Monday, August 20, 2012

Guest Review: The Sixth Sense by Lawrence W Gold

Dear Readers,
today I present you something new on Edi's Book Lighthouse. For the first time ever you get a guest review!!

I still remember the time when I entered the world of book blogs as a contributor of Only The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy. Enough about me.

Let me introduce to you Legolas, passionate beadworker - Legolas Perlenuniversum - and avid medical thriller reader.

A warm welcome Legolas. I hand over the blog to you for today.

Thank you Edi. Let me start with a few words from my side before we go into detail.

When Edi asked me if I would be interested in a medical thriller, I said: "Depends on the topic."
After reading the synopsis, I said: "YES."
I like to read medical thrillers, the bloodier and nastier the better. Since I suffer myself to a hypersensitivity of olfactory sence, it fascinated me to read, how the main character deals with it.

Enough about me, this is the book I reviewed for you:
The Sixth Sense 
by Lawrence W. Gold, M.D.
ISBN: 978-1478267607 
Publisher: CreateSpace 
Date of publish: July 31, 2012 
Pages: 422, S.R.P.: $16.99 
Lawrence W. Gold provided the digital copy for this review.
"Arnie Roth, a family practitioner, develops viral encephalitis. He awakens from the near-death experience with a new appreciation for life and an unexpected talent, his sensitivity to smell has increased a thousandfold."

My Take
Lawrence D. Gold himself is a doctor, and knows how to describe medical events such that even someone whose native language is not English, understands what is going on.

The author does not dwell on the story with lengthy-trivial descriptions.
Ever the doctor, he drives the story forward consistently.

At the beginning of the book I was pleasantly surprised, because I find, descriptions that tell me, who ate when and what yogurt, or worn at a special time, what sort of dress pattern is just plain annoying. In lengthy descriptions, I tend to read across.

Gold's writing style is expressed in very sober and clear, lacking long convoluted sentences. Even highly sensitive thoughts and feelings are unfortunately described very businesslike.

The author takes his time to introduce the various characters. So you will not be overwhelmed at the beginning of a flood of information.
At first it was a bit strange that the narrative changes between first-person and third-person.
There were also some confusing time jumps that were made without separation using breaks, so I sometimes did not know where on the time line I was.

The story was very interesting. The various characters will be aligned in two main strands. However, one can already anticipate some events pretty early.
There are no big surprises, and at the end of the book, everything is love, peace and harmony.

Lawrence D. Gold failed that I was suffering with the protagonist ;or feelings-whether positive or negative -. developed for the other characters. More description of feelings in the book would have done well.

That's my personal opinion though. Maybe I'm from the point of writing a review, more critical than otherwise have been.

Conclusion
This book is not for lovers of action or strong feelings and certainly not for readers who love sprawling descriptions.
The idea of ​​writing about a doctor whose smell and taste explodes, and what pitfalls and obstacles this can bring with it has pleased me. The implementation in words however, a little less austerity and a little more feeling would have been good for the book

Had I read this book even if I had known what to expect: Probably not.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...