Saturday, February 18, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1207

Hello and welcome to issue #1207 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Time for decisions.

Lament or look ahead.

I feel a kind of mentally robbed.

So I will use my mental "leftovers" to think positive and deliver something which is hopefully worth to spend time for.


ENJOY READING


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. A copy for the collector
  2. A copy I need
  3. A Seventh Star Press announcement
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Matchboosk
  2. Sideways-Shooting
  3. Dentistry

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. There was a time without Photoshop ...

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Something about language

The Lighthouse

It seems I have the tendency to start reading books and finish them aeons later. Eight open books. That's for too much for me. Is that me? I'm a bit afraid of myself. To my surprise I finished a book this week.
In sum I read 372 pages which is in one word pathetic.


I finished

The Hellfire Chronicles: Blood in the Skies (Kindle Edition, 2011)[ASIN: B005EHRTJE] by G.D. Falksen
Steampunk, action, emotions and opened questions at the end. I wait for the next book in the series. It seems I'm lucky with my choice of steampunk books.


I'm

- 450 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
NO PROGRESS

- 124 pages in Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder
NO PROGRESS

- 259 pages in Songs of the Dying Earth (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765320865] edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
NO PROGRESS

- 258 pages in Hawk Quest (2012, print and digital) by Robert Lyndon
We travel north ....

- 60 pages in Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.
NO PROGRESS

- 11 pages in The Sign Of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
Sherlock Holmes and drugs ...

- 85 pages in Giant Thief (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0857662118] by David Tallerman
So far it is not really what I expected. But I will see how the story of Easie Damasco and Saltlick continues.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


In 2010 I read and reviewed Farlander by Col Buchanan. I liked the first book in the Heart of the World series a lot. There was no doubt that I wanted to get a copy of the seqel. It took some time until the publishing of the paperback edition. Since a few days I own a copy of Stands a Shadow (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0330511896].
If you want to read a blurb please click on the cover


I think you know this feeling. You read the blurb of a book and you immediately know that you must have it! That happened to me with The Pillars Of Hercules (pb, March 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-1597803977]. by David Constantine which is the fantasy/steampunk nom de plume of David J. Williams.
"Alexander, Prince of Macedon, is the terror of the world. Persia, Egypt, Athens . . . one after another, mighty nations are falling before the fearsome conqueror. Some say Alexander is actually the son of Zeus, king of the gods, and the living incarnation of Hercules himself. Worse yet, some say Alexander believes this . . . . The ambitious prince is aided in his conquest by unstoppable war-machines based on the forbidden knowledge of his former tutor, the legendary scientist-mage known as Aristotle. Greek fire, mechanical golems, and gigantic siege-engines lay waste to Alexander''s enemies as his armies march relentlessly west--toward the very edge of the world. Beyond the Pillars of Hercules, past the gateway to the outer ocean, lies the rumored remnants of Atlantis: ancient artifacts of such tremendous power that they may be all that stands between Alexander and conquest of the entire world. Alexander desires that power for himself, but an unlikely band of fugitives-including a Gaulish barbarian, a cynical Greek archer, a cunning Persian princess, and a sorcerer''s daughter-must find it first . . . before Alexander unleashes godlike forces that will shatter civilization. The Pillars of Hercules is an epic adventure that captures the grandeur and mystery of the ancient world as it might have been, where science and magic are one and the same." [Source]
Anyway don't forget to visit the official Pillars of Hercles site which is awesome.


ANNOUNCEMENT

Most of my readers know that I stay in contact with author Stephen Zimmer and Seventh Star Press. And whenever I have the opportunity I help to spread word about upcoming books. The following announcement is mostly the official text from Seventh Star Press

Today I show you two new illustrations by Matthew Perry which mark the start of pre-orders for Michael West's urban fantasy novel Poseidon's Children, Book One of the Legacy of the Gods series.

The new urban fantasy series is Michael's second with Seventh Star Press, following the extremely successful release of Cinema of Shadows, his latest Harmony Indiana novel, in 2011. The Legacy of the Gods series is set to build rapidly upon Michael's horror readership, introducing his well-crafted storytelling to urban fantasy audiences everywhere.
Increasingly recognized for the high quality of its limited hardcover editions, Seventh Star Press is making available a new pre-order offer that allows readers and collectors to secure both a collectible, signed hardcover of Poseidon's Children (out of a run of just 75 copies), as well as an eBook version suited for their particular eReaders (Kindle or Nook editions will be "gifted" by Seventh Star Press on the day of release).
The bundle of a hardcover and eBook edition is accompanied by a sharp set of glossy 5X7 art cards, featuring the interior illustrations found in Poseidon's Children, as well as bookmarks from the novel and a set of thee collectible magnets. The price for the hardcover/eBook bundle and extras is one readers will find very attractive at just $32.95. The hardcovers (and pre-ordered softcovers) will be signed and numbered by Michael on Saturday, March 17 and shipped out on the 19th.
The illustrations for Poseidon's Children were created by highly acclaimed fantasy/horror artist Matthew Perry, who also does the artwork for Michael's Harmony Indiana Novels with Seventh Star Press. The Poseidon's Children project also reunited Michael with his Cinema of Shadows editor, Amanda DeBord.

In Poseidon's Children, man no longer worships the old gods; forgotten and forsaken, they have become nothing more than myth and legend. But all that is about to change. After the ruins of a vast, ancient civilization are discovered on the ocean floor, Coast Guard officers find a series of derelict ships drifting in the current--high-priced yachts and leaking fishing boats, all ransacked, splattered in blood, their crews missing and presumed dead.
And that's just the beginning.
Vacationing artist Larry Neuhaus has just witnessed a gruesome shark attack, a young couple torn apart right before his eyes ... at least, he thinks it was a shark. And when one of these victims turns out to be the only son of Roger Hays, the most powerful man in the country, things go from bad to worse. Now, to stop the carnage,Larry and his new-found friends must work together to unravel a mystery as old as time, and face an enemy as dark as the ocean depths.
Michael West is fresh from a great reception of his first Seventh Star Press release, the Harmony Indiana novel Cinema of Shadows. His other works include novels such as The Wide Game (Graveside Tales) and a single author collection, Skull Full of Kisses (Graveside Tales). He also has an array of short fiction published, spanning many magazines and anthologies, including appearances in Shroud Magazine, and the Apex Science Fiction and Horror Digest.

Poseidon's Children will be released in limited hardcover, trade paperback, and several eBook formats, such Kindle, iPad, the Nook, and Sony/Sony compatible eBook reading devices. The second novel in the series is slated for the spring of 2013, with other two planned titles to follow on an annual basis.
Updates and additional information can be obtained at the official site for Seventh Star Press, at www.seventhstarpress.com, or at the author's site, www.bymichaelwest.com

UPDATE
Follow THIS LINK to read an excerpt of Poseidon's Children.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Matchbooks still exist in the world of lighters. They have a history and they found their way into art. Dark Roasted Blend delivers another great post: Fascinating Matchbook Art


Sideways-Shooting Photographer Turns Worlds on End is the title of a post over at the WebUrbanist. Go, have a look. I have been impressed. You too?

Who loves to go to dentist? A dental surgery does not belong to the 1000 Places to See Before You Die. Anyway one should go to dentist regularly. Bad teeth can have an impact on the whole body. Today you can geht anesthesia. But in former times ..... You would like to get more information? Then I highly recommend to read The Painful History of Painless Dentistry over at Dr. Wendell A. Howe.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Where are all these awesome trailers? Same question like last week. Fortunately there are so many other things worth to share with you. Today you can follow me back in time. I know there are people who can't imagine an era before Photoshop. Watch the following video which shows non manipulated photos.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

There is a principle in writing called the rule of three. I think the following quote has nothing to do with this principle:


"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
Benjamin Franklin, US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Poseidon's Children sounds good. Ironically, the cover reminds me of the movie poster for Evil Dead.

mobile apps for business said...

There was no doubt that I wanted to get a copy of the seqel. I have been impressed

Mark Lawrence said...

I like the Stands a Shadow cover!

Just how long have you been reading Wise Man's Fear now? :)

C.M.Brown said...

Just love both of Matthew Perry's illustrations. I am drawn to the darker side of fantas novels. If the story is portrayed in the artwork, Poseidon's Children will be one I will put on my long list to read, it sounds intriguing.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

I remember that you told me recently that the cover reminds you of the Evil Dead movie poster.

I hope Poseidon's Children keeps what it promise.

ediFanoB said...

@mobile apps for business,

I'm sorry I do not really understand which book you mean.

ediFanoB said...

@Mark,

I checked my reading stats in GOODREADS.
I started to read Wise Man's Fear on October 8th 2011.

The book is far better than my reading progress ...

ediFanoB said...

@C.M.Brown,

Matthew Perry is a talented artist.

I will ask a t Seventh Star Press if an excerpt of Poseidon's Children will be available soon.

Li said...

There's enough info here to keep me busy reading all day!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has tons of books started at one time. I generally have a minimum of 3 going (history, biography and fiction) as well as an assortment of anthologies, light fiction, etc. Which doesn't even include Kindle stuff and a dozen periodicals. *Sigh* If only I could get by with 3 hours of sleep instead of 8!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Li,

thanks for stopping by.
It would be great if we could read books while we sleep ...

I tried to cope with four hours sleep per day but I failed. I need a minimum of six hours.

There are so many interesting things around us. I try to share some which I like and/or I'm interested in.

It seems reading is a passion for you and me.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great cover for Stands in Shadow... I have placed it in my to read list, just on the cover... and the fact you have given the series the 'thumbs up'.
There are not enough hours in the day to read, write, edit and continue with the basics of living.
At my age you can't do without a good night's sleep. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,

I like the Stands a Shadow cover too.

I think we both were happy if we could cope life with just two hours sleep per night :-) But that is a dream.
We can we do instead?

CARPE DIEM!

Mandzsmith22 said...

This is what I've been searching for. This are great Greek stories.
collection company

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...