Saturday, February 11, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1206

Hello and welcome to issue #1206 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

I'm back after travel and sickness. I would say my health is restored up to 98 % (still a bit cough left). Anyway I'm glad I'm back. In the past days I spent some time with the set up of my "new" (over four years old) notebook. Compared to my previous IBM ThinkPad R50, my new IBM ThinkPad T60 is like a rocket. I installed OpenSuse 12.1 as operating system with LXDE desktop. Of course I keep my R50 as an emergency substitute. The T60 fits perfectly for my purposes. I did not buy it. Every time when we get new notebooks at work we can get the previous one for a small amount of money.
And now to something completely different.


ENJOY READING


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Posting and reading
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Copies of books which found a new home
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Unusual Ebook Reader
  2. Win, win, win
  3. Do you like coffee?
  4. Do some sports: Shake your head

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The life of Charles Dickens

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Something about language

The Lighthouse

This is my real first post after three weeks. Most of my plans for February have been gone with the wind. The Bookbookistan News February 2012 post still needs to be written. I try to avoid to put pressure on myself.
I'm glad that I finally found time for reading beside all the sleeping.

I finished

Hearts of Smoke and Steam (327 p., November 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer
Steampunk, action, emotions and opened questions at the end. There must be definitely a third book - If not it would be a big disappointment for me.


In January 2012 I bought a digital copy of The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery by Arthur Conan Doyle [a Conan Doyle Estate, Ltd. authorized Kindle eBook edition].

I could not resist and read A Study in Scarlet.

What shall I say? Only a few words give you a hint that this is not an up to date written novel. I found it astonishing and amazing and most worth to read after 125 years (first published in 1887).
I really look forward to read more Sherlock Holmes stories.

I'm

- 450 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
NO PROGRESS

- 124 pages in Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder
NO PROGRESS

- 259 pages in Songs of the Dying Earth (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765320865] edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
NO PROGRESS

- 197 pages in Hawk Quest (2012, print and digital) by Robert Lyndon
The more I read the more I like it. There is action, background information, relationships, inner thoughts, revelation, hate revenge and, and, and, ....

- 60 pages in Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes.
What a great book! That is the way I like to read about history. Incredible how Orlando Figes presents all the facts and figures without boring the reader.



Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


It seems the less time I can spend for reading the more books I buy. The last week in sum copies of three books found a new shelter.

Let me start with the only electronic copy for this week:
Cyber Circus (ecopy, 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B005TLPD6G] by Kim Lakin-Smith.
"Going to the circus will never be the same again… Hellequin, last of the HawkEye military elite, is desperate to escape the legacy of Soul Food, the miraculous plant food that leeched the soil, destroyed his family, and instigated a bloody civil war. For a man awaiting the inevitable madness brought on by his enforced biomorph implant, there’s only one choice. Run away with the circus…
Drifting above a poisoned landscape, Cyber Circus and her exotic acrobats and bioengineered freaks bring a welcome splash of colour into folk’s drab lives. None more so than escaped courtesan turned-dancer Desirous Nim. When Nim’s freedom and her very life are threatened, Hellequin is forced to fight again. But, even united, will the weird troupe and their strange skills be enough to save Nim and keep their home aloft? That’s assuming, of course, that Zan City’s Blood Worms, mute stowaways, or the swarms don’t manage to bring them down first…
Welcome to the greatest show on Sore Earth!" [Source]
The blurb sounds like a lot of fun. I could not resist to buy a copy.

It is now secret that I like series. And when it comes the fifth respectively final book in a trilogy I try to avoid to post blurbs. In case you would like to get more information about the book then just click on the cover.


Gates of Rome (2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0141336497] by Alex Scarrow
(Fifth book in the TimeRiders series. I read all the books so far and reviewed the first three books. It is a great series about time traveling. Also adults can enjoy this series.)




The Sacred Band (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0307739605] by David Anthony Durham. This is the third and final book in the Acacia trilogy.
So far I read book one in German and liked it; not sure when to read book two and three).


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I must we (my wife and me) are quite happy with our ebook reader. What would you think about a reader which shows only one or two lines at a time? You can't imagine that? Then you should have a look at following video.

To be honest, that looks more like rolling a cigarette than reading.


Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder is one of my current reads.
Would you like to win a copy? Then head over to Pat's Fantasy Hotlist:




Do you like coffee? Then you will enjoy the Coffee Art & Style Extravaganza post over at Dark Roasted Blend.

I promised you a gym lesson. If you want to shake your head then have a look at Never Give Up! Crazy Logistics, Part 12 over at Dark Roasted Blend.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Where are all these awesome trailers? I do not know where they hide themselves. So I can't present you one. Instead I show you a cartoon in honor of the famous Charles Dickens. It seems a lot og blogs celebrate his 200th birthday and this is my contribution.


Every time when Charles Dickens comes up in my mind I see following cover in front of my eyes:
Click on the pic to read my review.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think you will understand why it must be Charles Dickens this week.


"We need never be ashamed of our tears.
Charles Dickens, Great Expectations, English novelist (1812 - 1870)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you have a new computer. New to you anyway. My wife has never had a new computer as she gets my old one whenever I upgrade.
I'll look for that Sherlock Holmes book. I downloaded a few last year and really enjoyed them. Been a while since I read Doyle.
And I can think of a couple other things that round eReader resembles, but I won't repeat them here!

Liviu said...

Hawk Quest sounds interesting - I plan to get a copy myself as I am in the mood for such; I also plan to get seriously into Cyber Circus soon as I want some weird/dark sf also.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Pleased to know you are feeling better and have a new computer,
Most enjoyable post to read.

Yvonne.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

I must say, I'm quite happy with the old notebooks from work. Together with all the software and operating system for free it fits perfectly for my purpose.

I never expected that I would like the original Sherlock Holmes stories that much.

The next step after the round eReader will be a plug in our head ....

ediFanoB said...

Liviu,

I bought Hawk Quest based on a review and a guest post over at Falcata Times.
After reading one third of the book I can say it delivers everything promised in the review. And by the way author Robert Lyndon is writing a sequel to Hawk Quest ...

ediFanoB said...

Yvonne,

thank you for your kind words. It does not make fun to read when you are coughing and sneezing.

Have a great week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...