Saturday, June 23, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1225

Hello and welcome to issue #1225 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
My wife and I are still on diet and every session at the gym is getting better. The time I am galled turned to a normal level.
Tomorrow (Sunday) my wife and I will visit a medieval fair. And to be honest despite my diet I will enjoy at least one cherry beer.
Following teaser gives you an impression.

And now

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Review copies
  2. New digital copies
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Paper
  2. Books
  3. Cover Art

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Dark Knight Rises

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Originality

The Lighthouse


Another week with an excellent reading result. I read respectable 652 pages and finished three books. And again I read books in German. The reason for that is our Sony Reader. There are many opportunities where you can download  digital copies for free. As a result digital books changed my reading habits a bit. But I still love real books.



I finished


- The Fall of Dorkhum [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B006CQV4JW] by D A Adams
This is the third book in the The Brotherhood of Dwarves series.

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"If you really want to enjoy the book you should definitely read the two previous books.

The main story continues with the return home of Roskin and the impact of his return. Beside that we follow the story of his compagnions and the history of one of them is revealed.
This book is the perfect prelude for forthcoming events in the world of the brotherhood of dwarves.
"

- Ripper - Ein Zeitreise-Thriller (German Edition) (February 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0079LQPNY] by
It is a so called time travel thriller revolving around the famous Jack the Ripper. A good idea but badly executed.


- Grimstein (March) [Amazon Kindle ASIN:B008CCJJBE] by
Short but creepy story with supernatural touch.



I'm


- 114 pages in The Mammoth Book of Steampunk (April 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1849017367] edited by Sean Wallace.
No progress


- 146 pages in The Scourge of the Betrayer (digital, May 2012)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0087D3H34] by Jeff Salyard.
Nearly halfway through the book. It is not exactly what I expected after reading some reviews. But it i good

- 79 pages in The Jackal of Nar [ISBN-13: 978-0553578874] by John Marco.
Only a minor progress

- 101 pages in Red Leaves and the Living Token (digital,pb, 2012) [ISBN13: 978-0615618524; AMAZON KINDLE ASIN: B007KFGS36] by Benjamin David Burrell
That means I'm half way through a well written dark tale.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received two paperback review copies directly from authors. Beside that I downloaded a digital copy for free and bought one.


In Weekend Wave #1223 I talked about The Lighthouse Keeper (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1907777622] by Alan K. Baker.
"A TERRIFYING MYSTERY OF THE SEA

In December 1900, three lighthouse keepers vanished without trace from the remote Scottish island of Eilean Mòr. An emergency relief crew was sent to man the lighthouse. At the end of their month-long duty, they resigned from their posts, and never spoke of what they had experienced on the island. The mystery of Eilean Mòr has never been solved. Until now.
In the present, a group of environmental researchers arrives on the island to observe the wildlife. While exploring the lighthouse, now automated and deserted, one of the team discovers a manuscript written by one of the relief keepers, a man named Alec Dalemore. As a sudden storm moves in, cutting off their escape, the researchers come to realise that Dalemore wrote the manuscript as a warning to all the lighthouse keepers who would come after him. A warning of something on Eilean Mòr and in the surrounding ocean - something ancient and powerful, and strange beyond imagining...
The Lighthouse Keeper is a supernatural tale based on the Flannan Isles mystery, one of the greatest unsolved enigmas in maritime history. Blending factual firsthand reports with speculative fiction, the novel takes the reader on a journey to the edge of reality, where the greatest of human fears - the fear of the unknown - holds dominion." [Source]
And this week I received my review copy. Thanks to Alan K. Baker. There will be a review within July.


It is no secret that I like historical fiction. Beginning of June I received a mail from author Geoffrey Williams. He asked me if I would like
- to read his book
- to review his book
- to conduct an interview

After having a look at the cover and reading the summary, I have been convinced to say yes. And this week I received a signed paperback review copy of Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126]. Thanks a lot Geoffrey Williams.
"It is 1852. The Indian empire of Rajthana has ruled Europe for more than a hundred years. With their vast armies, steam-and-sorcery technology and mastery of the mysterious power of sattva, the Rajthanans appear invincible. But a bloody rebellion has broken out in a remote corner of the empire, in a poor and backward region known as England.
At first Jack Casey, retired soldier, wants nothing to do with the uprising, but then he learns his daughter, Elizabeth, is due to be hanged for helping the rebels. The Rajthanans will spare her, but only if Jack hunts down and captures his best friend and former army comrade, who is now a rebel leader. Jack is torn between saving his daughter and protecting his friend. And he struggles just to stay alive as the rebellion pushes England into all-out war." [Source]
Doesn't it sound interesting? India rules Europe! The good thing is. that there will be at least three copies.


I also received a request for reviewing the following book:
Orb (digital, November 2011)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B006H4TEOG] by
Gary Tarulli.
"Three months outbound from Earth and the starship Desio approaches its planetary destination, her crew eager to commence a mission of scientific discovery. Kyle Lorenzo, however, has a personal reason for being on board--an inner conflict that will ultimately propel him to explore not only of the furthest reaches of an enigmatic ocean world but the nebulous recesses of his inner psyche.
It is during the long and isolating interstellar journey that a physical relationship develops between Kyle and the ship's physician, Kelly Takara. That part is easy. Understanding the reasons for avoiding the emotional commitment desired by Kelly is harder. So, too, is trying to penetrate the mind of Larry Melhaus, the mission's brilliant and reclusive physicist--a failure of communication made exponentially more troublesome when the scientist's disturbing behavior begins to threaten the crew.
And while Kyle seeks a path to comprehending himself and Melhaus, the ship's crew, led by their strong-willed commander, Bruce Thompson, attempt to fathom a planet where none of the precepts of science seem to apply. A world where every preconceived notion of what constitutes life must be re-examined and challenged.
Two divergent journeys: One inward, one outward. Strange if they culminate at the same destination..." [Source]


As I do not know in advance how much time I can spend for my blog, I do not promise more than one review per month (partial I make exceptions and promise two). So I replied that I can't read and review the book before October.


The last book for today I discovered on Facebook:
Oblivion's Forge (digital, 2011 or 2012?)[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0082XW04G] by Simon Williams
Wen you go to GOODRADS you do not find any book description. Fortunately I found one over at the site for the book(s).
"Picture a distant world, probably in the distant future, where most technology is no longer even a memory. A world which for a number of reasons is like no other. A world where two great powers will struggle for control. One of them has crossed great swathes of the known Existence to find this world, the other has controlled, nurtured and dominated it in one form or another since the dawn of known time.
Thus two opposing, universal forces are preparing to destroy each other. One is an implacable, faceless destroyer of worlds- the other is the ancient master of all the races that live on that world.
Both are, in the simple terms of the Younger Races, evil beyond comprehension.
And caught in the midst of all this are the races of this world, human and non-human.
The story of Aona is not a fable of good versus evil. It’s a tale of incomprehensible forces, survival, companionship, betrayal, and above all else, the gradual realisation amongst the main characters that this war is not simply a struggle for one world, but something far, far greater." Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere
Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

You know how to fold paper? Are you sure? If yes you can try to compete the artists of the reasults shown over at the WebUrbanist. Go and have a look at;
Ghostly Paper Mansions and Spectral Stop-Motion Animations


Of course I have favorite authors. When it comes to historical fiction you will find A L Berridge at the top level of my list. She is also a lover of real books. I higly recommend to read her post
'History in my Hand: The Beauty of Books' by A.L. Berridge
over at The History Girls.
nce  a while I talk about blogs I follow.


Space art from a time before my birth? How does it look like? Colorful.
Visit Dark Roasted Blend and let
Rare and Wonderful 1950s Space Art
put a spell on you ...


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

This is not the first trailer of The Dark Knight Rises I show you. I really look forward to see the third and final movie in Christopher Nolan's trilogy. In Germany we have to wait until July 26th when The Dark Knight Rises will hit the cinemas.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There is something which a lot of people want but never will be ....

"Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
Laurence J. Peter, US educator & writer (1919 - 1988)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Really excited for the final Batman. Nolan is a genius.
Now off to look at old space art.
Hope you enjoyed a cherry beer today. Otherwise, stick with it, man!

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
my wife and I have had a great day. And I got my cherry beer - cool and tasty as expected.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Hope you enjoyed the mediaeval faire. Didn't look like a whole lot of fun for some. Those feathers must have been uncomfortable.

Great post again. I started to read Oblivions Forge but haven't settled into it yet. Might wait for your review. :)

Good luck with the diet and gym. I am trying again. Day two. Wish me luck. :) No gym.. but no sugar... If I can manage that for another day.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

yes we enjoyed the medieval fair. The feathers have been used the day before. So I can't tell you about it.

I need to read two books before I come to Oblivion's Forge.

Diet and gym go well. Fingers crossed for your sugar free days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...