Saturday, July 28, 2012

Ed's Weekend Wave Issue #1230

Hello and welcome to issue #1230 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
With a lot of rain on Friday evening/night a really hot summer week inGermany found its end. I can't cope well with temperatures beyond 30 C°. My wife can tell you a thing or to about it. But despite the heat I went to gym and sweat like a waterfall. Anyway the gym is good against the blahs. And yes I'm still on diet. No sweets, no cake, That was a great week with three additional posts. I'm still on diet. Instead of sweets, cake and chocolate I "eat" books. Have a great weekend wherever you are and now

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Half time report
  3. REMINDER
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. More "food" for my reader
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Giant Robots
  2. I met someone on a cyber launch party
  3. Phobos

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Instead of a movie trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Peace

The Lighthouse


Extended dilemma - reading books vs. blog, mail, social media under difficult conditions. I have been surprised that I read in sum 633 pages! I did not expect that. And I finished two books.

I finished
- Company of Liars  [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B002RI9R98] by Karen Maitland.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" Author A. L. Berridge recommended the book to my wife. I could not resist to read it too because I like historical fiction.

The book delivered everything promised in the description and more. I have been surprised by the end. There are a lot of things to say about this book.
That means I work on a full review ....."


- Falstaff's Big Gamble (ebook September 1, 2012, pb October 1, 2012, due to information by the author)by Hank Quense
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I received a digital copy from the author.
The characters of two Shakespeare novels in a fantasy world.
A light and fun read - ideal for hot summer days, if you are in the right mood.
If you look for something serious then stay away.
Full review in progress ...."

 

I'm

- 241 pages in Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
A small progress last week.

- 108 pages in Caliban's War (digital, 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007PR3238] by  James S A Corey
This is the second book in the sf series Expanse and the story continues promising


I dropped
- The Jackal of Nar [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by John Marco after 308 pages.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I read promising reviews and I really, really wanted to read and like this book.
But after 308 pages I gave up. The story is good but I felt separated from the main characters. And without a certain connection to characters I can't enjoy a book."



Half time report
July is nearly over and so far no half time report appeared on the blog.
To be honest, so far I did not find time to do that and finally I decided to pass the half time report. It is sad but I have to face reality.



REMINDER

Do not forget that my worldwide giveaway of Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126] by Geoffrey Williams is still running.

GIVEAWAY LINK

INTERVIEW LINK

REVIEW LINK




Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

I bought no copies last week. But no week without new books. Three authors have been so kind to sent me digital review copies.

Let me start with a book which will be published in September (ebook) and October (pb) 2012. I received a mail from author Hank Quense who asked me if I would like to read and review his upcoming novel Falstaff's Big Gamble and after reading the blurb and watching the trailer I said yes. I did it because I felt a certain desire to read something light and funny. And now without further ado the book information.
Falstaff's Big Gamble (ebook September 1, 2012, pb October 1, 2012, due to information by the author)by Hank Quense
"This novel is Shakespeare's Worst Nightmare.
It takes two of the Bard's most famous plays, Hamlet and Othello, and recasts them in Gundarland. There, Hamlet becomes a dwarf and Othello a dark elf and Iago and his wife, Emilia, are trolls.
If that isn't bad enough, these two tragedies are now comedies with Falstaff, Shakespeare's most popular rogue, thrown in as a bonus.
Both Hamlet and Othello are plagued by the scheming Falstaff, who embezzles money from Othello. After Hamlet becomes king (with help from Falstaff) the rogue becomes the dark nemesis behind the throne."[Source]

And this is the trailer.



You will find the story how I got a copy of the following book in the next section of this post.
Wind Over Troubled Waters (digital and pb, April 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1554049615 and Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007X57XMS] by Edith Parzefall and Francine Stanley is the first of so far four planned books in the Higher Ground series, a post-apocalyptic fantasy adventure.
"Corn World. Britland. After the great flood, only memories, debris and derelict buildings speak of a past civilization. Visions of these disturbing times haunt Cerridwen’s dreams. When her dying mother sends Cerridwen to find a mural in Saint Eyes and lead Britland into a better future, the young healer has little choice but to set out on a life-changing quest. Her ability to perceive auras convinces her to accept nature-attuned Trevly’s offer of protection.
Bent on adventure and enthralled by the promise of treasure, beautiful Sasha, cunning Aron and uncut Boris join forces to get the most out of life. Their selfish plans collide with Cerridwen’s when they learn about a powerful ring and a mural pointing the way to its location. " [Source]
I told Edith Parzefall that it will take some time until I will read and review the book. She understood that even blogger have a kind of schedule.

Finally author Peter Lukes contacted me and told me about his publisher Musa Publishing and their speculative fiction imprint Urania. He asked me if I would be interested in to review books from this publisher. And one of the two excerpts he sent me aroused my interest. Anyway I will not read and review the following book before October because I'm busy with other books.
The Wrong Sword (digital, April 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007U11YD4] by Ted Mendelssohn.
"For a thousand years, Excalibur has been the sword of heroes. Unfortunately, its new owner isn’t one.
Ever since he arrived in Paris, Henry the Rat has made a pretty good living selling “magic” swords to gullible knights. But when Henry sells one to Geoffrey Plantagenet, brother to King Richard, his happy days are over for good. Geoffrey forces Henry into a dangerous, uncomfortable quest for the most famous magic sword of all time, Excalibur, even though Henry is certain that it’s just a myth.
Then Henry actually finds Excalibur - and his troubles really start: For Excalibur is not just the sword of heroes…it’s also the sword that won’t SHUT UP. It communicates with its owner, it knows what kind of owner it deserves, and Henry doesn’t even come close.
To keep Excalibur and the world safe from the appalling Geoffrey, Henry will have to masquerade as a knight, crash a royal wedding, rescue a princess, break a siege, penetrate the secrets of the Perilous Brotherhood, and find Excalibur’s rightful bearer, all while trying to reach an accommodation with a snotty, aristocratic hunk of steel that mocks him, takes over his body, and keeps trying to turn him into the one thing he hates most…a hero." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Robots belong to science fiction like the amen to the church. But I did not know that there are so many giant robots on Earth. The guys over at WebUrbanist show you


On Friday, July 27th, I visited the book launch party at Wendy Laharnar's blog..
Last week I posted about the event invitation.
The reason for the event

INVADED: The Darkest Day.. release day coming up!

PRE ORDER LINK 
if you live in North America... guarantee your copy and get a discount. :)
Email the publisher if you live outside the states and book your copy!

When I arrived at the party it was nearly over due to the time difference between Australia and Germany. But fortunately I goot a drink, looked who has been there all the day and I met a nice person from .........
GERMANY!! Incredible! Two persons living in Germany meet at a cyber party in Australia. Whom I met? Edith Parzefall. Her porfession? book author. And to my surprise she writes in English!
We have had a small talk and it took just a couple of minutes until we befriended on Twitter, Facebook and GOODREADS. It is funny that we did the whole conversation in English. Then we tried to mail in German and found it really difficult.
After our chat I received a mail from Edith with an attachment. I'm sure you know what kind of attachment I received ... a digital copy of by .
So you see it is worth to follow invitations to cybe launch parties.

I really like Dark Roasted Blend. They deliver so many great posts. About the post I recommend today I do not write more than the title and that the pictures shown gave me the creeps. And here we go:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

No movie trailer this week. I was thinking about what to show you instead. I thought it would be nice to show you something which outs a smile on your face. Here we go:



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think the quote for today is incomplete. It is missing following part ... as long as there is no smartphone ....


"There is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace. You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Animation was cute. They managed to give the shark's face personality.
And we've been around 100 degrees (which is 38 Celsius) for several weeks. Can't go outside without breaking into a sweat within a minute.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I do not envy you regarding the temperature.

There are so many well done animations out there. I hope to present more in future.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
So glad you met Edith at the book launch. Was sorry to miss you. I stayed up till nearly midnight.. late for one of my vintage!! LOL
Still.. Wendy's parties are a great place to hang out. I guess you didn't meet Wendy herself? She's another author but she's an Aussie. hehe Wrote a book about a time traveller who returned to Wilhelm Tell's Switzerland. A little Swiss in it, no German. hmm. Good story.
Thanks for coming to the book launch. It went well.

Gina Gao said...

Interesting video. I really liked this post.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

nutschell said...

interesting animation! Thanks for sharing:)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
Don't worry about that we missed each other on the party.
And unfortunately I did not meet Wendy too. Need to have a look at her book.
Instead I met the wonderful Edith. We chatted in English. Continued in German via mail and finally decided to return to English!
Thanks again for invitation.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Gina,

thanks for stopping by. There are more of these animations. I just takes time to find them.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Nutshell,
thanks for stopping by. As I said in my previous comment, there are a lot more of these animations. It just takes time to find them.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
That's quite interesting, that you and Edith returned to conversing in English. hmm.
Next release party, I will make sure I introduce you and Wendy. She throws the best cyber parties. hehe.

Denise Covey said...

Hello Edi. What an interesting site. Thanks for coming by my blog and commenting re the Google Images etc. So it's hot in Germany, eh? I'm currently holidaying in Fiji where it's winter, but it is around 30C.

Instead of sweets, 'eat' books. Love it. I'd be very fat if books put on weight.

Denise

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

I think when you talk about books in English it is more convenient to use English. I must say as soon as I press the power button of my laptop I start to think in English.

Will have a look at Wendy's book.

Good to read that the party went well.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Denise,

thank you for the compliment and for stopping by. Your post about copyright is helpful.

So temperature wise Fiji winter is like German summer. I hope Fiji summer is not like Death Valley ...

Fortunately books are calorie free. But it could be dangerous when you read within reach of sweets ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...