Saturday, July 07, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1227

Hello and welcome to issue #1227 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
It seems diet and gym has apositive impact on me. It helps to cope with the humid weather and I read more. Now a couple of free days .... I have to wait until September. Anyway I hope to be a bit more productive blog wise. Need to hurry up because I want to finish a book tonight.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copies
  2. Paperback copy
  3. Digital copies
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. How to do a blog tour
  2. Special giveaway

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Brave

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Talk

The Lighthouse


Reading goes well. By end of today it will be 720 pages I read this week. which means I finished four books and a short story.

I finished

- Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126] by Geoffrey Williams
Expect my full review in calendar week 29.

- Rose of Fire (June 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008B7VCBK] by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

I wrote on GOODREADS:

" With in sum eight pages this is defintely a short story.
It was incredible to read what Carlos Ruiz Zafon put into this eight pages.

This is a must read for all CEMETARY OF FORGOTTEN BOOKS fans and a good opportunity for new readers."

- The Lighthouse Keeper (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1907777622] by Alan K. Baker
Await my review soon


I'm


- 239 pages in The Mammoth Book of Steampunk (April 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1849017367] edited by Sean Wallace.
That means I read 15 of the 30 stories.


- 79 pages in The Jackal of Nar [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by John Marco.
No progress



On July 5th I posted my ambitious summer reading list 2012. I will try to review as many books as possible. I think the list reflects what I like to read.

What about you? Do you have a summer reading list?



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received two digital review copies, bought two real paperback and two digital copies.



- The Brotherhood of Piaxia (digital, March 2012)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007KPS442] by Michael Drakich.
"Years have passed since the overthrow of the monarchy by the Brotherhood of Warlocks and they rule Piaxia in peaceful accord. But now forces are at work to disrupt this rule from outside the Brotherhood as well as within! Follow Tarlok, Savan and Tessia as their paths intertwine, with the Brotherhood in pursuit and the powerful merchant’s guild manipulating the populace for their own end." [Source]

To whatever reason I missed the author's review request a few months ago. The digital copy which I got for free stands for 311 pages.


- King's Champion (pb, 1st of August 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1936850099]  by Cas Peace
"After surviving brutal torture and escaping from Lord Rykan’s dungeons, Major Sullyan is trapped in Andaryon, too injured to cross the Veils. Slowly dying and determined to find some purpose in the shattered remains of her life, she travels to the Andaryan capitol to offer the Hierarch her sword and Artesan gifts in the fight against Rykan and his vast army. Because women hold no power in Andaryon, Sullyan is met with prejudice, hostility, and suspicion.
Before she can seek vengeance on the field of battle, she must prove herself to the Hierarch’s generals. Finding support from the unlikeliest sources, Sullyan sets a plan into motion to defeat Lord Rykan and end his bid for the throne. The fate of two realms depends on her success, but her strength is fading fast and time is running out." [Source]

This is the second book in the Artesans of Albia trilogy. I reviewed King's Envoy (pb, July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1936850136] and promised that I will read and review the rest of the series.



Rasputin's Bastards (pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-1926851594] by David Nickle
"They were the beautiful dreamers.
From a hidden city deep in the Ural mountains, they walked the world as the coldest of Cold Warriors, under the command of the Kremlin and under the power of their own expansive minds. They slipped into the minds of Russia's enemies with diabolical ease, and drove their human puppets to murder, and worse. They moved as Gods. And as Gods, they might have remade the world. But like the mad holy man Rasputin, who destroyed Russia through his own powerful influence... in the end, the psychic spies for the Motherland were only in it for themselves.
 * * *
It is the 1990s. The Cold War is long finished. In a remote Labrador fishing village, an old woman known only as Babushka foresees her ending through the harbour ice, in the giant eye of a dying kraken – and vows to have none of it. Beaten insensible and cast adrift in a life raft, ex- KGB agent Alexei Kilodovich is dragged to the deck of a ship full of criminals, and with them he will embark on a journey that will change everything he knows about himself. And from a suite in an unseen hotel in the heart of Manhattan, an old warrior named Kolyokov sets out with an open heart, to gather together the youngest members of his immense, and immensely talented, family. They are more beautiful, and more terrible, than any who came before them. They are Rasputin's bastards. And they will remake the world." [Source]


Sharps (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1841499250] by K J Parker

"K.J. Parker's new novel is a perfectly executed tale of intrigue and deception.
For the first time in nearly forty years, an uneasy truce has been called between two neighbouring kingdoms. The war has been long and brutal, fought over the usual things: resources, land, money...
Now, there is a chance for peace. Diplomatic talks have begun and with them, the games. Two teams of fencers represent their nations at this pivotal moment.
When the future of the world lies balanced on the point of a rapier, one misstep could mean ruin for all. Human nature being what it is, does peace really have a chance?" [Source]
Several blogs I follow came up with postive reviews. Despite these reviews I want to read this book because K J Parker is an excellent author.


The Book of Transformations (e-book, July 2012) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B0079XQAYG] by Mark Charan Newton.
"A new and corrupt Emperor seeks to rebuild the ancient structures of Villjamur to give the people of the city hope in the face of great upheaval and an oppressing ice age. But when a stranger called Shalev arrives, empowering a militant underground movement, crime and terror becomes rampant. The Inquisition is always one step behind, and military resources are spread thinly across the Empire. So Emperor Urtica calls upon cultists to help construct a group to eliminate those involved with the uprising, and calm the populace. But there's more to The Villjamur Knights than just phenomenal skills and abilities - each have a secret that, if exposed, could destroy everything they represent. Investigator Fulcrom of the Villjamur Inquisition is given the unenviable task of managing the Knights', but his own skills are tested when a mysterious priest, who has travelled from beyond the fringes of the Empire, seeks his help. The priest's existence threatens the church, and his quest promises to unweave the fabric of the world. And in a distant corner of the Empire, the enigmatic cultist Dartun Sur steps back into this world, having witnessed horrors beyond his imagination. Broken, altered, he and the remnants of his cultist order are heading back to Villjamur. And all eyes turn to the Sanctuary City, for Villjamur's ancient legends are about to be shattered ..." [Source]

I must admit that I'm behind with reading of the excellent Legends of the Red Sun series. The Book of Transformations stands for 382 pages and is the third book in the series and with The Broken Isles the fourth book is ahead and I will buy a copy soon.


Shieldwall (e-book, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B004ZKVFF0] by Justin Hill
"The year is 1016 and England burns while the Viking armies blockade the great city of London. King Ethelred lies dying and the England he knew dies with him; the warring kingdoms of Mercia, Wessex and Northymbria tremble on the brink of great change. One man lives to bear witness to the upheaval: Godwin, barely out of boyhood and destined to become one of his country’s great warriors.
When Ethelred’s son Edmund takes the throne, determined to succeed where his father failed, he plucks Godwin from domestic peace to be right-hand man in his loyal shield wall. Godwin must traverse the meadows, wintry forests and fogbound marshes of Saxon England, raising armies of monks, ploughmen and shepherds against the Viking invader. With epic courage and ferocity, Godwin and Edmund repel the butchering Danes in three great battles. But an old enemy, the treacherous Earl Eadric, dogs Godwin’s footsteps, and as the final battle approaches, around the valiant English the trap begins to close." [Source]
This is the first book in the Conquest trilogy.Since I read Hereward (pb, 2012, UK) [ISBN-13: 978-0857662149] by James Wilde I want to know more about this period of time.



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you follow blog tours? I follow blog tours when I'm part of such a tour. Do you know how much it is to organize one?
If you want to know more about blog tours from author point of view I recommend to read following post by author Alex J. Cavanaugh:
Guest post: Alex Cavanaugh tells you how to do a blog tour


You like to win books? You like steampunk and fantasy? Then you should visit author Joseph Robert Louis and have a look at
Massive Book Giveaway Contest Event! Over 180 prizes!



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

A female redheaded archer ... That sounds like something for me. On August 2nd Brave will hit the cinemas in Germany.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think most o us can share this experience ....

"When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
Gracie Allen, US actress (1906 - 1964)

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for mentioning my post on blog tours! Helps to have awesome hosts as well you know.

Michael said...

Alex,

informative posts shoud be shared.

Indeed I know the a good blog tour needs the right hosts.

I will be available for the CassaStorm tour.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...