Saturday, February 25, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1208

Hello and welcome to issue #1208 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Like most of you I follow other blogs. One reason to do that is that I try to avoid to post content which you have read on ten other blogs before.
Sometimes it leads to a situation like today, where I sit in fron of my laptop and do not really know what to post. Then I start surfing ....
And that is what I have found.

ENJOY READING ....


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. Announcement
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. No new books
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Office: A place for creativity

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A Fan made trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms A true word

The Lighthouse


Last week I really concentrated on finishing books. But I could not resist to start one more book. All in all I read 763 pages and finished two books which is not that bad.


I finished

Giant Thief (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0857662118] by David Tallerman
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I still need to decide how many stars I will give. I expected a different book after reading the blurb and few reviews. Of course there is humor in the book and the story is easy to read. The style is entertaining. But a lot of time the main character Easie Damasco was a pain in my neck. I have been disappointed by the giant Saltlick. "
Saltlick is much more intelligent as he shows and he played a different role as I expected. It seems there are more people who like the book than the ones who do not really like it like me.
Anyway I decide not to follow The Tales of Easie Damasco.
I think in this case you have to read it on your own in order to build up your mind.

Songs of the Dying Earth (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765320865] edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Finally I finished the book.
So far I have not read Jack Vance’s The Dying Earth. So did not really know what to expect. In the end it was a mixed reading. Nearly half of the stories have not been my kind of story.
I think this book is definitely one for Jack Vance fans.
Based on MY TASTE I gave three stars. This rating does not say anything about the quality of the stories. "


I'm

- 450 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
NO PROGRESS

- 124 pages in Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder
NO PROGRESS

- 258 pages in Hawk Quest (2012, print and digital) by Robert Lyndon
We travel north ....
NO PROGRESS

- 99 pages in Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.
That means I read one more chapter

- 11 pages in The Sign Of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
Sherlock Holmes and drugs ...
NO PROGRESS

- 39 pages in The Sentient Fire (e-book, 2011) [where to buy] by D.W. Hawkins which is Book One Of The Seven Signs.
It is fantasy and there is magic. Can't say more because I started to get to know the characters and the world ...

My plan is to finish these books plus two more by end of April which belong to my secret project to be revealed in May.


ANNOUNCEMENT

Don't forget to come back on Tuesday, February 28th.

CassaFirE (February 28th, 2012, pb, 240 p.)
[ISBN-13: 978-0982713945]
Alex J. Cavanaugh

It is the publishing date of CassaFirE by Alex J. Cavanaugh and I will be part of the blog tour!


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received an ARC of a book which will be published in May 2012. I can't tell you more as it belongs to my secret project to be revealed in May.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Are you an office artist? In case you are you can compare your results over at Dark Roasted Blend. Have a look at Just Geeking Out: Office Creativity (Funny Pics).

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Sometimes fan trailer show more than the official ones. The John Carter is an example for that:





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

What is the conclusion of following quote?
- all men should take narcotics ...
- Remove chairs from office ...
- Work while walk ...

"I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable to sit still in a room.
Blaise Pascal, French mathematician, physicist (1623 - 1662)

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So ready for Tuesday! Thanks for being such a major part of my next book release.
Two books that didn't live up to expectations? Always a bummer.
Will see you early Tuesday morning!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Will certainly be part of Alex's blog tour.

Yvonne.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I'm ready. That will be a great show.
Some of the books I'm currently reading are really good.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Yvonne,

great to read that you will be part of the tour.

The Tame Lion said...

Awesome!

ediFanoB said...

Thanks for stopping by The Tame Lion.

Ciara said...

I'm with the Alex phenomenon tomorrow, too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...