Saturday, April 21, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1216

Hello and welcome to issue #1216 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I returned from my business trip to UK on Friday 10.30 pm. So I have to write this issue of the Weekend Wave today (Saturday).
You will notice that this issue looks a bit different compared to the last ones. Beside that you read the last but one before my holiday.
I think I used the word holiday in the past weeks a way too often. But that shows how much I look forward to it. Anyway don't forget to comeback while I'm away - I prepared interesting things for you.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. What I came across after my return
  2. I have to tell you a story
  3. Reading progress
  4. An Announcement
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A digital copy for free
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Post series
  2. Massing Manuscripts
  3. Post series

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. One Game, Three Videos
  2. An Advertisement

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Refuse

The Lighthouse

I always hesitate a bit to open my mail accounts and my Google Reader after the return from a business trip. Of course I know that there will be a lot of entries but how many? Anyway the longer I blog and the more people I get in contact with the more entries I get.
"Only" 120 mails and more than 1000 Google Reader entries are waiting for me. In case you wait for an answer please be patient with me.
My priority for today is to write and post this issue of the Weekend Wave.


And now it is story time.
I need to tell you something which does not happen that often. As I mentioned several times, I have been on a business trip to UK last week.
That happens once a while. Of course I also inform people/friends with whom I stay in contact.
Author A L Berridge belongs to the mentioned group of people/friends.
She mailed back and asked me where I will go to. Of course I told her.
And then she came back with an magificent proposal: Let us meet!! I got excited and danced around the table! I assume you know the answer I sent to her.
So in the evening of last Thursday I met an author for the first time in my life!
We met and started immediately to talk and went on talking for the next two hours. It was unbelievable. So many things to talk about. We could have continued for hours but unfortunately she had to leave after two hours. I hope you understand that I do not go into details. But I can tell you we talked about wild mix of topics from books to family, from past to future plans. I never, never, never expected that. We know for sure that we want to meet us again - whenever it will be.
It have been lucky circumstances. This was the perfect combination of business trip and private matters.

Anyway I reviewed her first book Honour and the Sword and be sure you will read more about A L Berridge on Edi's Book Lighthouse soon.
I also recommend her posts over at The History Girls at the 20th of a month.



Reading progress slowed down last week due to my business trip. In sum I read 188 pages. But sometimes it is more important to meet people instead of reading.

I'm

- 224 pages in In the Name of the King (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043746] by A L Berridge
At least a progress of 188 pages.

- 202 pages in The Alchemist of Souls [ISBN-13: 978-0857662149] by Anne Lyle
No progress.


I just want to remind you that on Monday, April 23rd, Edi's Book Lighthouse is the next stop of the


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

I have been lucky this week. I found time to read a handful of private mails during my busines trip last week. And one of these five mails have been sent by author Stephen Zimmer. He wrote me that I could get the second book in the Leland Dragon series by by Jackie Gamber for free on one specific day. I informed immediately my wife which downloaded the electronic copy of Sela (March 2012) [Kindle edition, ASIN: B007LD3L0U] for me.
"Peace was fleeting. Vorham Riddess, Venur of Esra Province, covets the crystal ore buried deep in Leland's mountains. His latest device to obtain it: land by marriage to a Leland maiden. But that's not all.
Among Dragonkind, old threats haunt Mount Gore, and shadows loom in the thoughts of the Red who restored life to land and love. A dragon hunter, scarred from countless battles, discovers he can yet suffer more wounds.
In the midst of it all, Sela Redheart is lost, driven from her home with only her old uncle to watch over her. As the dragon-born child of Kallon, the leader of Leland's Dragon Council, she is trapped in human form with no understanding of how she transformed, or how to turn back.
Wanderers seek a home, schemes begin to unfurl, and all is at risk as magic and murder, marriage and mystery strangle the heart of Esra. A struggle for power far older and deeper than anyone realizes will leave no human or dragon unaffected.
In a world where magic is born of feeling, where the love between a girl and a dragon was once transformative, what power dwells in the heart of young Sela?" [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

In the world of book blogs you will find either by recommendation or with the some luck post series.
Today I highly recommend all the post series WOMEN IN SF&F MONTH over at Fantasy Cafe. So far 17!!! posts are available.
So far I did not find to read each post in detail but promise a lot of excellent content.


I like mysteries and I also like to read about missing things like documents. In case you would like to read more about it I recommend
to read Missing Manuscripts: 7 Lost Wonders of the Written Word over at WebUrbanist.


I must say I found a lot of book recommendations for myself over at Falcata Times. On April 17th they started a STEAMPUNK WEEK.
So if you are interested to discover steampunk authors and their books I recommend to have a look at this still ongoing post series.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

This is one of these weeks which deliver as many interesting movie trailer for me as a mummy delivers blood for a vampire: Exactly zero!

After all these years I still like to play video games. In difference to former times I spend significantly less time for playing and I am more selective nowadays. But it seems I found my game for 2012 - even the game will be released not before December. I do not want to tell you much about it. I watched following videos and read the available information over at Game Informer. There are a few things which really aroused my interest: The setting, to make decisions which have an impact on the story AND the surrounding, the variety of possible solutions. And the name of the game is: DISHONORED

DISHONORED: The offical trailer


DISHONORED: Stealthy, Gruesome Murder


DISHONORED: Creating Steampunk Beauty

To be honest the gentlemen at 0:20 reminded me of a PC game from 2001 with the title Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

As I told you in my introduction todays content is different. I did not find a trailer I would like to share with you.
Fortunately I am what I am which means I am always good for something unexpected like the following one:

If you have more than one electronical device in your home the challenge begins: cable management. How does it look like behind/beneath your TV, DVD, BLUE RAY, SOUND SYSTEM, GAME CONSOLES, and, and, and, ......

I admit I am not the perfect cable manager. The following ad shows a possible solution:

Did I get paid by IKEA for posting this ad? NO ! But if the would offer me an UPPLEVA (a 32" would be appreciated) for free would not deny it ....

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Today I dismiss you with a thought-provoking quote which is more than 200 years old .....

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire, French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

9 comments:

Bryce L. said...

On a similar note to your quote at the end: “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”
― Oscar Wilde

Great update, as usual, thanks.

ediFanoB said...

@Bryce,

thanks a lot for the quote. I think it shows that there are topics which occur again and again and encourage people to express their point of view in remarkable sentences.

Whenever I find time I read your posts.
Seems we both develop since we met (virtually) for the first time.

If you don't go forwards you go backwards.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you finally got to meet an author in person. We're a normal bunch of people - for the most part!

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

unbelievable but true authors are indeed human beings. I know one should not generalise but after this meeting I would say authors and blogger look like normal people. Everything changes as soon as we open our mouths and start to talk .....

Rosalie Skinner said...

So glad you met an author and didn't discover their peculiarities. They only show under ultraviolet light.. or when they enter their very own world of Fantasy... LOL.
Great post. Lovely to know 'author's are special. :)

Rosalie Skinner said...

(that is 'authors' of course...)
Damn blogger, can't edit posts. Too early in the morning to be leaving comments. hehehe.

RaveAir said...

Your meeting with the author should have been exciting experience.

I completely understand your problem with Google Reader and mails. If you don't check/read them daily or more frequent basis you'll found hundreds of new posts to check. Sometimes it is a very tiresome task.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

I hope in wish that I meet more authors in future. You are one of these authors.

I believe we both would have a good time and a lot of things to talk about.

It is always a pleasure to see you on the blog.

ediFanoB said...

@RaveAir,

Louise and I have had a great time. It is still incredible how much we talked and how fast the time passed.

It is always good to read that other people face the same problem.
It is our problem that we follow so many blogs ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...