Saturday, August 04, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1231

Hello and welcome to issue #1231 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a week!
I went to work and wrung my brain out. I went to the gym three times. I read a less then I wanted. I wrote no review as I wanted. I slept bad in the night and felt tired during the day. I received a lot of messages but was too tired to answer most of them.

There is something really obvious. If you do not sleep well and if you do not sleep enough life does not go well.
Do you know the feeling when you come home from work where a lot of great books are waiting to be read and reviewed, where a sheet with dates and ideas for the blog lays on the table, where people wait for a message from you and the only thing you are able to do is to sit on the sofa and close your eyes until dinner.
But there has been something positive at the beginning of the week:
My wife and I went to cinema and we both enjoyed THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. So not everything is bad.
I hope I will finish this post before I fall asleep in front of my laptop.
People listen to an unfinished symphony but who will read an unfinished post.
And now without further ado

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
  2. Advice needed
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copies I received
  2. Books I bought 
  3. A review copy with a story behind
  4. A book for free
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Something
  2. Deep in the ocean
  3. SSP announce TotB in the realms of SaS - what?
  4. Crayon
  5. The winner takes a lot - An author and his giveaway 
  6. I like this monthly feature

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Instead of a movie trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Peace

The Lighthouse


Last week has been a constant battle between reading and sleeping. I'm happy that I finished at least one book. In sum I read surprising 506 pages. 

I finished
- Caliban's War (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007PR3238] by  James S A Corey
It is as good as the first book in the sf series Expanse. Excellent reading. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.
 

I'm

- 271 pages in Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
A small progress last week.


- 97 pages in The House of Silk [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by Anthony Horowitz
I love this Sherlock Holmes novel since I finished the preface.



Advice needed

I'm happy with the increasing numbers of followers. I never thought that 149 would follow my blog. Every day when I visit my blog I check the number of followers and I ask myself what can I do to get one more.
You see I do not have impossible targets. I really would like to see the number 150.

And that is where I need your advice. What shall I do to get one more follower? Any ideas are highly welcomed.
I look forward to read your proposals in the comment section of this post.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


Tor/Forge.com surprised me with three review copies. Therefore I send a big thank you over the pond.

I'm not interested in Urban Fantasy. So I need to think about what I will do with the paperback copy of  Kitty steals the Show (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765365668] by Carrie Vaughn. It is the tenth book in the Kitty Norville series about a werewolf named Kitty. Kitty hosts a talk radio advice show for supernaturally disadvantaged. There are plans for at least two more novels ....
"Kitty has been tapped as the keynote speaker for the First International Conference on Paranatural Studies, taking place in London. The conference brings together scientists, activists, protestors, and supernatural beings from all over the world--and Kitty, Ben, and Cormac are right in the middle of it.
Master vampires from dozens of cities have also gathered in London for a conference of their own. With the help of the Master of London, Kitty gets more of a glimpse into the Long Game--a power struggle among vampires that has been going on for centuries--than she ever has before. In her search for answers, Kitty has the help of some old allies, and meets some new ones, such as Caleb, the alpha werewolf of the British Isles. The conference has also attracted some old enemies, who've set their sights on her and her friends.
All the world's a stage, and Kitty's just stepped into the spotlight." [Source]



The two hardcover copies Ireceived from Tor/Forge.com are much more interesting for me.
The first one is The Devil Delivered (hc, June 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765330024] by Steven Erikson. I do not want to tell more about the book and the author because the blurb delivers all information.
"Three wonderfully unique novelettes from the man behind the groundbreaking New York Times bestselling series Malazan Book of the Fallen
In between writing his ten-book epic that changed the way many look at fantasy storytelling, Steven Erikson also wrote great stories set outside of his awe-inspiring Malazan world. These three tales contain all the same style and flavor that made him a New York Times bestseller.
This collection includes:
The Devil Delivered: In the breakaway Lakota Nation, in the heart of a land blistered beneath an ozone hole the size of the Great Plains of North America, a lone anthropologist wanders the deadlands, recording observations that threaten to bring the world's powers to their knees.
Revolvo: In the fictitious country of Canada, the arts scene is ruled by technocrats who thrive in a secret, nepotistic society of granting agencies, bursaries, and peer review boards, all designed to permit self-proclaimed artists to survive without an audience.
Fishing with Grandma Matchie: A children's story of a boy tasked with a writing assignment becomes a stunning fantastical journey with his tale-spinning grandmother."[Source]

There are still so many authors for me to discover. One of them is John Scalzi. So far I did not read one book by John Scalzi. And now I got a copy of Redshirts (hc, June 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765316998].
"Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to theUniversal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of theUniversal Union since the year 2456. It's a prestige posting,and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to theship's Xenobiology laboratory.
Life couldn't be better.until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethalconfrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship's captain, its chiefscience officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky alwayssurvive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed.
Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy belowdecks is expendedon avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission.Then Andrew stumbles on information that completelytransforms his and his colleagues' understanding of what thestarship Intrepid really is.and offers them a crazy, high-riskchance to save their own lives" [Source]
I must the that the blurb aroused my interest. But time will tell when I find time to read the book.


I bought two digital copies last week. As a big fan of the  Eddie LaCrosse novels by Alex Bledsoe
- The Sword-Edged Blonde (my review),
- Burn Me Deadly (my review)
- Dark Jenny (my review).
it has been only a question of time until I bought my digital copy of the fourth Eddie LaCrosse Wake of the Bloody Angel (pb and digital, July 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765327451 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Alex Bledsoe:

"Twenty years ago, a barmaid in a harbor town fell for a young sailor who turned pirate to make his fortune. But what truly became of Black Edward Tew remains a mystery - one that has just fallen into the lap of freelance sword jockey Eddie LaCrosse.
For years, Eddie has kept his office above Angelina's tavern, so when Angelina herself asks him to find out what happened to the dashing pirate who stole her heart, he can hardly say no - even though the trail is two decades old. Some say Black Edward and his ship, The Bloody Angel, went to bottom of the sea, taking with it a king's fortune in treasure. Others say he rules a wealthy, secret pirate kingdom. And a few believe he still sails under a ghostly flag with a crew of the damned.
To find the truth, and earn his twenty-five gold pieces a day, Eddie must take to sea in the company of a former pirate queen in search of the infamous Black Edward Tew.and his even more legendary treasure." [Source]
There has been a Kindle book offer over at Amazon.de. I could not resist to buy a 500 page digital copy for just one EURO.
The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF (digital and pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1849013055 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003U2TCOU] by Mike Ashley.
"Stories of the fall of civilisation, the destruction of the Earth and the end of the Universe itself 
The last sixty years have been full of stories of one or other possible Armageddon, whether by nuclear war, plague, cosmic catastrophe or, more recently, global warming, terrorism, genetic engineering, AIDS and other pandemics. These stories, both pre- and post-apocalyptic, describe the fall of civilization, the destruction of the entire Earth, or the end of the Universe itself. Many of the stories reflect on humankind's infinite capacity for self-destruction, but the stories are by no means all downbeat or depressing - one key theme explores what the aftermath of a cataclysm might be and how humans strive to survive" [Source]
This is a good opportunity to get a lot of (short) stories by different authors. And apocalypse and how people copy with the apocalypse is an exciting question.


What would you do in case you get a review request for a book which you do not want to read but you know someone who will definitely read it? I did following. I asked if I would get a guest review for the review copy and the answer was yes. So I accepted the review copy and in near future you can read a guest review of The Sixth Sense (digital and pb, July 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1478267607 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008PP3N0G] by Lawrence W. Gold, M.D. Before you get the cover and the blurb, let me tell you that this is a medical thriller.
"Arnie Roth, a family practitioner, develops viral encephalitis. He awakens from the near-death experience with a new appreciation for life and an unexpected talent, his sensitivity to smell has increased a thousandfold.
At first Arnie is enthralled with his talented nose as he savors the aromatic delights of his world. Soon, however, Arnie discovers that all smells are not sweet and many come with unsolicited messages that profoundly affect his psyche.
Arnie can detect danger, disease, drugs, contaminated food and medications, and he senses when his wife is horny. He smells when people are lying to him.
Arnie's nose captures molecules beyond smell, the invisible chemicals that effect human behavior known as pheromones, his sixth sense.
Soon the surge of aromas inundates Arnie and puts his sanity in jeopardy." [Sent by mail] 


I assume most of you like books for free like I do. In case you know the Phoenix Pick Catalogue then you can skip this part of the post. I did not know it. I have to say thank you to Grasping for the Wind where I ffound following post:
[FREE EBOOK] Pallas by L. Neil Smith

If you want to know how you can get a free digital copy of Wind Over Pallas (digital and pb, 2010) by L. Neil Smith, please follow the link above.
"Ex-U.S.-Senator Gibson Altman rules the prison colony where everyone is expected to live by rules that govern every aspect of their lives.
The inhabitants of the experimental colony survive in a society plagued by crime, corruption and despair, toiling endlessly at tasks they are appointed to. Altman lives a life of luxury, ruling the lives of the souls trapped within his experiment and brooking no opposition to mandate.
However, Pallas, the terraformed asteroid, is also home to Curringer, a society in stark contrast to Altman's prison. It is a community where individual freedoms are championed and men and women are free to live as they please.
Emerson Ngu escapes from Altman's prison colony and becomes a hero of Curringer. Altman is driven by a deep hatred of Emerson and his triumph and will do anything to get his revenge on him. But in the process will he also destroy his own daughter and even the world of Pallas?"[Source

Despite the fact that you can get a free book I recommend to visit Phoenix Pick Catalogue because they have some interesting titles in their catalogue.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I appreciate  Rosalie Skinner's The Chronicles of Caleath series and she writes often comments. Beside that she writes posts about fantasy related topics. Today I recommend to read Rosalie's post about the use of the word "something" in fantasy novels over at Fantasy Faction. And this is the post:


We know more about the moon than about our oceans. And there is life deep in the ocean. But to be honest, do you want to meet the animals shown over at WebUrbanist ? Have a look at

Let me solve the riddle of the mysterious headline SSP announce TotB in the realms of SaS. It means Seventh Star Press announced Thunder on the Battlefield in the realms of Sword and Sorcery.
Thunder on the Battlefield is the name of a new anthology project.
Don't worry. I will not post the whole announcement which you can read here. I think the first two paragraphs will give you a first impression what to expect.
"Seventh Star Press proudly announces a new anthology project with James R. Tuck, author of the highly acclaimed Deacon Chalk stories released by Kensington Publishing. An open call for submissions has been issued regarding the new anthology, Thunder on the Battlefield, which will take the reader on many adventures within the realms of Sword and Sorcery.
Writers are encouraged by James to explore the possibilities of the genre. The time of the story could be placed in an ancient world, or even perhaps a futuristic one where a cataclysm has set a modernistic society back into a barbaric age. The setting could be the heart of Africa, the steppes of Russia, the snowbound wastes of Iceland, or the hills of China. Warriors were found throughout the ages, the Celts, the Vikings, the Samurai, the Israelites, the Zulu, the Romans, and many more. The challenge to the writer is to bring their best and make it heroic.
[...]
Thunder on the Battlefield is slated for release in the 2nd quarter of 2013 in both print and eBook editions."
That means that around this time in 2013 I will post about the result



Did you know that is possible to use crayon without using it? Don't worry I'm not confused. When you look at
over at WebUrbanist, you will understand what I mean.


I MUST talk about the very first giveaway of
author  Stephen Zimmer !!
As you can see  Stephen Zimmer offers a lot. So don't hesitate to enter the giveaway. The following link takes you immediately to  Stephen Zimmer 's blog:

Good luck to all participants.


There is a feature over at Fantasy Book Critic which I highly appreciate.
At the beginning of the month Liviu delivers a great post with the title
Spotlight on [name of the month] Books.
Every issue contains an excellent book collection. Often I find books over there which I missed somehow. You need books for your TBR pile? Then go quickly to Spotlight on August Books.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

On next Monday my wife and I will go again to cinema. This time we want to have fun. Which Movie? let me give some hints. Bow and arrow, red hair, Pixar .... Any clue? I think most of you may know the title of the movie. For the rest I post again the trailer.





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Habits. They have an impact on our life. Are you a slave to your habits? Or do you belong to the people described in the following quote ...


"Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.
Agatha Christie, English mystery author (1890 - 1976)

10 comments:

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Sounds as though you managed to get a lot done despite your lack of quality sleep.
Great crayon portrait. :) Love the idea.
Thanks for titles added to my reading list... again. I look forward to my holiday and having time to work through the files on my Kindle. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you finally got to see Dark Knight Rises!
To get another follower? Follow a couple more blogs.
And I could always mention it in my Ninja News tomorrow!

Zoltán Gecse said...

I saw the Dark Knight Rises too! It wasn't bad, but I say still the Batman Begins! is the greatest Batman movie of Nolan. (We well used the oportunity our children was at my parents last week.)

Reading Alex kind thoughts I think you will have +50 new followers by tomorrow. ;)

Thanks to you I started to follow Stephen Zimmer. I liked his short stories, but I hadn't got time to read his longer stories yet.

Steven Erikson's book looks interesting too.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

it could have been much more with quality sleep.

It seems I pick the right books for you :-)

I'm sure you will have a pleasant holiday which you really deserve.
I read that you work on a map. Do you use software for that?

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Map making. I use reference material and pen and ink. Then I scan images into photoshop and work on them there.

I don't have map making software.
:(

I think we read-alike. hehe.
Hope to return from the holidays refreshed and ready to go!

ediFanoB said...

Dear Alex,

thank you for advice. To follow more blogs is a question of time. But I will try. I think one more follower is a modest target.

If you mention my wish on your blog it would be appreciated. But I'm afraid if you do that it will be in the end a lot more than just one follower and I'm not sure if I can hndle that.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Zoltan,

so far I have not decided yet which one is the best Nolan Batman movie.
For me The Dark Night Rises is more than just a super hero movie. It is definitely a worthy end of the trilogy.

I like Stephen Zimmer and his books lot.
I think you will need some time to read Stephen's books when I look at the number of pages .....

I was not aware that Steven Erikson wrote these stories.

ediFanoB said...

Wow!
The was a quick reply Rosalie.
I follow a blog with name Fantasy Map Maker. It is about the Campaining Cartographer 3 software and maps made with this software. But it is not that cheap.
Maybe it is interesting for you.

Wendy said...

I love your blog Edi. As you will notice, I am follower #150 and feel very privileged to be so. :) Now on to your 200th.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Wendy,

wonderful news on a Monday morning in Germany. Thank you so much for being my 150th follower.

Before I started to write this comment I visited WENDY L. Now I'm your 13th follower which is a lucky number for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...