Saturday, March 17, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1211

Hello and welcome to issue #1211 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I know I'm late. I do not want to go in details. I struggle to find and keep the balance between work, family and hobby.
So no lament. Instead have a look at what I want o share with you.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A gift
  2. Why one should visit other blogs
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Small, smaller, nano
  2. A survey
  3. Map

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Dark Shadows
  2. Prometheus

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Poor or rich

The Lighthouse


Reading is getting difficult as I still do nat have a rhythm like last year. Best day for reading is definitely Sunday. Last week I read 335 pages in five days. As I have some plans for April and May, I decided to concentrate reading on the books I need to fulfil requests. Surprisingly I finshed one book.


I finished
- The Istanbul Puzzle (Kindle edition, January 2012) [ASIN: B005S9KQ8Y] by Laurence O'Bryan
That was a quick read. Nothing extraordinary. Good description of Istanbul and a good presentation of historical information.

I'm

- 404 pages in Hawk Quest (2012, print and digital) by Robert Lyndon
Will they reach their destination?


- 323 pages in Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.
Most of the soldiers involved in this war have not been treated as human beings.


- 255 pages in The Sentient Fire (e-book, 2011) [where to buy] by D.W. Hawkins which is Book One Of The Seven Signs.
Even excellent magicians are not invincible ....


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Ubelievable but true: I did not buy a book last week. Of course I would like to have more books. But when I look at all the unread books at home, I feel guilty.

So you think I did not receive a single copy. On the contrary. There are really nice authors who send me copies.
A big, big thank you goes to Rosalie Skinner the author The Chronicles of Caleath series.
In September 2011 I reviewed Exiled:Autumn's Peril (eBook, September 2011) which is the first book in the series.
And now I received a digital copy of Exiled: The Battle for Enderseer Hold (eBook, March 2012) which is the fourth book.
Head over to Rosalie's site for a limited offer.

For all of you know read the previous books the following text will make sense:
"Will the Deathbringer resist the temptation to fight on the side of Evil and save his friends? Will the Legacy of Lathraine's Pledge prove a burden or a blessing?" [Source]
For all of you who do not know the series I recommend to read my review of book one and/or visit Rosalie's site where you also can find extracts from each book.
I still need to review book two and read book three and four. I hope that will happen before the publishin date of book five!!


I like to visit other blogs. This one source to discover new books or books I have not noticed.
Today I want to say thank you to Mihai, the Dark Wolf who is the guy behind Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews. It was Mihai who posted about a book which normally would have gone under my radar.
First I watched the trailer which I did not find that convincing ...


Then I saw the cover of The Steel Seraglio (different formats, 2012) [Check availablility here] byMike Carey, Linda Carey, Louise Carey which I also found not that convincing. It changed all after reading the blurb.
"The sultan Bokhari Al-Bokhari of Bessa has 365 concubines—until a violent coup puts the city in the hands of the religious zealot Hakkim Mehdad. Hakkim has no use for the pleasures of the flesh: he condemns the women first to exile and then to death. Cast into the desert, the concubines must rely on themselves and each other to escape from the new sultan’s fanatical pursuit. But their goals go beyond mere survival: with the aid of the champions who emerge from among them, they intend to topple the usurper and retake Bessa from the repressive power that now controls it. The assassin, Zuleika, whose hands are weapons. The seer, Rem, whose tears are ink. The wise Gursoon, who was the dead sultan’s canniest advisor. The camel-thief, Anwar Das, who offers his lying tongue to the concubines’ cause. Together, they must forge the women of the harem into an army, a seraglio of steel, and use it to conquer a city. But even if they succeed, their troubles will just be beginning—because their most dangerous enemy is within their own number . . . ." [Source]
For me the blurb is intriguing. It is a book written by a family: Fahter, mother and daughter. For mor information you should read the guest post over at Wag The Fox.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I admit there was not much time to find interesting things worth to share with you.

2012 is the first year where I take part in blog tours. I think blog tours are a good way to for authors to present their books to different readerships and also a good way for blogger to get new readers.
But that is my opinion.

I would like to know what you - my reader and follower - think about blog tours?

Just leave a comment. I read and comment back.

From time to time I fill out surveys - but only in case I'm interested in the topic and when I can get results afterwards.
Today I inform you about the latest one I took part.
I found following post - Surveying Fiction Readers - over at A Writer of History.
I was thinking about to explain her survey but to be honest Mary, the author of the post, explain it a lot better than I would do. Therefore I just quote her post (including the survey link)
"AN OPEN REQUEST …

After researching the reasons why people read historical fiction for a blog post, and finding almost nothing, I decided to create a survey to discover more about those who read historical fiction and those who do not – demographics, story preferences, favourite time periods, reasons for reading or not reading this genre, sources of recommendations in this digital world of ours and so on.

As readers, would you please take a few minutes to complete the survey? It doesn’t matter whether you read historical fiction or not because I’d like to hear from as wide a range as possible. And if possible, to add to the robustness of data collected, please pass the survey URL along to friends of all reading interests, ages and in any part of the world you can reach!

Here’s the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LNM7DKQ

Many thanks,

Mary"

Maybe you are interested too to take part. It really takes a couple of minutes to fill out. I belong to the over 300 people who completd the survey.
Anyway I will post about the result.


Today it is time to route your view again in direction of WebUrbanist.
Go and have a look at


Like a lot of fantasy readers I like maps. So I'm happy when I discover maps related to books I read or I want to read.
In 2010 I read and reviewed Farlander by . I liked the first book in the Heart of the World series a lot. Recently I bought a copy of Stands a Shadow (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0330511896] which is the second book in the series.
And now author Col Buchanan shows an interactive map on his site.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I like actor Johnny Depp a lot. So I watched the official Dark Shadows trailer with great interest. And what shall I say: I looks like a Tim Burton movie!! And yes, I like it.



33 years ago I followed with opened mouth the first appearance of Ellen Ripley in Alien. Actress Sigourney Weaver did a great job. In the following years there have been sequels and subsequent prequels. But this year the Alien universe returns to cinema with the Ridley Scott film PROMETHEUS. I was a pleasure for to read that there will be again a female main character: Noomi Rapace starring as archeologist and scientist Elizabeth Shaw.
Don't worry, I shut my mouth now and show you the official HD trailer:

"We were so wrong ...."

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I'm a rich man: I can read, I can count, I have a home and something to eat. But
"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars.
J. Paul Getty, US oil industrialist (1892 - 1976)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll go take the survey.
I like blog tours (obviously!) and I've hosted many of my author friends on their tours. The more original and humorous posts bring the greatest amount of visitors. I think it's a great way to help out hard working authors with great books by spreading the word. And I certainly appreciate everyone who spread the word about my books - like you!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Blog tours and blog hops are great fun and a means of meeting other authors and readers. As Alex says, the more humorous and entertaining the post, the better.
Thanks for mentioning the limited time bonus for Exiled Book Four. :)
Appreciate your support, take your time reading.

Hope you are feeling better after last week's illness. Don't overdo it. We are heading into winter and already the first sniffles have arrived.

RaveAir said...

I filled the mentioned survey. I just realized I read very few historical fictions nowdays. It is shame, because at past I loved them.

I like blog tours, because these ones make the blogs more colorful and interesting. And sometimes causing big suprise to the followers of the blogs.

ediFanoB said...

Hey Alex,

thanks for taking the survey. Do you like historical fiction?

I know that you like blog tours and it was an honor to be part of your CassaFirE blog tour.

I ust say I like to be part of blog tours.

And to spread word ist at least one thing I can do for authors and books I like.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

to mention the limited bonus was the least thing I could do for you.

And yes, finally we all feel well.

For you winter is coming and we wait for spring. Is there any better sign to show that we live at different places?

Anyway I hope you and your dear and near ones stay healthy through winter.

ediFanoB said...

Hi RaveAir,

go to hear from you. So it made sense that you completed the survey. Maybe you will return to read more historical fiction.

After my experience with Alex' blog tour I decided to be part of some more.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...