Saturday, June 30, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1226

Hello and welcome to issue #1226 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
The weather is hot and humid which I do not like because it makes me tired and angry at the same time. No good conditions for doing somethig creative. So do not expect too much from this Weekend Wave issue ....

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
  2. Work in progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copy
  2. Paperback copy
  3. Digital copy
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Alive and well
  2. Topographic Tomes 
  3. Free book on June 30th 2012

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something practical

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Age

The Lighthouse


Reading goes well. I read 678 pages which means I finished four books and a short story.

I finished

- Red Leaves and the Living Token (digital,pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-0615618524; AMAZON KINDLE ASIN: B007KFGS36] by Benjamin David Burrell

I wrote on GOODREADS:

"For me it is a kind of a refreshing dark fantasy tale which is well executed. This is the first of six planned books.
The end of the novel is like a rest on a long journey and I must say I lookforward to continue the journey."
- The Scourge of the Betrayer (digital, May 2012)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0087D3H34] by Jeff Salyard.

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"After reading several glowing reviews I expected a lot.

I'm not sure if I read the right reviews or the wrong book or vice versa.
I admit the idea of story is good.
But I could not cope with the execution. I do not like stories without chapters - an endless stream of words.

I think this time I have been the wrong person to read and like this book."


- Der Eisplanet (February 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007C711JS] by Torsten Ralf Oster
The blurb sounded interesting but the book has been disappointing. Der Eisplanet = The Ice Planet. Ice, ice world, ice names, ice characters ....


- Action Jack und die Steintafel der 6 Artefakte - Band 1 (Die Kristallkugel von Naica) (2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007NLSIVM] by Joachim H. Schwartz
To keep it short: This is a lightweight copy of Indiana Jones. Fast food read.


- Demon River (January 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B004A8ZSXW] by Mark Lord

I wrote on GOODREADS:
" Intense Short story which delivers everything mentioned in the description."

As my comment does not makes without the description, I add the description.
"Set in a fantasy world of dark magic, Demon River is a short tale of politics, false religion, demons and treachery.

Benetus, the King's chancellor, fears the return of a rival he had thought banished from court. Benetus turns to the help of demons to rid himself of his enemy. But things are not always as they seem in the spirit world." [Source]


I'm


- 114 pages in The Mammoth Book of Steampunk (April 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1849017367] edited by Sean Wallace.
No progress


- 79 pages in The Jackal of Nar [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by John Marco.
No progress


- 126 pages in Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126] by Geoffrey Williams.
This is alternate history I like.


Despite the weather I try work on what I want to do the next three months.I'm still not satisfied with the numbers of reviews.

July
I will definitely post a review and an interview which belong together (I need to read and write the review and the interview is in progress)

Depending on a reply I will have a second interview combined with something special.

I work on a half year report and my summer reading list for July, August and September. Tomorrow is the 1rst of July. So I have to hurry up with the reading list.

Beside that I have the strong will to write three more reviews.


August
I will be part of a blog tour with a book review (the good thing is that I have finished reading).

Beside that I want to write and post three more reviews.

September
When everything goes well I will finish two books which I put on hold.

And I want to write and post four reviews.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received a paperback review copy, bought one real paperback and bought a digital copy of a short story.


On GOODREADS I have a Malazan Empire shelf. This reflects one of my big reading projects. So far I have read nothing more than The Gardens of the Moon (2009, 10th anniversary edition) [ISBN-13: 978-0593065068] by Steven Erikson the author of the ten book series The Malazan Book of the Fallen. Ian C. Esslemont who is the co-creator of the Malazan world is still writing books set in this world.
To my great pleasure the great people over at Tor/Forge for sent me a copy of Orb Sceptre Throne (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765329999]. Thank you very much for that. Now my contains 14 books and 13 of them unread.
"The epic new chapter in the history of Malaz—the new epic fantasy from Steven Erikson's friend and co-creator of this extraordinary and exciting imagined world. Darujhistan, city of dreams, city of blue flames, is peaceful at last; its citizens free to return to politicking, bickering, trading and, above all, enjoying the good things in life. Yet there are those who will not allow the past to remain buried. A scholar digging in the plains stumbles across an ancient sealed vault. The merchant Humble Measure schemes to drive out the remaining Malazan invaders. And the surviving agents of a long-lost power are stirring, for they sense change and so, opportunity. While, as ever at the centre of everything, a thief in a red waistcoat and of rotund proportions walks the streets, juggling in one hand custard pastries, and in the other the fate of the city itself.
Far to the south, fragments of the titanic Moon's Spawn have crashed into the Rivan Sea creating a series of isles...and a fortune hunter's dream. A Malazan veteran calling himself 'Red' ventures out to try his luck—and perhaps say goodbye to old friends. But there he finds far more than he'd bargained for as the rush to claim the Spawn's treasures descends into a mad scramble of chaos and bloodshed. For powers from across the world have gathered here, searching for the legendary Throne of Night. The impact of these events are far reaching, it seems. On an unremarkable island off the coast of Genabackis, a people who had turned their backs upon all such strivings now lift their masked faces towards the mainland and recall the ancient prophesy of a return.
 And what about the ex-Claw of the Malazan Empire who now walks the uttermost edge of creation? His mission—the success or failure of which the Queen of Dreams saw long ago—is destined to shape far more than anyone could have ever imagined." [Source]

In July 2011 I read following post over at Layers of Thought:
Review: The Map of Time ~ by Felix J. Palma
As I do not buy hardcover I put the book on my list. And today arrived my The Map of Time (pb, July 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1451683035]
paperback copy.


"Set in Victorian London with characters real and imagined, The Map of Time boasts a triple play of intertwined plots in which a skeptical H.G. Wells is called upon to investigate purported incidents of time travel and to save lives and literary classics, including Dracula and The Time Machine, from being wiped from existence.
What happens if we change history? The author explores this question in the novel, weaving an historical fantasy as imaginative as it is exciting—a story full of love and adventure that transports readers to a haunting setting in Victorian London for their own taste of time travel." [Source]


Be sure that Felix J. Palma's first book in his Map of Time series will be part of my summer reading list. Book two - The Map of the Sky will be published in September 2012 (hardcover). That means I have to wait until 2013 for the paperback. 


In October 2008 I read one of the best books in my life: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. And this week I found following post
"Rose of Fire", a short story by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

over at Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews.
I could not resist to by a digital copy of Rose of Fire (June 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B008B7VCBK].

"Set at the time of the Spanish Inquisition in the fifteenth century, “Rose of Fire” tells the story of the origins of the mysterious labyrinthine library, the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, which lies at the heart of Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s novels The Shadow of the Wind, The Angel’s Game, and now The Prisoner of Heaven." [Source]
Mihai (Dark Wolf) wrote in his post that you can read the story for free. That is true. But I want to read it offline and therefore I bought a digital copy which is cheap.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

There is this phenomenal detective. You know the one you can see in cinemas and on TV but never in real life. He is known since 1887 and seems to be immortal. You want to know more? Then read
4 Capital Clues That Prove Sherlock Holmes Is Alive and Well 
over at bookgasm.



Did try to carve books? What a question! No book lover damage books. But there are artists who know what to do with books after reading as you can see over at the WebUrbanist. Enjoy
Topographic Tomes: More Carved Books by Guy Laramee



As I appreciate  Rosalie Skinner's The Chronicles of Caleath series, I need to inform you that you can get the first book in the series
Exiled:Autumn's Peril (eBook, September 2011) (read my review)
FOR FREE ON JUNE 30TH 2012 !!!

And this is the official announcement:

FREE EBOOK... Amazon Best seller. One day only.

EXILED: Autumn's Peril
Book One is being offered FREE 
for ONE DAY on 30th JUNE as an 
END OF FINANCIAL YEAR celebration.

Grab your copy today. Please tell your friends.

Keep posted on the upcoming release of Book FIVE by  following this blog or The Chronicles of Caleath


So hurry up to get your digital copy.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today you get no movie trailer because I did not find one I would like to share with you. Instead I show you something useful .... in case you are a fan of steampunk. But it may be also interesting for other people.
Have a look at how to build a steampunk mechanical arm.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There is something which a lot of people want but never will be ....

"You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there.
George Burns, US actor & comedian (1896 - 1996)

4 comments:

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Thanks for spreading word about the FREE day for EXILED: Autumn's Peril. I hope your readers had the chance to grab their copy.
If they missed out, it will be available still at almost half price for a time... and there will be another chance to grab a copy free in the near future. ;)
I hope to soon be able to announce a release date for BOOK FIVE, INVADED: The Darkest Day.
Finally. :) Still.. I have been told it's worth waiting for. So.. news on release day when time comes closer.
Hope you survive the heat and humidity. :)

Shellie Nunn said...

Thank you for the link and mention Edi! Hopefully we will get a copy of the second in the series from the publisher????

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
to spread was at least what I could do for you.

Whenever I can do such kind of things for you please let me know.

I look forward to book five.

Fortunately the weather changed last night (from Saturday to Sunday) and will remain until Monday night.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Shellie,

it has been Joh's review which convinced me to buy a copy of the book. And therefore your blog deserved to be mentioned.
Fingers crossed for the copy of MAP OF TIME.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...