Saturday, September 08, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1236

Hello and welcome to issue #1236 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Finally I'm back with a new issue. On Monday I returned home from hospital.
I spent the week home to recover. I must admit I sleeped a lot.I don't know why but I miss energy and enthusiasm. But I wanted to write this post.


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Four digital copies
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Airborne Aircraft Carriers
  2. A new airport for London

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Fire

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Good name

The Lighthouse

Last two weeks I found time to finish some books. That means most of the time I either slept or read. week I finished a digital magazine and read 324 pages which was sad.

I finished

- Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
An interesting read but definitely for everyone

- Full Dark House (pb 2004 and digital 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553815528 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003PJ6FYS] by Christopher Fowler.
Arthur Bryant and John May are my new favorite crime/mystery heroes.


- The Map of Time (pb, July 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1451683035] Felix J. Palma
I have been impressed.


- The Doomsday Vault (pb, November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0451464293] by Steven Harper
This is steampunk.


I'm

- 102 pages in Wake of the Bloody Angel (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Alex Bledsoe
On the road again with Eddie LaCrosse ....


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


When I returned from hospital last week I felt the desire for ..... buying books. Fortunately it has been the beginning of the month and Idid not spend my book budget for this months. Finally I bought digital copies of following books. All four books have one thing in common. They all belong to series.

The first book is the second novel in the Bryant and May Mystery series which I fell in love with the first book. There is no way out I will buy and read all ten books published so far. I will start reading The Water Room (digital 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003M5IKTS] by Christopher Fowler soon.

"When an elderly lady is found inside her own house with her lungs full of river water, London's Peculiar Crimes Unit is called in to search for a logical solution. But the property's next tenant is plagued by mysterious damp patches and the sound of rushing water, and Arthur Bryant decides to divert the investigation into strange new territory. Meanwhile, his partner John May finds himself in hot water when he sets out to save the reputation of an academic whose arcane knowledge of London's forgotten underground rivers looks set to destroy his career. The geriatric detectives soon discover that in a city full of the rich, the poor and the dispossessed, there's still something for which a desperate murderer is willing to kill again. Pooling their information to investigate hitherto undiscovered secrets of the city, Bryant & May make some sinister connections." [Source]

The second book is about time travel. Even I did not read Blackout (digital, 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0053YQBT2] by  Connie Willis so far. I know it is the first part of a story which continues in   All Clear  [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003F3FJIM].  I'm not sure how to manage but I want to read both books until end of 2012. Time travel and London in one book is compelling

"In Blackout, award-winning author Connie Willis returned to the time-traveling future of 2060—the setting for several of her most celebrated works—and sent three Oxford historians to World War II England: Michael Davies, intent on observing heroism during the Miracle of Dunkirk; Merope Ward, studying children evacuated from London; and Polly Churchill, posing as a shopgirl in the middle of the Blitz. But when the three become unexpectedly trapped in 1940, they struggle not only to find their way home but to survive as Hitler’s bombers attempt to pummel London into submission.
Now the situation has grown even more dire. Small discrepancies in the historical record seem to indicate that one or all of them have somehow affected the past, changing the outcome of the war. The belief that the past can be observed but never altered has always been a core belief of time-travel theory—but suddenly it seems that the theory is horribly, tragically wrong" [Source]

The last but one book shows clearly that I'm a book hunter and gatherer.I buy books in series where I did not read the first book. William Napier's Clash of Empires series is a good example for that. There was no way out. I must buy a copy of Clash of Empires: The Red Sea (digital, 2012] [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008E9RDUE] by William Napier. I hope the books in the series will be as good as I expect.
"The Mediterranean, 1571. For hundreds of years the Ottoman Empire has ruled the seas. But the seas are only a gateway to the lands they covet beyond.The armies of the Turk are picking off colonies and small islands, and if the Mediterranean falls, then finally perhaps the balance of power between crescent and cross will tip... It has been a momentous summer - the fall of Nicosia, Cyprus besieged and men flayed alive, their bodies displayed as trophies on opposing galleys. Now, as the sun rises on one October day, history will be written in blood. Five hours will shape history. Countries all over western Europe have sent ships and men. Caught up in it are Hodge and Ingoldsby - two young British soldiers who have survived the siege of Malta and are already living on borrowed time. Now, it seems the debt must be repaid..." [Source]

The last book for today is the fourth and final book in the excellent Legends of the Red Sun series. At least I read the first two books. And with The Broken Isles (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:  B0089YAJCI] by Mark Charan Newton I have book three and four on my reader.
"War spills into the Boreal Archipelago, as two rival cultures bring their eternal battle into this adjacent realm. Fresh from a military victory, Commander Brynd Lathraea plans to rebuild the city of Villiren, where he is confronted with a dilemma. There are friendly forces who have no other choice but to live alongside his own people, and their numbers will be required to fight in the looming conflict. The commander turns politician as he seeks to build bridges and embrace mysterious new technologies to further his ambitions. However, many in Villiren are sceptical of aliens coming to their city, tensions run high, and even the dream of a peaceful future brings with it inevitable clashes of beliefs. Meanwhile, Villjamur has been destroyed. A vast swathe of refugees from the legendary city are now on the run from an immense alien presence in the sky. Villages are being cleared and people are dying en masse. And Inquisitor Fulcrom finds himself at the helm of an operation to aid the refugee exodus to the coast, but it's a race against time before this threatened genocide is complete. Ancient civilisations line up on the field of battle. Exotic creatures and a possible god walk alongside citizens of the Empire. As the Legends of the Red Sun series draws to a close, there will be one final and immense conflict to decide the fate of multiple cultures forever." [Source]

I must say all the free digital books you can get are alluring. It is so easy to download a copy. But who will read them? In a good year I read 80 books which nearly covers the books I buy and the books I get for reviewing purpose. It would not be a problem for me to find every day one book for free. That would mean 365 books per year. Impossible to read them all. It looks good for statistics when an author can tell that thousands of people downloaded his book. But how many will read the book.
I downloaded a lot of books in the past month. It has been tempting. Now I decided to stop that because it does not make sense. Of course I like to get as many books as possible but why should I fill my reader with books I will never read.


How do you cope with all the books available for free? The bone and bane of digital books.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

As I could read on other blogs the world of books is as busy as a beehive. I'm sure you follow also other blogs which means you did not miss important information.

I'm still fascinated by dirigibles and planes. That is the reason why I like the following post over at Dark Roasted Blend:


London is my favorite town. The available space in the city is limited. But there is a need of more airport capacity. The people over at  WebUrbanist show  a possible solution. Have a look at


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I still wait for interesting movie trailers. Of course I love to watch The Hobbit trailer again and again. But that does not mean that I post this trailer every week.

Do you know what happened on 2nd of September 1666? I think two words will lead you in the right direction: FIRE and LONDON.

Following video give you an impression about what happened.

There is also an informative post by author Richard Denning over at English Historical Fiction Authors:

Richard Denning used the Great Fire of London as background for his novel The Last Seal (2011).

"September 1666: a struggle between two secret societies threatens to destroy London. Three hundred years previously the Praesidum defeated and incarcerated a demon beneath the city. Now the Liberati aim to release it and gain its power for themselves.
Meanwhile agents of the King are seeking four suspected foreign spies who are, in reality, disparate and unlikely heroes: GABRIEL, the sole remaining member of the Praesidum, crippled by his fear of failure; FREYA, a young thief orphaned by the Great Plague, driven by poverty and self-interest; TOBIAS, a cynical physician, obsessed by his desire for vengeance against the Liberati cavalier who killed his father, and finally and most vitally, BEN, a Westminster schoolboy, whose guilt over his parents’ death threatens to destroy him.
Thrown together by chance when Ben finds an ancient scroll revealing the location of arcane seals that bind the demon beneath London, the story launches into a battle between the Liberati and Praesidium, a battle which takes place within the Great Fire of London. These four must overcome their personal problems and work together if they are to foil the plans of the Liberati, protect the city and gain the means to defeat the demon." [Source]


Anyway you should not miss the Great Fire of London: Skyline Animation
Even it is only a black and white comparison it gives a good impression about what the fire destroyed.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I hope Edi did not lose his name by this post .....

"A good name, like good will, is got by many actions and lost by one.
Lord Jeffery

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Need to check out the floating airport.
Glad you got some reading in, but a hospital stay is not a fun way to do it!

Zoltán Gecse said...

Welcome back, Edi! It's great to see a new Weekenf Wave from you again!

I read one book by Christoper Fowler (Bryant and May On the Loose) and I liked it well enough. However the language it was a little bit hard for me, and I had to use the dictionary more often than usual.

I'd like to ask something else. Have you tried the Village boardgame?

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Hope you're feeling better. I have been of line for a few weeks and have a new blog. Wonderful post.

Yvonne.

Gina Gao said...

I hope that you are feeling better.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Rosalie Skinner said...

Good to have you back reading and reviewing Edi.
Free books are like an addiction you have to give up. There was a few days I thought I would start a collection of interesting titles.
After not finding enough time to read much during my recent holiday, I see now how pointless the exercise was.
Better off to scope your reviews and know I am reading a novel I am certain to enjoy. Would rather pay for the reading pleasure and help support another author.

Shellie Nunn said...

Edi!
OMG in the hospital for surgery...

Here's to you feeling healed and healthy soon!

Shellie & John

ediFanoB said...

Hi Shellie,

thank you and John for your wishes.
The surgery has been necessary due to sleep apnoea. I stayed seven days in hospital and now the second week at home.
It will take three more weeks until everythings is normal again. I slept a lot and feel better from day to day. Will return to work soon. The main problem is that I lose my voice when I speak more than fifteen minutes.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,
I'm sorry for the late reply.
The floating airport is an interesting concept.

You are lucky when you are in the condition to read books in hospital because it detracts from the "lovely" atmosphere.

ediFanoB said...

Gina Gao,

thank you. I feel better. Sorry for delayed reply.

ediFanoB said...

Zoltan,

I sent a mail with some VILLAGE impressions to you.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Yvone,

it took me a couple of minutes to find out who is behind RHYTHM AND RHYME.
Thanks for stopping by. Glad to see that you are back with a new blog.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

I'm glad to be back. I appreciate your opinion about free books.
Now I need to finish several reviews I started to write before hospital ...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...