Monday, May 07, 2012

Edi's Historical Week 2012

Dear Readers,

A warm welcome to an extraordinary and unforgettable week on Edi's Book Lighthouse. While you read this post I relax together with my wife in a roofed wicker beach chair on the Baltic Sea island Usedom. We left home on April 29th and return on May 13th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time when I think of what will wait for me when we return home.
In December 2011 I started to think about what I could prepare for the time of my absence. Two weeks is a long time. But I'm a man with ambitious ideas ... In the end it was author A.L. Berridge and her upcoming historical fiction novel Into the Valley of Death (May 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0241954102] which inspired me and led to the result I proudly present to you in the next consecutive days.


Today is the day to introduce you to the first
Historical Week
on Edi's Book Lighthouse.

What will you get?
THREE REVIEWS,
TWO GIVEAWAYS,
ONE INTERVIEW,
ONE PRELUDE

As you may imagine that does not work without support. A big thank you goes to A.L. Berridge, Peguin Books and my beloved wife. But I hope the result is worth the hours I spent for preparation.


I dedicate this week to the war victims of the Crimean War in general and author A.L. Berridge in particular.


In my perception there are much more people who know more about the
American Civil War than about the
Crimean War. I know it differs from country to country.

Fortunately there is a new voice in the area of historical fiction which tries to bring up this forgotten war in our minds. I talk about author
A.L. Berridge.

I will be happy if at the end of the week you know more about the Crimean War, more about historical fiction author A.L. Berridge, more about what it means to write historical fiction and more about why it is important not to forget the past.


And that is what you will get from Monday to Sunday


Historical Week 2012 - Day One
Monday, May 7, 2012
Content:
You are reading the result which is an introduction of what to expect the whole week and the reason behind this week.

Historical Week 2012 - Day Two
Tuesday, May 8
After the introduction on Monday the time has come to go into details. How to do that?
Of course nobody wants to read endless posts and therefore I decided to read and review just one book which sets the Crimean War in a greater context without missing important facts in an entertaining way. History is more than memorising dates of battles and reigns. Fortunately I found a book written by profound British historian of Russia who delivered exactly what I wanted.

I read and reviewed Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.

Historical Week 2012 - Day Three
Wednesday, May 9
With the knowledge of the past two days you have a basic knowledge of
the Crimean War. Now the time has come to introduce to you one of my favorite historical fiction authors: A.L. Berridge
I know authors are busy and I have not much experience with interviews. I banned these points from my head, asked her for an interview and she agreed.
Let me intrigue you a bit. The result is not a run of the mill interview.
I look forward to your comments on Wednesday


Historical Week 2012 - Day Four
Thursday, May 10
This is a special day for A.L. Berridge:
It is the publishing day of Into the Valley of Death (May 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0241954102] which is the first book in a new series and tells the story of four men in the Crimean War.
For me it is a special day too. While you read my review of Into the Valley of Death, while A.L. Berridge awaits comments regarding her boo, my wife and I celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary!

Historical Week 2012 - Day Five
Friday, May 11
On Thursday I watered your mouth with my review of Into the Valley of Death (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0241954102].
Thanks to A.L. Berridge and Peguin Books I can offer you a world wide giveaway where you can win one of three Into the Valley of Death
copies. You will find the details within the post.

Historical Week 2012 - Day Six
Saturday, May 12
As you could read on Monday I dedicated this week to author A.L. Berridge in particular. The reason is not only Into the Valley of Death. She is also the author of The Chevalier Series which consist of two books so far. It all began with
Honour and the Sword (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043739] which I reviewed in September 2011. I do not deny that I liked it a lot.
In the Name of the King (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043746] is the second book in The Chevalier Series and there is no break between these books. I read it before my holiday and finished the review in time which means you can read it today (Saturday) while I relax.

Historical Week 2012 - Day Seven
Sunday, May 13
This is the seventh and last day of the first Historical Week on Edi's Book Lighthouse. It is also the day where my wife and I return from holiday. Hopefully we are as relaxed as we expect. I was thinking about what to deliver on the last day.
With the offer of three copies of In the Name of the King (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043746] from A.L. Berridge and Peguin Books
it has been obvious to start the second world wide giveaway within this week. You will find the details within the post.


Sorry, if you think that this is all for today I must disappoint you! I can't dismiss you without talking about my history of my love to

History and Historical Fiction

History means I have to go back in time, back to my childhood. There was one reason why I wanted to go to school: Learn reading!

There was a book in our shelf at home which I desperately wanted to read: It was about Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki expedition.
Reading opened a complete new world for me. But when reading met one of my favorite school subjects, I spent more time at home or in libraries than with friends. I think you know the subject:
HISTORY!
That is where it all began. That was the final birth for my love of books which still endures and developed to a kind of passion.

The discovery of authors like A.L. Berridge (and of course her books) fill my reading passion with life.

There is no present and future without the past. Come back the next six days, dive with me into the past of European history, discover a fascinating author and with some luck win one of her books.


ENJOY READING!

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Look forward to it!
And enjoy your time at the beach. My wife and I took a break and visited Myrtle Beach in SC, USA this weekend. It was awesome to be away for a couple days.

Mark Lawrence said...

enjoy the beach!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...