Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Edi's Spotlight: The Brotherhood of Piaxia by Michael Drakich


Dear Readers,
today I review a book from my summer reading list 2012. The author sent me a review request several months ago. Somehow I missed his first request. Fortunately he came back to me again. And luckily I decided to give the book a try.

Introduction
 Author Michael Drakich sent me a digital copy of The Brotherhood of Piaxia (digital, March 2012)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007KPS442] which I read for this review.

Book Store Information
In general my decision to read a book is mostly based on the cover and the blurb/synopsis delivered on the back cover. You do not get more information when you are in a book store. The world of books is changing which means I also will take in account blurbs and descriptions on GOODREADS and other places.
Here we go:

The Brotherhood of Piaxia (digital, March 2012)
[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007KPS442]
"Years have passed since the overthrow of the monarchy by the Brotherhood of Warlocks and they rule Piaxia in peaceful accord. But now forces are at work to disrupt this rule from outside the Brotherhood as well as within! Follow Tarlok, Savan and Tessia as their paths intertwine, with the Brotherhood in pursuit and the powerful merchant’s guild manipulating the populace for their own end." [Source]

My Expectations
Based on the blurb and on the cover I expected a character driven story with intrigue, betrayal and acion.

The Delivery
The 311 pages of the story are divided into 44 consecutively numbered chapters which are framed by a prologue and an epilogue.
But there is more at the beginning of the book which I really appreciate. The authors delivers a list of characters without any spoiler and a map.

Incredible! So far I did not use the word fantasy. The Brotherhood of Piaxia is  a fantasy novel and delivers ingredients which you can expect from this kind of novel: Swords and magic, a lost princess, a world with a medieval touch.

That sounds like a standard fantasy novel and it would be definitely fall short in case of The Brotherhood of Piaxia. Michael Drakich used the mentioned ingredients as a skeleton for his book. It is the "meat" around the bones which separates The Brotherhood of Piaxia from a standard fantasy novel.


There are a lot of opportunities to begin a novel and each has its advantages/disadvantages.
A novel which delivers a lot of information about the world and the history of the world will be sensed as a slow starter by a lot of people.
And The Brotherhood of Piaxia is such a kind of novel. I must say sometimes I like it and sometimes not.In case of The Brotherhood of Piaxia I like it.
I absorbed all the information like a sponge. While doing that I have been sucked into the story. I do not have problems with novels which have more than three characters. And as Michael Drakich delivers a list of characters right at the beginning of the book, it should be no problem to follow them.
From my point of view every character get the adequate attention due to their importance.
As a father of a grown up daughter I can tell you that the realisation of Tessia is brilliant.
The whole story would not work with all the different characters which all follow their own plans. That means there is a lot of intrigue. All these small stories within in the story are like beans entwining around a beanpole.
My favorite characters are not the ones mentioned in the blurb. I loved
Bron, a shepherd with secrets and Grott, a leader of brigands who shows more brain and heart as expected.
The world itself shows a medieval touch and the scenery depictions are well done. I did not have problems to imagine the different towns and the landscape. The magic used is understandable and fits.

Nothing to criticize?
There is one thing which annoyed me a little bit. I found several solutions at the end of the story far too easy. But that does not disturb the good impression left by the rest of the book.

The Brotherhood of Piaxia is what it want to be - a real entertaining fantasy story. It comes along with more characters than you normally get but a lot less then you meet in a famous series you can watch at HBO.
It has definitely more magic than a famous fantasy trilogy you could see in cenimas. There is less blood and gore than in a book with a title how to serve a drink. It is also a book which do not drown in romance.

For me is a book which you like to read when you want to have a well dosed mix of well known books.

Or in simple words The Brotherhood of Piaxia is like the espresso you enjoy after a good meal.



2 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

By the first look into the cover I'm not completely sure I'm interested about this book. Somehow it have an old-school or childhood tale feeling of it. But it means also nothing. You can find real treasures behind the ugly surface. :)
The most important thing is the content, the story itself. If it is good, then the cover won't matter.

ediFanoB said...

I must say I decided to read and review the book without having a look at the cover. I'm glad that I did because the cover is not exactly brilliant.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...