Saturday, August 11, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1232


Hello and welcome to issue #1232 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Last week I needed a lot more sleep than usual. That means I have had less time for reading and reviewing and searching for interesting topics. I wanted to finish two reviews but failed. But I went three times to the gym and on Monday my wife and I watched Merida (original title: Brave) in cinema. That was a nice one. A movie where you could easily separate yourself from the rest of the world. 
ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reading progress
  2. Advice needed-Result
  3. Book junkie
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books I bought
  2. A new project
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Snug Nugget
  2. The SSP Feel the Fire contest
  3. The Steampunk Style Test

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Next Monday I will see ...

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Opportunity

The Lighthouse

Last week I slept mostly instead of reading. Therefore the result is no surprise: I finished no book and read in sum 322 pages.

I'm

- 305 pages in Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
A small progress last week.


- 118 pages in The House of Silk [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by Anthony Horowitz
A small progress last week.

- 243 pages in City of Shadows (2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337074] by Alex Scarrow (sixth book in the TimeRiders series)
Halfway through. Exciting read with a lot of revelations.


Advice needed - Result

A big thank you goes to Wendy L. She is my 150th follower. This is a number of followers I did not expect to achieve. Compared to other blogs my post frequency is low. But occasionally I find the time to post more.
Anyway I'm happy that there are people who like what I do.


I'm definitely a book junkie. Every day I check the list of free books in German and English over at the Kindle shop at Amazon.de. Again and again I find interesting books. There is a lot of space on 16 GB SD CARD.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

As I wrote before, I download a lot of books, mostly unknown books. I decided not to present them here. I concentrate on the books I buy and the ones I receive for reviewing purpose.

Last week I bought three books. Two of them belong to my 2012 Summer reading list and have been highly anticipated.

On Saturday morning I we went to gym and when we returned a neighbour handed over an Amazon package to me. Hastily I opened the five centimeter thick package and there it was: A paperback copy of one of my most anticipated novels in 2012:

King of Thorns (pb, August 2012) 
[ISBN-13: 978-0007481897] 

"The boy who would be King has gained the throne...
Prince Honorious Jorg Ancrath vowed when he was nine to avenge his slaughtered mother and brother—and punish his father for not doing so. When he was fifteen, he began to fulfill that vow. Now he is eighteen—and he must hold on by strength of arms to what he took by torture and treachery. King Jorg is a man haunted: by the ghost of a young boy, by a mysterious copper box, by his desire for the woman who rides with his enemy. Plagued by nightmares of the atrocities he committed, and of the atrocities committed against him when he was a child, he is filled with rage. And even as his need for revenge continues to consume him, twenty thousand men march toward the gates of his castle. His enemy is far stronger than him. Jorg knows that he cannot win a fair fight. But he has found, in a chamber hidden beneath the castle, ancient and long-lost artifacts. Some might call them magic. Jorg is not certain—all he knows is that the secrets they hold can be put to terrible use in the coming battle..." [Source]
More than 500 pages reading pleasure ahead. Now I need to hurry up to finish one of my current reads. And I'm pretty sure I will finish the next book within the next two days.

On Tuesday last week I received a copy of the other book from my 2012 Summer reading list. It is the last but one book in the TimeRiders series and belongs also to my list of highly anticipated books. As I wrote above, I could not resist and started reading of
City of Shadows (2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337074] by Alex Scarrow
"Liam O'Connor should have died at sea in 1912. 
Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010. 
Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026.
But all three have been given a second chance - to work for an agency that no one knows exists. Its purpose: to prevent time travel destroying history . . .
Hunted by cyborg assassins from the future, the TimeRiders must abandon New York and go on the run. They escape to Victorian London and the streets where Jack the Ripper roams. But, before they can establish their new base, they make their most shattering discovery yet - and it will change everything . . ." [Source]

And what I have read so far fits perfectly to the description by author Alex Scarrow  delivered in following video.

Before I present the last book I bought last week, I must write a little bit more about the TimeRiders series . Of course I ordered a copy of the seventh and final book in the series but after reading the blurb, I have doubts that this will be really the end of the series. I have to ask the author.
Nevertheless this is what will be published on 7th February 2013:
The Pirate King (2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337180] by Alex Scarrow
"Relocated to Victorian London, the TimeRiders joy-ride back to 1666 to witness the Great Fire of London. In the ensuing chaos, Liam and their newest recruit, Rashim, find themselves trapped between the fire and the Thames. They escape onboard a river boat, only to be confronted by an unscrupulous captain with his heart set on treasures of the high seas . . . Back in 1888, Maddy and the rest of the team are frantically trying to track them down. But with limited resources at their new base, can Liam and Rashim survive the bloodthirsty and barbaric age of piracy long enough to be rescued?" [Source]
I know that all sounds a bit enthusiastic. But I really, really, like this time travel series. I read all the books so far and I reviewed the first three books in the TimeRiders series:

- MY REVIEW of TimeRiders (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326924] by Alex Scarrow 
- MY REVIEW of TimeRiders: Day of the Predator (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326931] by Alex Scarrow
- MY REVIEW of TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code (February 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141333489] by Alex Scarrow

That's enough about time travels. But when I think about the blurb of the next and last book I bought last week then I must admit that there is also a kind of time travel involved. From time to time I mention blogs which I follow. When I do that it is often related to books which I discovered over there. And over at Rob's Blog o' Stuff I found the book which aroused my interest. I read Strange Launch & Full Dark - Two New Reviews  which contained parts of a review of Full Dark House (pb 2004 and digital 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0553815528 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003PJ6FYS] by Christopher Fowler.
I will not quote the review. Read the full review by Mark Yon which you find over at SFFWorld.com.
Based on that review I finally bought a digital copy of Full Dark House which is the first book in the Bryant and May Mystery series.There is an excellent article about the series by the author himself which I recommend to read if you are interested in the books.
"When a bomb devastates the office of London's most unusual police unit and claims the life of Arthur Bryant, his partner John May searches for clues to the bomber's identity. Before long he is on the trail through Blitz-ravaged London and the gothic world of the theatre." [Source]

I know the blurb is not that extraordinary and overwhelming.
But I assure you that you will see the by with other eyes as soon as you have read the review mentioned above.

I have been that thrilled that I started to think about to add the book to my 2012 reading list.


New Project
In 2011  Courtney Schafer, author of The Whitefire Crossing (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] , has been so kind to send me an electronic copy of her book.
n so kind to send me an electronic copy of her book.
"Dev is a smuggler with the perfect cover. He's in high demand as a guide for the caravans that carry legitimate goods from the city of Ninavel into the country of Alathia. The route through the Whitefire Mountains is treacherous, and Dev is one of the few climbers who knows how to cross them safely. With his skill and connections, it's easy enough to slip contraband charms from Ninavel - where any magic is fair game, no matter how dark - into Alathia, where most magic is outlawed.
But smuggling a few charms is one thing; smuggling a person through the warded Alathian border is near suicidal. Having made a promise to a dying friend, Dev is forced to take on a singularly dangerous cargo: Kiran. A young apprentice on the run from one of the most powerful mages in Ninavel, Kiran is desperate enough to pay a fortune to sneak into a country where discovery means certain execution - and he'll do whatever it takes to prevent Dev from finding out the terrible truth behind his getaway.
Yet Kiran isn't the only one harboring a deadly secret. Caught up in a web of subterfuge and dark magic, Dev and Kiran must find a way to trust each other - or face not only their own destruction, but that of the entire city of Ninavel." [Source]

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Beside all the stress I finished reading another great fantasy reading. There is more behind the story as you think at first sight. Mountain climbing plays an important part in the book. I do not have any experience in this area but Courtney created breathtaking scenes. I liked the two main characters - Dev and Kiran - more and more after every revelation. I look forward to read the next book in the series. I hope I will write and finish my full review before the publishing date of the next book."

I still need to write my ful review. Despite this fact offered me a copy of The Tainted City (pb, October, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] which is the second book in the The Shattered Sigil series.
"Dev is a desperate man. After narrowly surviving a smuggling job gone wrong, he's now a prisoner of the Alathian Council, held hostage to ensure his friend Kiran - former apprentice to one of the most ruthless mages alive - does their bidding.
But Kiran isn't Dev's only concern. Back in his home city of Ninavel, the child he once swore to protect faces a terrible fate if he can't reach her in time, and the days are fast slipping away. So when the Council offers Dev freedom in exchange for his and Kiran's assistance in a clandestine mission to Ninavel, he can't refuse, no matter how much he distrusts their motives.
Once in Ninavel the mission proves more treacherous than even Dev could have imagined. Betrayed by allies, forced to aid their enemies, he and Kiran must confront the darkest truths of their pasts if they hope to save those they love and survive their return to the Tainted City." [Source]
Of course I want to read and review The Tainted City. In 2011 I read and reviewed The English and German edition of Prince of ThornsDer Prinz der Dunkelheit by Mark Lawrence. Now Courtney Schafer asked me if I would like to do the same for The Whitefire Crossing. The German edition will be published approximately in 2013. I did not hesitate to say yes. So I have my first project in 2013.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I did not read many post on other blogs last week. But there is one post by Jamie Gibbs over at his blog Mithril Wisdom. In his post
Snug Nugget is the Humble Bundle for books he talks about  
I think this an interesting concept with benefits for authors AND readers.




Last week I posted about



This week I have the pleasure to inform you about the



Follow the link, have a look at the prices and take part!


As you may know I read a lot of steampunk novels. So far I never thought about steampunk fashion. But I wanted to know what kind of steampunk fashion would fit to me. And fortunately I found
The Steampunk Style Test over at Hello Quizzie.

Of course I share my result with you. In case you do the test please leave a comment with your result.

The Steampunk Style Test Result:
The Officer 
46% Elegant, 45% Technological, 50% Historical, 60% Adventurous and 14% Playful!
"You are the Officer, the embodiment of steampunk’s military sensibilities.  It is an inevitable fact that advances in technology find some way to advance warfare; indeed, it is often the case that military necessity provides the means of developing new technology.  You may be attracted to the technological appeal of steampunk weaponry, or perhaps you enjoy the glamour of Victorian uniforms.  You combine a readiness for danger and a technological aptitude with a very sharp sense of fashion.  You may be an army engineer, a mechanized dragoon, or an airship captain, but regardless you approach fashion with military efficiency and with style."

It would like to be an airship captain .....


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

On next Monday my wife and I will go again to cinema. This will be the third consecutive Monday. I think I do not to tell anything about the film.
Watch the trailer and you know what we will enjoy.

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Opportunity. Whenever the word comes up in mind I remember immediately a song line: "Opportunity comes once in a lifetime."
Do you know the song where this line appears? The answer is
HERE ...


"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison, US inventor (1847 - 1931)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on a hundred and fifty followers!
Some great new books coming out.
Be curious what you think of Prometheus. Unfortunately, it was a movie that the more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
thank you!

Toooooooo many great books are coming out.
I even fail to read all the books I have at home.

Prometheus was not my movie of the year. So far THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is in the lead.
All in all Prometheus was not bad. I think it was overloaded. Too many topics for on movie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...