Saturday, June 02, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1222


Hello and welcome to issue #1222 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Now we reached June and I'm far behind my reading and reviewing goals. Reasons for that? Of course! I need to learn how to read and write with closed eyes. Do you know how to do that? Anyway I still enjoy to buy books. And sometimes you do something go when you buy a book ...


ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Announcement
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Books received, bought and ordered
  2. Maybe a book for you

Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Do something good
  2. The Spirit of Fire blog tour
  3. Cushions, Pillows, .....

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Dishonored

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms lazy?

The Lighthouse


I changed my reading habit a bit. I divided my reading time in two parts. Now I read early in the morning before I go to work and beween 8 and 9 in the evening before I fall asleep on the sofa or in front of my laptop. I ust say the result is satisfying. Last week I read in sum 563 pages. I finished two digital episodes of seriel in 12 parts and also one book.



I finished

- Hereward (pb, 2012, UK) [ISBN-13: 978-0857662149] by James Wilde
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"That was tough historical fiction with twists and turns, tons of emotions and blood and sweat and action.

I look forward to read THE DEVIL'S ARMY"


- Survivor 1.01 (DEU): Blackout. SF-Thriller (digital, 2012, DE) [Kindle ASIN: B007QG6KAA] ] by Peter Anderson
Unbelievable but true I read something in German. This is the first episode of a digital serial in twelve parts.



- Survivor 1.02 (DEU): Chinks!. SF-Thriller (digital, 2012, DE) [Kindle ASIN: B007QG6KGE] ] by Peter Anderson
This is the second episode of a digital serial in twelve parts.

I do not want to go into details but I must say I have been disappointed and I will not read the remaining ten episodes.


I'm

- 147 pages in The Way of the Black Beast (pb and digital,2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1466321847, Kindle ASIN: B005NRXT6W] by Stuart Jaffe
There is an interesting magic concept in the first book in the post-apocalyptic fantasy series The Malja Chronicles.

- 174 pages in Die Fahrt des LEVIATHAN (2012) [Kindle edition, ASIN: B007RNJMO8] by Oliver Henkel
Again a book in German! I must say I like this alternate reality novel.
I posted about it in Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1215.

- 47 pages in The Mammoth Book of Steampunk (April 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1849017367] edited by Sean Wallace.
So far I read three stories.

-  150 pages in The Devil's Nebula (digital, 2012)[Kindle edition, ASIN: B0086W4T0G] by Eric Brown which is the first book in Weird Space, a shared world created by the author.
This is my second Eric Brown novel after Necropath. I like the story, the characters and the writing of this new space opera. I bought the digital copy only a few days ago.




ANNOUNCEMENT
It is no secret that I have a special relationship to Stephen Zimmer. I like his Fires in Eden fantasy series a lot:
Book one
Crown of Vengeance (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0983108627] my review.
Book two
Dream of Legends (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0983108627] my review
Book three
Finally the third book has been released!
I bought immediately a digital copy of  Spirit of Fire (2012) [Kindle edition, ASIN: B0087P0EOW]

Next Tuesday and Wednesday (June 5th and 6th) you will get a great opportunity to enter the Fires in Eden fantasy series!!
I will post details on June 5th.
 
Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I limited myself. I received one paper copy and bought three digital copies. I told you about Spirit of Fire (2012) [Kindle edition, ASIN: B0087P0EOW] by Stephen Zimmer above.I will talk about Wheel-Mouse [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0087D3H34] later.


Fellow blogger Bryce posted  his (short story) Review - The Hundredth Kill by John Marco which convinced me to buy a digital copy of
The Hundredth Kill [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0087D3H34] by John Marco.
"Young Charlie Mason is on an adventure, crossing the sea on a clipper ship bound for his family home in England. As the only child aboard, Charlie is bored by the months-long journey, until he meets the mysterious Lady Kita and hears her tales of the warrior-ghosts known as the "nin-sha"."[Source]
Don't forget to visit The Happy Nerds which is John Marco's site where he discuss his works and hobbies.



Did you ever read a book by Lynn Flewelling? She is the author of two fantasy series:
Nightrunner - so far five books and a short story collection and Tamir Triad - a trilogy.
I own copies of all the books except the short story collection. In 2008 I read the first two books in the Nightrunner series.
During my holiday in May 2012 I wanted to read Traitor's Moon (pb, 1999) [ISBN-13: 978-0553577255] which is the third book in the Nightrunner series but I failed. Anyway the series is on my TBR.
The last week I recieved a strong reminder in form of a copy of Casket of Souls (pb, May 2012) [ISBN13: 978-0345522306].

"The Nightrunners are back in this gripping novel full of Lynn Flewelling’s trademark action, intrigue, and richly imagined characters.

More than the dissolute noblemen they appear to be, Alec and Seregil are skillful spies, dedicated to serving queen and country. But when they stumble across evidence of a plot pitting Queen Phoria against Princess Klia, the two Nightrunners will find their loyalties torn as never before. Even at the best of times, the royal court at Rhíminee is a serpents’ nest of intrigue, but with the war against Plenimar going badly, treason simmers just below the surface.

And that’s not all that poses a threat: A mysterious plague is spreading through the crowded streets of the city, striking young and old alike—a plague that may well be magical in nature. Now, as panic mounts and the body count rises, hidden secrets emerge. And as Seregil and Alec are about to learn, conspiracies and plagues have one thing in common: The cure can be as deadly as the disease." [Source]
With the end of the first half of 2012 coming nearer I should start to plan which books I would like to read until the end of 2012. That will be a terrible task ....



Last Weekend Wave I posted about historical fiction author Karen Maitland and her books.
Within this week I found following book trailer:

This is the trailer for the third book in the historical thriller series  Giordano Bruno by S. J. Parris (pen name used by Stephanie Merritt).
I own paper copies of Heresy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317707] and Prophecy (paperback) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317738] by S. J. Parris
So far I read Heresy. Of course I ordered a paperback copy of  Sacrilege (pb, August 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0007477234]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Let me start this section with something special. I'm a father of a grown up daughter without any health problems. But there are other children which need help. Yesterday I bought a picture ebook for 0.89 EUR which put a smile on my face. Sales profit will go to the Children’s Hospice Charity. The creat of the picture book is author Mark Lawrence's daughter, Celyn. For more information look here and here.

[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0087D3H34]


Last week I informed you about the incredible The Spirit of Fire Blog Tour with 48 stops.




Today the tour stops over at Soliloquy. If you like to see and listen to the author himself then look at Spirit of Fire by Stephen Zimmer — AUTHOR INTERVIEW.



Last week I enjoyed my colleagues in office with following link:
No Mere Puff Pieces: 30 Clever Cushions & Crafty Pillows
Do you need a special pillow? then have a look .....


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today I want to show you something which my wife and I will get in autumn. It is a bit bloody ... But it seems the older we get the more tougher content we need. I'm the nice guy in the bus beside you but in front of a screen with controller in my hand ....

DISHONORED

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

My host works as a programmer. So I'm I a programmer too or am I a result of the Universe? ...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Will be back for the Spirit of Fire tour.
I'm dangerous with a controller in my hand as well. And a steering wheel. You don't want to be the slow person in front of me.

Bryce L. said...

Hey, thanks for the mention and hope you like it. Marco's been a favorite of mine since I read his Tyrants and Kings trilogy.

Did you read Wheel Mouse yet? I'm still laughing about all that robot poo. Hilarious stuff and great to support a good cause. I honestly didn't realize it was a whole story before I bought it.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

it seems the older we get the more dangerous it is to give us a controller!

ediFanoB said...

Bryce,

thanks for recommendation of THE HUNDREDTH KILL. I bought it, read it and liked it a lot. This was my first John Marco story. I own the complete Tyrants and Kings trilogy. It seems the time has come to read it.

I read the WHEEL-MOUSE and as you the robot poo made me laugh.
I hope more people will buy the book in order to support AND to enjoy themselves.

Alan K Baker said...

Hi Edi. So glad you enjoyed The Feaster from the Stars (and thanks for giving it the thumbs up on Goodreads). If you're interested, my standalone supernatural mystery The Lighthouse Keeper is just out from Snowbooks. All the best, Alan

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alan,

thank you so much for visiting my blog.

I like your Blackwood & Harrington Mystery series a lot. I read and enjoyed 'The Martian Ambassador' and 'Feaster from the Stars'.

I read the book description of 'The Lighthouse Keeper' over at Amazon.co.uk. I tried the snowbooks site but problems occurred.

The description is very promising and I can tell you without any doubt that I'm really interested in 'The Lighthouse Keeper'.

For further exchange of information please send a mail either to
edisbooklighthouse[at]gmail[dot]com or
edifanob[at]gmail[dot]com.

All the best, Edi

John Marco said...

Hello! Thank you for mentioning my story on your blog. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

ediFanoB said...

Hello John,

thanks for stopping by. It is a pleasure to share word about a good story.

EDI VAN said...

Recently, many organizations have implemented feedback loops that allow them to capture feedback at the point of experience. For example, National Express, one of the UK's leading travel companies invites passengers to send text messages whilst riding the bus. This has been shown to be useful as it allows companies to improve their customer service before the customer defects, thus making it far more likely that the customer will return next time.EDI

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...