Saturday, March 24, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1212

Hello and welcome to issue #1212 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I'm not happy with myself. There is a big gap between aspiration and reality. I feel like walking through a swamp.
But I found a way to share some stuff with you.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. None bought but one for the list
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. George
  2. HBO, the second season

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Prometheus and what we will get in Germany

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Reminder

The Lighthouse


Last week I spent more time for reading. I need more time. Last year I read 35 pages per hour. This year I happy when I reach 20 pages per hour. Don't ask me why. I read 560 pages last week and finished two books.


I finished

- Hawk Quest (2012, print and digital) by Robert Lyndon
For me it was a great read which took me to a lot of foreign countires which I never visited in real life so far. I have been emotionally touched by the death of some characters. I know there will be a second book and I know I will definitely read it.

- Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.
One of the best history books I read in the past years.



I'm

- 390 pages in The Sentient Fire (e-book, 2011) [where to buy] by D.W. Hawkins which is Book One Of The Seven Signs.
Entertaining epic fantasy. And the world is neither black nor white ...

- 55 pages in Into the Valley of Death (ARC) by A. L. Berridge


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Another week passed without buying a book. But there is nearly no week where I discover new books and some of them make it to my to buy list. This time it is a steampunk book. Due to information on the author's site it will be published in January 2013. That means there is enough time to get more information about by Gareth L. Powell.
The cover and especially the blurb promise a highly entertaining book.
"In 1944, as waves of German ninjas parachute into Kent, Britain’s best hopes for victory lie with a Spitfire pilot codenamed ‘Ack-Ack Macaque’. The trouble is, Ack-Ack Macaque is a cynical, one-eyed, cigar-chomping monkey, and he’s starting to doubt everything, including his own existence.

A century later, in a world where France and Great Britain merged in the late 1950s and nuclear-powered Zeppelins encircle the globe, ex-journalist Victoria Valois finds herself drawn into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the man who butchered her husband and stole her electronic soul. Meanwhile, in Paris, after taking part in an illegal break-in at a research laboratory, the heir to the British throne goes on the run.

And all the while, the doomsday clock ticks towards Armageddon." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I'm a big fan of the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin.

And whenever I find a video with a George R.R. Martin interview I watch. Maybe I should spend my time for reading instead of watching one hour George R.R. Martin. But to be honest I really like to listen.
I'm sure some of you saw the videos before. I could not withstand to post them:
Part One

Part Two

Part Three



Only one week lef until the start of the 2nd season of the HBO Game of Thrones TV series.
Just watch Game of Thrones: You Win or You Die



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I must come back to the PROMETHEUS trailer I showed you last week.
In case you did not see it, I show it again.


Now the German trailer has been released. I watched it and I have been heavily disappointed. They managed to remove all the atmosphere shown in the US trailer. Have a look. Even if you do not understand German you will easily detect the differences. I do not understand why they did it.



I'm not sure if I want to see the German localisation in cinema or if I should wait for the DVD. I want to hear:
"We were so wrong ...."

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

What a true word and it still makes sense after so many years :

"People need to be reminded more often than they need to be instructed.
Samuel Johnson, English author, critic, & lexicographer (1709 - 1784)

9 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Wonderful post and videos , most enjoyable to read and see.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Different pacing for the German trailer and the music is all wrong. It's like two different movies.
And thirty-five pages an hour? I'd really hate to time myself - I'm a very slow reader.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Yvonne,

always a pleasure to see you visiting my blog.

I love the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series (books and TV)

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

I thought that 35 pages per hour (which has been no problem for me in 2011) is not that much.
To be honest I can't do that eight hours in a row.
I need a break every two hours.
And of course it depends on the book. There are books where I'm happy when I read fifteen pages per hour.

Anyway most important is to enjoy reading.

RaveAir said...

ediFanoB: As I mentioned sometimes I'm really envy with you about the time of reading... and now about your reading progress. I think your increased reading performance mostly depend on the size of the page and the size of the letters. ;)

I'm eager to wait the second season of the Game of Thrones series. But I have to admin it was a long time ago when I read the 2nd and 3rd book of the ASoIaF.

Prometheus... well, I wasn't a big fan of the Alien series, but this movie looks quite promising.

Rosalie Skinner said...

I am looking forward to the second season of Game of Thrones.
My reading speed has dropped recently. Eyes.. age... hmm.
Great trailers.. love your blog posts. They always offer something to look forward to.

ediFanoB said...

Hi RaveAir,

also the mood has an impact on reading progress.
The good thing with ebooks is, that you can choose the font size.

From time time I have the impression that also the length of a book and the length of chapters have an impact on reading progress.

For me it makes a difference if a chapter consist of 40 pages or 15 pages.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
I'm always happy when you find something worth to read on my blog.

I hope you will increase your reading speed soon.
I must say to read ebooks has an advantage for readers beyond 40:
I appreciate the possibility to change the font and the font size.

RaveAir said...

I just watched the Hungarian version of the Prometheus trailer and realized this one is also different from the international one. If you interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzBZDYVV8uQ

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...