Saturday, July 14, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1228

Hello and welcome to issue #1228 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
My wife and are still on diet and we still go to gym three times per week. We feel the postive effects. Today we spent nearly two hours at the gym and have been tired afterwards. Sometimes it is like a drug and we have to take care not to overdo it.
On Thursday evening we went to an open air concert of  The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. More than two hours of great entertainment! And we have been lucky because it was the only evening without rain this week! I can't resist to share with you a piece of music:
And now have a look what I put together for me, you and everone who finds the way to Edi's Book Lighthouse.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB
  1. Reading progress
  2. ANNOUNCEMENT
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copies
  2. Downloaded for free
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Body Modification
  2. Free Book on July 16th and 17th 2012
  3. When a tag leads to misunderstanding 
  4. A town within a book

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Robot & Frank
  2. Oz The Great and Powerful

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Talk

The Lighthouse


Reading goes well. By end of today it will be 720 pages I read this week. which means I finished four books and a short story.

I finished
- The Mammoth Book of Steampunk (April 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1849017367] edited by Sean Wallace.
I liked 15 of the 30 stories which is something to expect with stories from 30 different authors.

- The Tunnel (2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008I6WLTQ] by Michael K. Rose
A short story which will make you think about your surrounding.

I'm
- 208 pages in The Jackal of Nar [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by John Marco.
I read 127 pages. But I must admit that so far it is not really what I expected. I need to read some more pages until I finally decide whether I continue reading or not.

- 134 pages in Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
The book delivers what I secretly expected. A tough story with several layers, excellent ideas and a crisp writing.

- 149 pages in Company of Liars  [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B002RI9R98] by Karen Maitland.
England at the time of the Plague (1348) comes alive. Hefty, dark and partially violent. I like it.

- 71 pages in The Brotherhood of Piaxia (digital, March 2012)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007KPS442] by Michael Drakich.
Fantasy with a cautious start.


ANNOUNCEMENT

Next week there will be three posts from Tuesday to Thursday.
They are all related to
  
Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126] by Geoffrey Williams.

There will be a review, an interview and a giveaway!
So don't forget to come back.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received several digital review copies, which I will read and review sooner or later. For some of them I fixed dates with the authors.

Let me start with a book where is a story behind which you can read in the  Blogosphere section of this post.
Not Long Ago (digital, June 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B008E5Y4M8] by Susan A. Royal.
"While doing research for a novel set in the Middle Ages, Erin and her employer, March, are transported to a time where chivalry and religion exist alongside brutality and superstition. Things are not quite right at the castle, and Erin and March feel sure mysterious Lady Isobeil is involved. Erin must cope with crop circles, ghosts, a kidnapping and death before the truth of her journey is revealed.
Forced to pose as March’s nephew, Erin finds employment as handsome Sir Griffin’s squire. She’s immediately attracted to him and grows to admire his courage, quiet nobility and devotion to duty. Yet, she must deny her feelings. Her world is centuries away, and she wants to go home. Despite that, Erin can’t stop thinking about her knight in shining armour." [Source]
And this is the book trailer


 bought two real paperback and two digital copies.


Author Michael Evans asked me if I would like to read The Boar King (The Battle Lord, Chapter 1) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008DC4R7Y].
"The Battle Lord is a fantasy epic story that takes you through a world of battles, magic and treacherous plots. Even the mightiest kingdoms must fall, and the Royal city of Demos is no exception. The aftermath, what becomes of the victims is not quite as certain. Barbarians, known as the Boars of Idas, a country only known for its brutality, overthrows the royal family of Demos in an ambush. The King and Queen are publically beheaded, leaving three of their four royal children to be enslaved under the Boar’s regime. The fourth child, Second Prince of Demos Liam bar Jayson, however, has a particular destiny laid out for him, one that not even his parents knew of but had been whispered since the dawn of time in the winds, for anyone that could hear it. And Urd of Idas, the leader of the Boars, heard everything. To Liam, being anointed the head of Urd’s army is the chance of a lifetime to seek vengeance for the beheading of his parents; but in this world of magic, mystery and schemes, nothing is certain except, at the end: Only One Can Win!
*** The Boar King - The Battle Lord, Chapter 1 ***
The Boar King Urd of Idas sacked the Royal City of Demos and massacred those who stood against the mightly Idas army. A fierce combat ensues between the Boar King and King Jayson... With the city's beloved King and Queen beheaded publicly, the royal children went into slavery except for Liam, the second prince who was spared. What lies ahead of their wretched lives? Is there hope or endless condemnation under the rule of the Boar King?" [Source

This first chapter consist of 34 pages. It will be interesting to see what the author will deliver within these pages. I will read and review it soon.

I received a review request by author Todd Maternowski.
In October you can expect two reviews and and interview.
EXMORTUS: Towers of Dawn (2011) [Amazon Kindle ASIN:  B005G4QEX2].
"A group of battle-weary knights from the ancient monastic fortress of Exmortus Abbey have unearthed something... unholy.
A new star hangs low in the horizon, directly over the hellhole where half the Abbey's knights lost their lives, a star that some of the men claim is following them...
And back at Exmortus, Ash Xavier, an impatient young knight-in-training, is beginning to unearth ages-old secrets beneath the Abbey's vaults, oblivious to the horrors hurtling at him through space...
EXMORTUS, BOOK I: TOWERS OF DAWN is a work of dark fantasy in the mold of George R.R. Martin or Gene Wolfe, in which every standard fantasy cliche is skewered and boiled alive, and where the heroes and villains are not what they seem." [Source]

EXMORTUS: Temples Diabolic (2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN:  B008GN35H8].
"Abandoned by his family, his friends and his god, Ash Xavier finds himself utterly alone in a hostile world. Holding a mysterious key that may unlock the gates of Hell itself, Ash must choose whether to do the honorable thing and sacrifice his life for humanity's survival —or to embark on a mad quest for the woman he loves, a mysterious beauty that may be entirely a product of his imagination.
Meanwhile, a nightmarish terror from Ash's young childhood has resurfaced in the Abbey with plans to take his life..." [Source]

For more information about the world of visit the official site.


Due to a hint I downloaded following book for free. 
Shades of Gray (2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B006FZLBF2] by Andy Holloman
"How far would you go to save your child's life?
Could you break the law?
What if your travel business was suddenly in danger of going under because of 9/11?
A single father decides to partner up with woman from the opposite side of the tracks. Can their partnership deliver the cash they BOTH desperately need?
Could they fall in love?
And will they survive to see the Summer of 2002?" [Source]



I downloaded this story for free from Amazonde. I don't know how long it will be for free. So checkout Amazon in your country.
The Tunnel (2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008I6WLTQ] by Michael K. Rose
"Around the world are countless neglected and forgotten places. These are places that have lost their original purpose. Castles become obsolete with the introduction of gunpowder, temples to mighty gods fall into disuse when the people adopt another faith. When this happens, they must find a new purpose. And if you feel a beckoning in one of these forgotten places, if you feel one of them drawing you ever inward, proceed with caution. What you find inside may not be to your liking." [Source]
With 11 pages it is indeed a short story and as mentioned above, I read it a few days ago.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

When I look around while walking to through the town, it seems (for me) that body modification gets more and more popular. But so far I have not seen someone looking like the people you can see over at WebUrbanist. Go and have a look at

As I appreciate  Rosalie Skinner's The Chronicles of Caleath series, I need to inform you that you can get the first book in the series
Exiled:Autumn's Peril (eBook, September 2011) (read my review)
FOR FREE ON JULY 16TH AND 17TH 2012 !!!

And this is the official announcement:

CHRISTMAS in JULY ...FREE OFFER...

FREE OFFER  16th 17th JULY


LAST CHANCE


to get your copy of this Best Selling ebook.
EXILED: Autumn's Peril.
Mark your calendars... don't miss out.
Tell your friends.

If you don't have a Kindle, Amazon has free apps to allow reading on ipad, tablet, iphone, pc... etc.

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive. This is the final free offer this year. Please share this Christmas in July special with your friends.

Keep an eye out for the release date of INVADED: The DARKEST DAY... 
coming soon.


THANKS. 




Rosalie,
it is a pleasure for me to share this information with my readers.

And the next part of this post is directly related to Rosalie Skinner.

It has been who contacted author Susan A. Royal and told her that maybe her debut novel Not Long Ago (digital, June 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B008E5Y4M8] could be of a book for me. Susan sent me a kind mail where she offered me a digital copy of  Not Long Ago. I read the blurb with interest. So far so good. Then I read the book tags: Time Travel (I like time travel) and .... Romance. I belong to the group of people who do not like to read romance.
Normally I would have refused to get a copy. But in this case I decided to go another way. Rosalie Skinner knows my taste and therefore there must have been a reason why she thought that Not Long Ago would be a book for me. I sent a mail to Susan A. Royal and asked her about how much romance is in Not Long Ago. In reply she sent me an excerpt and told me that I have not been the first one questioning about the romance in Not Long Ago. She also told me that her publisher chose the tags. But she does not want to complain about the publisher because she did not intervene. I read the excerpt which sounded good to me. I replied with a more detailed description how much romance is acceptable for me and that I liked the excerpt. Susan A. Royal confirmed that Not Long Ago do not cross my romance level. And today I received a digital copy of Not Long Ago.
I write about this behind the blog event because I wanted to show you how misleading book tags can be.
My conclusion: In future I will not trust book tags without to scrutinize them.


The child in me is immortal and is one of the resons why I like books like this one:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Robots - when will they be part of our daily life and what will be the impact? In near future (USA, August; Germany, October) Robot & Frank will give one possible answer.
"Set in the near future, an ex-jewel thief receives a gift from his son: a robot butler programmed to look after him. But soon the two companions try their luck as a heist team" [Source]
For me it seems the trailer gives away too much of the movie. Nevertheless I want to see the film. 


Disney is still good for a suprise. In 1939 - that means 73 years ago - MGM surprised the world with The Wizard of Oz. And in March 2013 Disney invite us to another visit of the land of Oz with Oz The Great and Powerful
"When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, a spectacular world filled with colourful characters, and dream-like settings, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot — fame and fortune are his for the taking. That is until he meets three beautiful and mysterious witches; Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity—and even a bit of wizardry—Oscar transforms himself not only into Oz the Great and Powerful wizard, but into a better man as well." [Source]


I must say I would like to see the movie.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

From my experience men try to avoid to ask where are things in a supermarket. Instead they spend a lot of time for searching. And to be honest ediFanoB is one of these guys. I think a found an appropriate quote for him and other men ....


"It never hurts to ask. Unless you ask for hurt.
Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005

4 comments:

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Congrats on diet and gym regime. Wish I could be as positive.
I look forward to the mid week posts... What a pleasant surprise.
Now I hope you like Not Long Ago.. hehe I feel responsible if you don't. LOL. From what I have read so far, I think it will stand up under scrutiny!! I am loving it so far. Despite being listed as YA it has a lot to offer.
Thanks for reposting my offer of a free ebook to your readers. I hope they enjoy this last chance to read Autumn's Peril for free. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The popup book was cool.
Excited for Oz. Raimi is quite the visionary, so should be beautiful to behold.
Stick with the diet and exercise! It is worth it. My wife and I do NOT look our age because we are both thin and in shape - so trust me, it's worth the effort!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

when I decide to do something I do it all or nothing.
The result of six weeks diet and gym is a loss of 6 KG = 13.2277 lb
And I really feel better.

Sometimes I need to break out of the one post per week rhythm. It is always a question of time.

I will read Not Long Ago and write a honest review whic means I will explain what I liked/disliked and why.

H hope more people will discover Autumn's Peril and more ....

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

I can tell you it is so easy to gain weight and you need triple effort to lose the weight and the older one gets the more effort is necessary.

Good to read that you and your wife are thin and in good shape.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...