Saturday, January 14, 2012

Edi's Weekend Wave #1202

Hello and welcome to issue #1202 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I like to get up early in the morning but I don't like it when it is still dark outside. Do you know the feeling when you get up full of energy, making plans for the day and when you come home from work you fall asleep on the sofa? That nearly describe most of my last week. To my surprise I found time to write a review. Even I think I dreamed most of it. But when I opened my blog today I saw the review. Maybe I got some support from edifanossa ...
Don't forget to come back on Sunday, January 15th 2012.

ENJOY READING


Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading list and reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. An unexpected review copy
  2. An accepted e-copy for review
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Tor.com 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards
  2. Books unread, interviews ahead
  3. Things you can't do with an e-book
  4. Colors and Spirals
  5. Skyrim Diseases

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. History on Youtube: Crimean War

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Another true word

The Lighthouse

It seems last week I used the time between 24:00 and 00:00 to read in sum 504 pages. I still in the search of a reading rhythm.

I'm

- 450 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
A progress of50 pagesis not that bad. From Monday to Friday I read every morning 10 pages before I went to work.

- 124 pages in Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder
Time plays a role ... an excellent read

- 101 pages in Hearts of Smoke and Steam (327 p., November 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer
A lot of action ...

- 330 pages in The Burning Sky (ecopy, 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B004MDLL9K] by Joseph Robert Lewis
I expect to finish the book next week. good stuff.

- 259 pages in Songs of the Dying Earth (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765320865] edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
I read following stories
- Inescapable by Mike Resnick
- Abrizonde by Walter Jon Williams
- The Traditions of Karzh by Paula Volsky
- The Final Quest Of The Wizard Sarnod by Jeff Vandermeer
- The Green Bird by Kage Baker

After my disappointment with the first four stories. I can tell you I liked the five stories I read last week a lot. My top story so far is The Traditions of Karzh by Paula Volsky followed by The Green Bird by Kage Baker and Abrizonde by Walter Jon Williams. 13 stories left ...

- 215 pages in The Burning Sky (ecopy, 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B004MDLL9K] by Joseph Robert Lewis
This another great steampunk novel. It is great to see how many good books are available which are not published by a publisher.

- 111 pages in Hawk Quest (2012, print and digital) by Robert Lyndon
I could not stay away. What a great read!

Finally I made the decision that I will take our SONY Reader with me on my business trip to Rome,Italy (25th -29th January 2012). I have a lot of interesting books stored on the reader. Amongst others
- Giant Thief (UK, January 31st 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0857662118] by David Tallerman
- Empire State (448p., pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661937] by Adam Christopher.



Attention! Attention!
There will be something special on this blog
from Sunday, January 15th to Friday, January 20th.

Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

To my surprise Tor/Forge.com (a big thank you goes over the pond) sent me a review copy of Tribulations (mmpb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765365583] by Ken Schufeldt
"An asteroid storm has obliterated the Earth. Billy and Linda West have built enough space-going arks to save a small number of people who now roam the void in search of a new home.
Desperate to find a safe haven, Billy makes a dangerous attempt to exceed the speed of light. When his plans go terribly wrong, the Wests’ severely-damaged ship is separated from the fleet and left drifting near a mysterious planet.
This world’s conditions are hospitable—but its inhabitants are not. Suddenly the Wests and their fellow survivors are caught in the middle of an ancient war between two brutal nations. Faced with horrific dangers, they are forced to choose a side just to survive." [Source]
The blurb did not swept me off my feet. Then I found three one star reviews on Amazon.com. I read them.
Did anyone of you read Tribulations by Ken Schufeldt and can give me a thumps up/down?
At the moment I do not want to read the book.

London 1666. You know what happened? Yes, it was the year of the Great Fire. On Friday I received a review request.
London 1666 was for me like resistance is futile!

After a few mails to and fro I could download a digital copy of The Last Seal (2011) by Richard Denning.
"September 1666: a struggle between two secret societies threatens to destroy London. Three hundred years previously the Praesidum defeated and incarcerated a demon beneath the city. Now the Liberati aim to release it and gain its power for themselves.
Meanwhile agents of the King are seeking four suspected foreign spies who are, in reality, disparate and unlikely heroes: GABRIEL, the sole remaining member of the Praesidum, crippled by his fear of failure; FREYA, a young thief orphaned by the Great Plague, driven by poverty and self-interest; TOBIAS, a cynical physician, obsessed by his desire for vengeance against the Liberati cavalier who killed his father, and finally and most vitally, BEN, a Westminster schoolboy, whose guilt over his parents’ death threatens to destroy him.
Thrown together by chance when Ben finds an ancient scroll revealing the location of arcane seals that bind the demon beneath London, the story launches into a battle between the Liberati and Praesidium, a battle which takes place within the Great Fire of London. These four must overcome their personal problems and work together if they are to foil the plans of the Liberati, protect the city and gain the means to defeat the demon." [Source]
There is a lot of positive feedback on GOODREADS. Anyway you should know that this is a YA novel. But Richard Denning promised me that it is also interesting for adults. Time will tell.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

As I wrote some time ago, my wife and I share a SONY PRS-T1 Reader and it works well maybe too well because it seems we have been infected with the eBook buy fever. But that is not the reason why I want to talk about eReader and eBooks. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how you could make your own eBooks for different eReaders? You do not need it? Wouldn't it be great to surprise your friends with your own electronic private cook and bake book? It is easier as you may think. If you would like to do that, then I hig

The Tor.com 2011 Readers’ Choice Awards is open until 11:59 PM Friday, January 20th, 2012. By leaving a comment you can vote for your 2012 favorites in following categories:
Best Novel, Best Short Fiction, Best Comic, Best Book Cover.
You find my votes at comment 322. I voted as followed:

Best Novel
Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Best Book Cover
The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder (Coverart by John Sullivan)

Best Short Story
An Island Sojourn By Stephen Zimmer

In the meantime more than 600 people posted their votes. There is also a daily post showing the current standing. You find all posts related to the 2011 award when you follow THIS LINK.


Like me a lot of people have unread books on their shelves. I like to read interviews with authors of books which rest unread on my shelf. It can happen that I change my reading plans after reading such a review.
This week I found interviews with two authors where I received digital review copies.
End of January 2012 David Tallerman's debut novel Giant Thief (UK, January 31st 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0857662118] will be available in stores.
You find the latest interview with David Tallerman's over at The Mad Hatter's Bookshelf & Book Review.

Anyway don't forget to visit David Tallerman's blog. He likes visitors as much as every blogger does.

Since I read the interview I know that the second book -Crown Thief - will be published in September 2012.

"The stunning superhero-noir fantasy thriller set in the other New York " [Source] has been published a couple of days ago.
Like the book before it is a debut novel.
Sorry! I talk about Empire State (448p., pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661937] by Adam Christopher.

There is a new and detailed interview with Adam Christopher available over at The Ranting Dragon.


If you visit my blog regularly then you will know that I did not any interviews so far due to several reasons. That will be one of the 2012 challenges for me.

I must admit that I like our SONY Reader a lot. But that does not mean I lost my love for real books. There are a lot of things which you can't do with digital copies. I'm sure that some of you have seen the following video on other blogs. It delivers in an impressive way The Joy of Books which is at the same time the title of the video.



Time for a bit of art.
When you own a house you may have the wish to change the colors adequate to the season. In reality nobody is doing that because it is expensive. But there is an interesting way to do that without painting. Follow THIS LINK where you can see where I got the idea from. If I would tell you the title of the post it would take away the joy.

Spirals. You paint them during boring telephone conferences and meetings. I'm sure your spirals look similar like my spirals. But there are people who paint different spirals. The result is absolutely incredible. You want to be dumbfounded? Then have a look at




SKYRIM is such an awesome game. I know that some of you play it too. You know that there are diseases in the game. I found an excellent post with detailed descriptions of each of the diseases. Have a look at Skyrim Diseases.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

There are no new trailers of the movies I would like to see in 2012. It did not take long and I had another idea what I would like to show you instead of movie trailers.

The following videos are related to the following two books:
Crimea (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141013503] by Orlando Figes and Into the Valley of Death (pb, 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0241954102] by A. L. Berridge. Please read BookBookistan News January 2012 for details.
Even I watched only the first part so far, I find following documentation impressive and interesting. Maybe it is also interesting for you. The Valley of Death is mentioned at 2:40 in the first video!

The Crimean War - Episode 1


The Crimean War - Episode 2


The Crimean War - Episode 3



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Here is another one to think about. Is it true? Does it make sense?

"We think in generalities, but we live in detail.
Alfred North Whitehead, English mathematician & philosopher (1861 - 1947)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for the link to the Skyrim disease! Yes, I am deep into the game now. I was even a werewolf for a while, but not any more. So addictive...

ediFanoB said...

Alex, we are also deep in the game.

Did you enjoy to be a werewolf? My wife is interested in.

It is indeed so addictive. Every evening I have to decide between play Skyrim and read a book ...
In the end sleep is the loser ...

RaveAir said...

I still envy with you about you have time to play Skyrim. :P

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

to play Skyrim means less sleep. So I can't do it every day :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...