights.
Full review in progress .. should be available end of September 2012."


- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
After reading the book I can't wait to see the movies.


- EXMORTUS Book One - Towers of Dawn (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Todd Maternowski
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is the first book in the Exmortus series.
It is fantasy, dark fantasy. There is sex,violence and religion.
I promised to write a full review of the first and second book which will be available in October.
So far I do not have decided yet how many stars I will give. I'm indecisive and need to think about it. So far it is something between 3 and 5 stars."


- Wake of the Bloody Angel (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Alex Bledsoe
The fourth Eddie LaCrosse adventure is as amazing as the previous ones.


I'm

- 39 pages in Kingdom (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Anderson O'Donnell
Did you ever read a Biopunk book? This is my first one. So far it is different but interesting. Not sure where it will end.

- 34 pages in King of Thorns (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] by Mark Lawrence
No progress compared to last week. I decided to finish some other books first and then concentrate on this one because I expect a lot ....

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Last week I received review copies and I bought books. I dediced to group them by format.

As you may know I do not buy hardcover. But the last week the kind people of Tor/Forge.com sent me two books. Both belong to series.

The first book is the fourth and last book in the Unincorporated series. With The Unincorporated Future (hc, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765328816] by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin. I own now two of the four books. It seems I need to buy the first two books in near future.
"Sandra O’Toole is the president of the Outer Alliance, which stretches from the asteroid belt to the Oort Cloud beyond Pluto. Resurrected following the death of Justin Cord, the unincorporated man, O’Toole has become a powerful political figure and a Machiavellian leader determined to win the Civil War against the inner planets at almost any cost. And the war has been going badly, in part because of the great General Trang, a fit opponent for the brilliant J. D. Black. Choices have to be made to abandon some of the moral principles upon which the revolution was founded. It is a time of great heroism and great betrayal, madness, sacrifice, and shocking military conflict. Nothing is predictable, even the behavior of artificial intelligences. There may be only one way out, but it is not surrender." [Source]

In 2010 I reviewed The Last Page (hc, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0765325160] by Anthony Huso. It is part of a duology which will be finished with Black Bottle. And now I'm very happy that I received a copy of Black Bottle (hc, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765328816] by Anthony Huso. I'm no sur if I will find time to read it until the end of 2012. But I learned to say "never say never". Of course I have a reading list. But from my experience one should not underestimate the importance of the own mood for reading. 
"Dark and rich, epic in scope, with Black Bottle Anthony Huso has crafted a fantasy like no other, teeming with unthinkable horrors and stylish wonders.
Tabloids sold in the Duchy of Stonehold claim that the High King, Caliph Howl, has been raised from the dead. His consort, Sena Iilool, both blamed and celebrated for this act, finds that a macabre cult has sprung up around her.
As this news spreads, Stonehold—long considered unimportant—comes to the attention of the emperors in the southern countries. They have learned that the seed of Sena’s immense power lies in an occult book, and they are eager to claim it for their own.
Desperate to protect his people from the southern threat, Caliph is drawn into a summit of the world’s leaders despite the knowledge that it is a trap. As Sena’s bizarre actions threaten to unravel the summit, Caliph watches her slip through his fingers into madness.
But is it really madness? Sena is playing a dangerous game of strategy and deceit as she attempts to outwit a force that has spent millennia preparing for this day. Caliph is the only connection left to her former life, but it’s his blood that Sena needs to see her plans through to their explosive finish." [Source]


Months ago I ordered the paperback copy of The English Monster (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0857205377] by Lloyd Shepherd which has been delivered this week. I found the blurb really convincing. I like London. I like history.

"Two moments in England’s rise to empire, separated by centuries, yet connected by a crime that cannot be forgiven . . . London, 1811. Along the twisting streets of Wapping, bounded by the ancient Ratcliffe Highway and the modern wonder of the London Dock, many a sin is hidden by the noise and glory of Trade. But now two families have fallen victim to foul murder, and Charles Horton, a senior officer of the newly formed Thames River Police Office, must deliver revenge to a terrified populace.
Plymouth, 1564. Young Billy Ablass arrives in the busy seaport with the burning desire of all young men: the getting and keeping of money. Setting sail on a ship owned by Queen Elizabeth herself seems the likely means to a better life. But the kidnapping of hundreds of human souls in Africa is not the only cursed event to occur on England’s first official slaving voyage. On a sun-blasted Florida islet, Billy too is to be enslaved.
Based on the true story of the gruesome Ratcliffe Highway murders, The English Monster is a breathtaking voyage across centuries, from the Age of Discovery to the Age of Empire, illuminating what happens to Britain as she gains global power but risks losing her soul." [Soul]

Today I bought a digital copy of Sullivan's War - The Complete Adeventure (e-book, 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B008N3RJC8] by Michael K. Rose.

"On Earth, a powerful politician has been murdered. When he's assigned to the case, Agent Frank Allen soon discovers that the man responsible, Rick Sullivan, is not yet finished killing. But Allen will also discover that Rick Sullivan is not the man he appears to be, and the war he's fighting, a war to rid his home planet of its oppressive government, is not his only battle.
As Allen pursues Sullivan across the known galaxy, he begins to question his own beliefs and loyalties. Will Allen be able to stop Rick Sullivan before he kills again? Does he really want to? As their lives become increasingly intertwined, both men realize they must face truths about themselves that neither of them are prepared for. And some of those truths will have consequences that neither of them could have ever imagined.
This edition collects Sullivan's War: Books I, II & III, which are also available individually." [Source]

There are two reasons why I bought a copy for 99 Cents (0.89 EUR) . The Sullivan's War collection has been on my radar since several months and today I have been invited to following event on GOODREADS:
"Hello, all! I'm excited to announce that for the first time ever, SULLIVAN'S WAR: THE COMPLETE ADVENTURE is on sale! This eBook edition collects all three of the books that were originally released individually. The sale runs for one week, through Friday, September 28th. For more information and links, please see this post:"

EBook Editions of Sullivan's War: The Complete Adventure Available at:
 [Source]

Of course I do not know if I will like the book and if it will hit my expectations. But I took the risk to spend 99 Cents (0.89 EUR) in vain.Don't get me wrong I do not buy every book you can get for 99 Cents (0.89 EUR). So have a look and decide on your own if you will take the same risk as I did.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Once a while I post about blogs I follow. And today I talk about
"The History Girls are a group of best-selling, award-winning writers of historical fiction. Some of us write for young adults, some for fully fledged adults, some for younger readers.
[...]
Individual, entertaining, sometimes provocative: on this daily blog we'll share our thoughts on writing, research, reviews, and all aspects of our work. We love what we do and we want to talk about it." [Source]
I like the blog because you get a lot of information about history and also informative insight of writing and writing process.
In the past three days they offered three posts which sow you the variety of information you can get. Be warned!! Some of the posts are even longer than a short story!! That shows the enthusiasm of the writers. Have a look at following posts and build up your mind if this could be a blog for you worth to follow.

Unbelievable but true: there has been a time without washing machine

The flair of Paris in long gone time - Belle Époque

The pet subject of an author. This is really "hot".




Last week I posted about The Birth of a Cover - The Conception . Author Mark Lawrence has been so kind to share this event on his blog. And now the second part is available. In case you are interested in, have a look at The Birth of a Cover - Gestation, first Trimester.


Faces - what a wonderful subject. Isn't it amazing that we do not need more than :-) to recognise a face? That means it depends on us where we see faces or not. Faces are everywhere. The great people over at Dark Roasted Blend continue their post series about faces with




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.



I'm sure you saw the following trailer. But you may understand why I have to post it. After finishing the book my urge to watch the movie rose again.



I assume that most of the people know that in nowadays movies and TV series a lot of the scenery is not real. Did you see the amazing Game of Thrones series? So far I watched season one. I do not know when I will see the second season. Anyway the following video gives you an impression about visual effects in season two. soon by
ATTENTION! The following video contains a few spoiler.



Do you like cinematic game trailers? I must say they are even fascinating for people who do not play video games. I must say I have been impressed by the following one.
ATTENTION: The following video contains blood and violence.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Household tasks do not belong to my preferred pastime. I do not need any more reason to love the following quote .........

"Household tasks are easier and quicker when they are done by somebody else.
James Thorpe, US football player (1888 - 1953)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cannot wait for the first installment of the Hobbit!
And some video game trailers are so good it's a shame they aren't real movies.

Rosalie Skinner said...

I am waiting patiently for the HOBBIT movie. Love the trailer. Must re read the book.

I love watching someone else play computer games. I find the playing skills needed are sadly lacking and muddling through is too frustrating, but watching an expert is great fun. The graphics amaze me... doesn't matter if it's Skyrim type fantasy or shoot'em dead adventure. As long as they aren't too bloody.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I love the cinamatic game trailers! Some of them are better than the movie trailers.

I'd like to see lot of only-cgi fantasy movies with epic battles, fearsome monster, magic and sorcery.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
it seems that sometimes that the video game trailers are better than the games.

I look forward to meet Dwalin, Balin, Kili, Fili, Dori, Nori, Ori, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur and Thorin Oakenshield.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

my wife ad I are 50+ and we still play video games, especially role playing games and adventures where you do not need skillslike in shooters or jump and run.

ediFanoB said...

Zoltan,

I would like to see only-cgi fantasy movies too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...