Saturday, April 28, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1217

Heavy Bombers: Fearsome Angels of the Cold War over at Dark Roast Blend

Hello and welcome to issue #1217 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Tomorrow we leave our home for hopefully relaxing two weeks which we will spend in Bansin (more info) on the Baltic Sea island Usedom. That means two weeks without computer, phon, noisee, stress and so on. Only me, my wife and the Baltic Sea.

The issues #1218 and #1219 of Edi's Weekend Wave will be replaced by alternative posts.But there will more action on the blog. You will get a lot of input. For the 14 days of my absence I prepared in sum IX posts for you!! No, there will be no guest blogger. I did this all on my own.
So don't forget to visit Edi's Book Lighthouse.

How will the comment section of my blog look like after our return on May 13th? The result depends on you.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A real book
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Airplanes
  2. Mark Hodder interview

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Once again The Avengers

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Refuse

The Lighthouse



Reading progress? Somehow I managed to finish one book. I needed most of the time for finishing posts. In sum I read 266 pages. I look forward to my holiday. There will be more time for reading.

I finished

- In the Name of the King (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043746] by A L Berridge


I'm


- 202 pages in The Alchemist of Souls [ISBN-13: 978-0857662149] by Anne Lyle
No progress.


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received a paperback copy of Bitter Seeds (mmpb,2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0765361202] by Ian Tregillis which I ordered a long time ago. To whatever reason the publishing date of the mmpb has been postponed again and again. The hardcover has been published in 2010. Hopefully the story will not repeat with The Coldest War which is the second book in the Milkweed Triptych series.

"It's 1939. The Nazis have supermen, the British have demons, and one perfectly normal man gets caught in between.
 British secret agent Raybould Marsh is haunted by something strange he saw on a mission during the Spanish Civil War: a German woman with wires going into her head who looked at him as if she knew him.
 When the Nazis start running missions with people who have unnatural abilities--a woman who can turn invisible, a man who can walk through walls, and the woman Marsh saw in Spain who can use her knowledge of the future to twist the present--Marsh is the man who has to face them. He rallies the secret warlocks of Britain to hold the impending invasion at bay.
But magic always exacts a price. Eventually, the sacrifice necessary to defeat the enemy will be as terrible as outright loss would be." [Back of the book]
Why do I want to read this book?  I read Liviu Suciu's convincing review in 2010. Afterwards I knew I wanted a copy of this book. But due to space problems I buy mostly mmpb and it took time until they published it. And a few days ago Graeme gave a Ten out of Ten which dos not happen that often.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

To be honest I have been far too tired to get more input for this part of the post.

I like aiplanes I was a boy. And every time I find a post like this one - Heavy Bombers: Fearsome Angels of the Cold War over at Dark Roasted Blend - I must read it.

Mark Hodder, the author of the Burton & Swinburne gave an interview over at a Forbidden Planet signing of his latest book: Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354].



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

It maybe a bit crazy. Tomorrow morning at 6 am we go on holiday. And what do we do today? We go to cinema before packing our bags. Luckily we got two tickets for Marvel Avengers Assemble !!!
I think that is reason enough to post the trailer again.




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

It seems Jean-Paul Sartre has a point ........


"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.
Jean-Paul Sartre, French author & existentialist philosopher (1905 - 1980)

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're going to see the Avengers before I do!

RaveAir said...

Enjoy your holiday!
How many books do you plan to carry with yourself to Bansin?

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

after coming back from cinema Ichecked my blog and read your comment.
That is incredible!
The Avengers is impressive but not my movie of the year. May wife and I talked about the film on our way back home.One problem we had was that we could not really connect to the heroes. We felt more like distant viewers.The reason for that is maby that we do not know most of the Avengers well.
Anyway I liked Hawkeye's bow a lot.

Now I need to pack my bag! See you in two weeks!

ediFanoB said...

Hi RaveAir,

Weekend Wave issue #1215 contains the list of paperbacks I will take with me and the reason why I chose these books.
Beside that we will take our e-Reader with us which contains a lot of unread books.

See you in two weeks!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Enjoy your holiday!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...