Saturday, August 18, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1233

Hello and welcome to issue #1232 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a week! I do not want to bore you with details. Do you know the feeling to wake up on Saturday morning with the satisfying feeling that the past five days went well? It is great. So without any further ado

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. My summer reading list 2012
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Only one book
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Author's service
  2. Video read-through
  3. A wicked delivery
  4. A special diet

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Looper

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Visit

The Lighthouse

Last week I finished two books, started to read to new books, read in sum 501 pages and delivered two reviews.

I finished

- City of Shadows (2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337074] by Alex Scarrow (sixth book in the TimeRiders series)
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Definitely as good as the first book in the series. There are so many things going on. So many revelations in one book! And there are still open questions which hopefully will be answered in the seventh and final book."

- The House of Silk [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by Anthony Horowitz
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"What an impressive read, so vivid, so emotional. This is the best Sherlock Holmes novel not written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I read so far.
I hope and wish that Anthony Horowitz will write more Sherlock Holmes novels"


I'm

- 305 pages in Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
Slowly but surely I travel through the book.

- 16 pages in Full Dark House (pb 2004 and digital 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553815528 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003PJ6FYS] by Christopher Fowler.
I could not resist and read 3 chapters. The first chapter has been so convincing. I found a new series for me!

- 47 pages in The Map of Time (pb, July 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1451683035] Felix J. Palma
More time travel


MY SUMMER READING LIST 2012

I think it is time to have a look at the list which contains 20 books.
So far I read eight books but I did not finish one of them. Another three are in progress. That does not look bad. I posted two of three reviews I promised. And I can assure you that more reviews are in the pipeline.

I must say that I'm quite happy with my choice.
Anyway as I did not finish one of the books I decided to add another book.
Full Dark House (pb 2004 and digital 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553815528 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003PJ6FYS] by Christopher Fowler.
"When a bomb devastates the office of London's most unusual police unit and claims the life of Arthur Bryant, his partner John May searches for clues to the bomber's identity. Before long he is on the trail through Blitz-ravaged London and the gothic world of the theatre." [Source]
I think I told enough about the book in the last issue.
After reading the first three chapters I know I chose the right book!
The good thing is that there are nine more books in this series!




Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


In issue #1231 of Edi's Weekend Wave I told you that I bought digital copy of the fourth Eddie LaCrosse Wake of the Bloody Angel (pb and digital, July 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765327451 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Alex Bledsoe.
To my surprise the kind people of Tor/Forge.com sent me a paperback copy! That's great because there are books which I like to have as real books.
I tell you once again that I'm a big fan of Eddie LaCrosse and I read and reviewed The Sword-Edged Blonde (my review),  Burn Me Deadly (my review) and Dark Jenny (my review).

"Twenty years ago, a barmaid in a harbor town fell for a young sailor who turned pirate to make his fortune. But what truly became of Black Edward Tew remains a mystery - one that has just fallen into the lap of freelance sword jockey Eddie LaCrosse.
For years, Eddie has kept his office above Angelina's tavern, so when Angelina herself asks him to find out what happened to the dashing pirate who stole her heart, he can hardly say no - even though the trail is two decades old. Some say Black Edward and his ship, The Bloody Angel, went to bottom of the sea, taking with it a king's fortune in treasure. Others say he rules a wealthy, secret pirate kingdom. And a few believe he still sails under a ghostly flag with a crew of the damned.
To find the truth, and earn his twenty-five gold pieces a day, Eddie must take to sea in the company of a former pirate queen in search of the infamous Black Edward Tew.and his even more legendary treasure." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I belong to the people who like to order books in advance. One reason is the price guarantee you get for example over at Amazon.de.
But once a while it happens that such an order is cancelled after a year because the publishing date has been postponed again and again.
I'm a fan of the Chathrand Voyage series by Robert V.S. Redick.
I do not really  remember when I ordered The Night of the Swarm which is the fourth and final book in the series.
But I remember that my order has been cancelled in spring 2012.
I said to myself that in this case I will wait until the book will be avaible.

Fortunately author takes care on his readership and I highly appreciate his post
THE NIGHT OF THE SWARM: An Open Letter to my Readers because it contains the final release dates for the book:
"The Night of the Swarm will be published October 25, 2012 by Gollancz (in the U.K.) and January 15, 2013 by Del Rey."
I enjoyed The Red Wolf Conspiracy (2008) (my review), The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Ruling Sea) (2009) (my review) and The River of Shadows (2011) a lot and look forward to read hwo the story around the tarboy Pazel Pathkendle and his friends will end inThe Night of the Swarm.


Thanks to Pyr-omania where I found following video:
I must say this the first time I saw such kind of video.
If you would like to have a digital copy of the catalogue then I have good news for you: You can download The Pyr Fall-Winter 2012-2013 catalog in PDF format by clicking on the link.


Do you receive wicked deliveries once a while? I must I say I never received something like describe on Stainless Steel Droppings. Read Something Wicked(ly fun) This Way Came and have a look at the pictures.


Finally I want to talk about diet. I still go to the gym three times a week and I still follow the nutrition schedule I got from my wife.
But that is not the kind of diet I want to talk about. Have a look at the following video and you know what kind of diet I mean.
I must say the authors has a point .... For more information visit The Digital Diet.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Time travel. Everywhere time travel. And of course ther will be a time travel movie in September:
"In the futuristic action thriller Looper, time travel will be invented - but it will be illegal and only available on the black market. When the mob wants to get rid of someone, they will send their target 30 years into the past, where a "looper" - a hired gun, like Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) - is waiting to mop up. Joe is getting rich and life is good... until the day the mob decides to "close the loop," sending back Joe's future self (Bruce Willis) for assassination." [Source]
This is the story of Looper, an upcoming science fiction film.
And this is the trailer:
The story sounds interesting and there will be a lot of action. Not decided yet if Iwant to see Looper or not.

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

What shall I say? Need a visit first ....


"Once in a while you have to take a break and visit yourself.
Audrey Giorgi

4 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

I read the Bryant & May On the Loose by Christopher Fowler. The book was good, but I didn't like the end of it. Somehow I'm not feeling any urge to continue of his bookseries, but it's mostly because the lack of my time.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Never thought about orders getting cancelled when the book is delayed. And looking forward to Looper.

ediFanoB said...

@Zoltan,

I think it is not necessary to tell you something about lack of time :-))

I fell totally in love with Bryant & May and it took me less than 50 pages. It seems these two guys have been waiting for me. I will definitely read all the books.

You read book seven of the series. Good to read that the book was good. A bad ending can ruin every book.


ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

Amazon.de checks the availability of ordered books regularly and when an ordered book pass the publishing date and is still not available, Amazon.de cancel the order. It happened several times to me.

I think you will see the Looper before me. So I look forward to read your impression.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...