Saturday, August 25, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1234

Hello and welcome to issue #1234 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Last Sunday it has been hot in Germany. Despite the heat I prepared the schedule for the week .... Now it is Saturday and my schedule for the week has gone with the wind. I'm disappointed with myself. There was no power left in the evening to do something creative like writing a review. Even reading has been arduous. But today I want to relax and enjoy. Later on my wife and I will visit a medieval fair in the wonderful town of Speyer. It is just a one hour drive from our home. And her are some impression of Speyer:
And yes, again I have a schedule for next week. On Tuesday and Wednesday I will be out of town and without internet access. But I hope .... no I don't tell you. No more promises. You will see if there is something on the blog or not.
Hello? Hello!! Hope you are still awake. I finished chatting ...

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost
The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Two hardcovers
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Water-based communities
  2. Unusual landscapes

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Village
  2. Infected

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Wonder

The Lighthouse

Last week I finished a digital magazine and read 324 pages which was sad.

I finished

- The Speculative Edge, Issue 2 (pb, September 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1478274384],
This is a new magazine and you can read my review at the end of August 2012



I'm

- 305 pages in Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
No progress

- 202 pages in Full Dark House (pb 2004 and digital 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553815528 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003PJ6FYS] by Christopher Fowler.
I love this book and especially the characters!!


- 156 pages in The Map of Time (pb, July 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1451683035] Felix J. Palma
What a book. Stories within the story.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


The kind people of Tor/Forge.com sent me two books last week. Both belong to series.

Let me start with  The Formula for Murder (hc, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765328694] by Carol McCleary. This is the third appearance of  Nellie Bly as the main character.
When I want to dive into the world of , I need a copy of the first book
The Formula for Murder (hc, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765328694] by Carol McCleary. Back to the blurb and cover of The Formula for Murder.

"History, mystery, murder, and mad science accompany plucky Victorian newspaper reporter Nellie Bly when she travels to the haunted moors of England to investigate the mysterious death of another journalist.

Refusing to believe the young writer committed suicide, Nellie’s search for the truth takes her from foggy Londontown to the ancient Roman ruins at Bath and the eerie landscape of Dartmoor. Stalked by a killer as she unravels the mystery behind a series of deaths, Nellie encounters a handsome young biology teacher named H. G. Wells, whose knowledge leads Nellie into the realm of science gone mad. Joined by Oscar Wilde, fleeing a sex scandal, and Arthur Conan Doyle, pursuing a legendary beast of the moors, Nellie struggles to stay alive as she hunts down a scientist who is trying to recreate in a test tube the work of God. Join Nellie Bly again in this third installment to Carol McCleary's hit mystery series." [Source]

Furthermore I received a copy of Queen's Hunt (hc, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-0765322180] by Beth Bernobich. This is the second book in The River of Souls series.
"Queen's Hunt is the second title in Beth Bernobich’s River of Souls novels, following her startling debut, Passion Play. Filled with dark magic and sensual images, this is fantasy writing at its best.
Ilse Zhalina has left to start a new life in a garrisoned fort, leagues from her estranged lover, Raul Kosenmark. The violent quarrel that ended Ilse and Raul's relationship was quite public. And also, quite fake. They hope to mislead Kosenmark's enemies so that he can continue to influence the politics of the kingdom in an attempt to stave off an ill-advised war, while keeping Ilse safe from royal assassins who would kill anyone Raul is close to. Ilse longs for Raul, but is set on her own quest to find one of the three fabled jewels of Lir. One of the jewels is held by King Dzavek, sworn enemy of Veraene, who has used the jewel's power to live for centuries. Ilse seeks one of the other stones to counterbalance Dzavek's efforts to destroy her country.
In her search, she encounters a shipwrecked prisoner from another land, a woman who has a secret of her own...and the second jewel in her keeping. The two women become allies in their quest for the third jewel, because finding and controlling these stones could mean salvation for both of their nations. And their failure the ruin of their peoples." [Source]
Beside it is the second book in a series, the blurb did not convince me.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

How many water-based communities do you know beside Venice? There are more than you may think. Have a look at the vey informative post of at the WebUrbanist:
Water Worlds: 15 Real Floating Towns and Ocean Cities


Last week I learned something new. Do you know microsonic landscapes? I never heard that before. But I'm fascinated siince I saw the result over at WebUrbanist. Read, look and enjoy
Microsonic Landscapes: What Music Looks Like in 3D


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

In case you expected information and trailer of a movie with title VILLAGE, I must disappoint you. After a long, long , long time, my wife and I bought a boardgame! You must know that in the past - at a time when PC was something very exotic - we liked to play boardgames. But with the discovery of a quite interesting game our desire for boardgames blossomed again.  The name of the game is Village. To my surprise the game is available at Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com!
Tomorrow we will play it for the first time. Have a look at following video which gives you a first impression of Village.


Again I must disappoint you in case you expected information and trailer of a movie with title INFECTED.
I'm addicted to books and my wife is addicted to books and beads. But that is not enough. The less time you have the more you want to do. And now we both have been infected by the steampunk virus. So far I read only steampunk novels. But know my wife and I want to be creative. Next month, when I will have a few days of, we want to do things like ... I wanted to show some pictures but I don't do that without authorization. Instead you have to follow this link in order to see an example of what I mean.

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I like following quote. What does this say about me? I believe in wonder. But that does not work because my mind is closed by belief in wonder? The more I think about it .... I have a mind opened by thoughts and questions and isn't the mind a wonder?


"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
Gerry Spence

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Queen's Hunt sucks. Don't bother.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Enjoy the medieval fair!
Water based communities? Clicking on that link first.
And let us know about the board game. We still play them at our house. Mostly trivia, but we're always looking for new ones.
Have a great weekend, Edi!

Zoltán Gecse said...

The linked steampunk snail is so cool! I showed to my wife and she loves it too. And she wants to create things like this.

I heard many good things about the Village boardgame. Unfortunatelly it's a lit bit overpriced yet. However it wins the German 'Kennerspiel des Jahres' award this year, and maybe it means further mass production, which means lower prices.
If you're looking for good boardgame reviews, then a can strongly recommend you the youtube channel of 'The Dice Tower'. Here you can find a link for the review of Village: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME035XJqQWM

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
The medieval fair sounds great.
Board games... we indulge when the family gathers and time allows. Will have to look at the Village.
Back from holidays and not keen to get back to work. Time off was exhausting. hehe. Need a few days to recover!
Hope you have a good weekend.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
we enjoyed the medieval fair a lot. We spent more than seven hours over there.
Great weather, good music, many intersting things to look at ... and to buy :)

Today my wife and I played the Village boardgame for the first time.
I will let you know more about it soon.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltan,

you can do a lot of things with Fimo.
And there are also instructions for free available.
You also find videos on youtube.

We have been lucky to get the Village for 29,95 EUR (official price 35 EUR) which is cheap for a new boardgame in Germany. Normally you pay upt to 50 EUR for a new game.

Thank you for the recommendation. Need to subscribe the channel.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

who likes to return to work after holiday?
Anyway I hope you have had an awesome holiday.

The medieval fair has been excellent. Good music and so many things to see and to buy :)

My wife and I played the Village the first time today and we like it a lot.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Erm... I think I have mistaken it for the other Spiel des Jahres 2012 award winner, the Kingdom Builder, which was about 50 EUR. As I see that price also reduced to ~40 EUR. Unfortunatelly the prices are much higher in Hungary, that's the cause sometimes we (with some of my friends) order boardgames from abroad in a mass. Usually from Germna sites such as http://www.spiele-offensive.de/ or http://www.milan-spiele.de/

I hope you and your wife enjoyed very much the Village, because I'm very curious about your opinion.

Ciara said...

Oh, I love medieval fairs. I hope you enjoy. I'm a new follower. Thanks for commenting on my guest post at Alex's today.

Gina Gao said...

The medieval fair sounds great! I've always wanted to attend one but never knew how.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...