Saturday, April 07, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1214

Hello and welcome to issue #1214 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Easter - means family meeting - means work from cleaning the house to cooking and baking - means two public holidays in Germany - means more time for reading - means sweets - means no reason to forgo the Weekend Wave.

I wish you a HAPPY EASTER and

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Dates
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. One for the ereader
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Typewriter Art
  2. RaveAir goes English
  3. Fingernail Art
  4. Alliteration

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Avengers Assemble
  2. Iron Sky

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Engineers

The Lighthouse


Last week I spent more time for visiting blogs and therefore less time for reading. But I must say I'm not unhappy with a progress of 404 pages. I finished a book and a book in a book.Confusing? I will explain later on.


I finished

The Sentient Fire (e-book, 2011) [where to buy] by D.W. Hawkins which is Book One Of The Seven Signs.
My review will be up on April 11th 2012

- The Sign of Four which is part of The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery by Arthur Conan Doyle [a Conan Doyle Estate, Ltd. authorized Kindle eBook edition].
I wrote on GOODREADS: "It is a story with wit, action and a spark of romance. There is a steamboat race on river Thames! Wonderful! I love it."


I'm

- 346 pages in Into the Valley of Death (ARC) by A. L. Berridge
Inkerman ahead ...

- 142 pages in The Alchemist of Souls [ISBN-13: 978-0857662149] by Anne Lyle


I just want to repeat some dates where you can find addtional content on my blog beside my weekly post:

APRIL 10
I will be part of the Sela blog tour. When everything goes well I will present you an interesting guest post.


APRIL 11
I will be part of the Sentient Fire blog tour and present you my review of The Sentient Fire (e-book, 2011) [where to buy] by D.W. Hawkins


APRIL 23
I will be part of the Overkill blog tour and present you a guest post by author Stephen L Shresbury.

"Overkill is the second novel featuring the iconic sword and scorcery figure Gorias La Gaul, following the debut of the character in the novel Thrall, released in late 2010 from Seventh Star Press. Gorias La Gaul is also featured in two short stories, Author and Finisher of Our Flesh, and Insurmountable, both available in eBook format in the Blood and Steel: Legends of La Gaul collection in the Seventh Star Singles catalog.
The story told in Overkill takes place in an ancient time, before a great flood wiped clean the earth, destroying everything upon it. Before the deluge, in a time now forgotten, the world was a place of warriors and witches, conflicts between kingdoms, and, until their extermination, dragons. In this world, men may live centuries, fallen angels have begotten terrifying spawn, and sometimes, the best hope can be found in a brothel.
In the land of Transalpina, a new religion spreads, and important men are dying mysteriously, slain by what can only be the fire of dragon breath. Summoned by the Queen Garnet, the legendary warrior Gorias La Gaul returns to the place where he once saved the queen's young granddaughter from treachery and enslavement. The Princess Nykia is gone, and soon others may try to claim the throne. The queen has little choice but to turn to the only man who ever told her no.
With the aid of one of the queen's elite guard, the battle maiden Alena, and the young palace servant Orsen, the old mercenary will face pirates and traitors, monsters and foul magic in the quest to find the missing heir and learn the truth behind the disconcerting murders." [Source]



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I got an electronic ARC from Angry Robots. It is a science fiction book with a really short title:
vN (pb and ePub, end of July 2012) [ePub ISBN: 978-0857662637] by Madeline Ashby.
"Amy Peterson is a von Neumann machine, a self-replicating humanoid robot.

For the past five years, she has been grown slowly as part of a mixed organic/synthetic family. She knows very little about her android mother’s past, so when her grandmother arrives and attacks her mother, little Amy wastes no time: she eats her alive.

Now she carries her malfunctioning granny as a partition on her memory drive, and she’s learning impossible things about her clade’s history – like the fact that the failsafe that stops all robots from harming humans has failed… Which means that everyone wants a piece of her, some to use her as a weapon, others to destroy her." [Source]
The blurb sounds promising....


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

It is amazing what you can do you with a typewriter. Over at WebUrbanist delivered follwing post
Typewriter Artist Creates Prints One Line at a Time
which I find worth to visit.


Congratulations and good luck for Hungarian fellow blogger RaveAir who started a second blog ...... in English. Visits and comments are welcomed. Now have a look at Rave on the Air


I'm male but that did not hinder me to color my fingernails - at least a few of them. But that is nothing compared to the 41 Examples Of Insane Fingernail Art which you can see over at WebUrbanist.


Do you like alliteration? I like it. But to do it in English is a challenge for me because English is not my first language. I highly recommend to visit The A to Z Challenge over at Meeting with My Muse. Kimberly does a great job. You can find my tries over there in the comment section. Have fun!


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Shortly before our holiday a movie with a tough heroine will hit the cinemas in Germany. I'm sure it will still be shown when we return after two weeks. Avenger Assemble lasts 140 minutes. I show you just 43 seconds .....


I look forward to April 11th. Then my wife and I go again to cinema. Which Movie? IRON SKY ! I posted several trailers last year. Today I show you the official first four and a half minutes.

The review over at collider.com delivers detailed information.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I do not have anything against egineers. But I must say Cory Doctorow has a point:

"Engineers are all basically high-functioning autistics who have no idea how normal people do stuff.
Cory Doctorow, Canadian science fiction writer, Eastern Standard Tribe, 2004

12 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Hello Edi!! Wow! What a Weekend Wave Issue! Where do I start - so much to keep me occupied over Easter! Yay!

Have a brilliant chocolate filled Easter! Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What is it about an Old Kitty comment that just makes me smile?
Sounds like you have several guests lined up for the month.
Envy that you get to see Iron Sky. No idea when it's coming here. Our next movie is April 13 and The Cabin in the Woods.
Have a great Easter!

C.M.Brown said...

What a full issue, lots to keep us busy. Have a Great Easter!

CarolynBrown-Books

Talli Roland said...

My goodness, you're busy! Hope you're having a lovely relaxing weekend.

ediFanoB said...

@Old Kitty,

we have had a lot of chocolate. MY mother and my sister visited us yesterday.
And of course I got chocolate from my mother even I'm beyond 50.
She told me the age does not matter because I will be always her child.

Glad that you found something enjoyable to read on my blog.

In Germany Easter Monday is a public holiday. So I have enough time to visit blogs and prepare the posts for Tuesday and Wednesday.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

Old Kitty is such a kind - I wanted to write lady but I'm sure if that would make her older than she is - person.

Not sure if Iron Sky will hit the cinemas over the pond.
Will let you know my impressions.

I think it is good to have guests on the blog. It is like a fresh breeze.

ediFanoB said...

@C. M. Brown,

when I look at your blog it seems you are busy person too.

Hope you hav had a Great Easter.

ediFanoB said...

@Tally Roland,

life would be boring as a couch potato.
But I admit it would be great to have more time for my hobby: Books

Indeed I have had a relaxing and nice Sunday. But I think I ate too much chocolate. I can't resist chocolate and I can't resist my wife. Both are sweet.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great post Edi... Happy Easter!
Lots to read and blogs to follow, thanks.

ediFanoB said...

@Rosalie,

I hope you have had a Happy Easter too.

Next time I will mention your blog. You may have recognised that I started with regular visits and adding comments.

RaveAir said...

Wow! Thank you for the mention! It was a great suprise to me!

I have a really busy Easter. We had to work Friday, but I had a little shorter day as usual. Saturday we went to "babyswim" with the little ones, than to my parents to the countryside. Our children got a real rabbit and many-many chocolate eggs (of course, the rabbit made the eggs ;)).
Sunday was a restday, but we did some minor thing and it went fast away.

Easter Monday we changed the tires of our car from winter to summer, and went back to home... without the childer, because they have spring/easter holiday.

I'm very curious about the Iron Sky. I want to watch it, but I have an almost sure feeling I won't have oportunity to watch in a cinema. I'm sure it'll be funny.
I'd like to read here a short review about it!

ediFanoB said...

@RaveAir,

I appreciate what you are doing and there are two things which I can do in order to support you: Leaving comments on your blog and spread word.

That was indeed a busy Easter for you. But I'm sure your wife and the kids enjoyed the time thy could spent together with you.

So you would like to read a short Iron Sky review? OK. I will do that for you and of course for all other readers.
Expect it either Thursday or Friday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...