Sunday, January 01, 2012

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: Welcome 2012

Welcome 2012!

First of all I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR wherever you are. I hope you have had a pleasant start into 2012. The day is dawning and as we soon will glide into our daily business I would like to share some thoughts and news with you.

Do you have any plans for the time after December 21, 2012? I think it depends on what you believe.

Anyway I do not want to write or even think about end of world scenarios on the dawn of the first day in 2012.

I decided against a New Year Resolution because most of the time they are not worth the time you spend for writing them.

Nevertheless I thought about ways to improve my blog, my reviews, my reading and in a more general way how I would like to spend time beside work in a satisfying way.

As I wrote yesterday it is impossible for me to write full reviews for every book I read.
So far I left sparsely comments over at GOODREADS.
From now on I want to do something new.
I asked myself what I would expect as additional information beside author, title, series, blurb, publishing date, number of pages, ISBN, format, cover. I would like to know the genre (sf, crime and so on), characters, style, complexity, setting, likes/dislikes, recommendation.
It should be no longer than a comment and shorter than a review. A length of 300 to 350 words seems appropriate. The name of my new format will be edshort which is a new artificial word. I derived it from following two words: , EDIfanob, comMENT = EDIMENT.
I will also add anew page to my blog where you get an overview of my ediments.

In the first quarter of 2012 I will check all my outstanding reviews and decide which book will get a review or an ediment. By end of 2012 all books I read in 2011 and 2012 should be connected either with an ediment or a review.

I hope that will work as I expect. By the way in case you need once a while a tool to count words online I recommend to have a look at Word Count Tool.

I also decided to continue to post my reading progress in number of pages because it is helpful for me.

So far I know two periods of time where I do not have time to write actual posts. I work on a solution for that.

January 25th to 29th - Business trip Italy
April 29th to May 13th - Holiday without phone and computer

Will there be activities on the blog beside the regularly weekend post?
Yes. Do I want to reveal details? I think it is possible to let you have a look in my crystal ball.

Every first Sunday in a month will be the date for a new post series. My dear old friend edifanossa a former Bookbookistian travel book keeper agreed to provide me with priceless information from his mysterious sources. Hope you will like him. Give him a warm welcome on January 8th when he presents the first issue of the Bookbookistan News.

Will you tell as more? Not at the moment. I will do it in time.

That is all for today. Come back tomorrow when I will talk about A&P Waiting.

Have a great day and

ENJOY READING!
[Number of words: 555]

19 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy New year!

Last year I think the only thing I said as far as a goal was to post on my blog at least once a week. I didn't meet that goal, but I did okay. :)

Hope your 2012 is awesome!

Laura said...

Good resolution! I am going to try to finish reviewing all my favourite books on my goodreads and my blog, too!

http://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com/

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Happy New Year, wonderful post.

Yvonne.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Happy New Year, wonderful post.

Yvonne.

RaveAir said...

Happy New Year!

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Kimberly!

I think non blogger can't imagine what it means to post once a week.
All the time which is needed for research and phrasing...

I'm sure you will delight your readers with great posts.

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Laura!

I visited your blog. Seems you like steampunk...

I like to read steampunk novels.

ediFanoB said...

Thank you so much Yvonne.

I feel honored by your visits.

ediFanoB said...

Same to you RaveAir!

What is your first read in 2012?
I started with The Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon by Mark Hodder.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Ediments! I like it. Looking forward to the changes and all you have in store for 2012.

RaveAir said...

First I'd like to finish A Dance with Dragons. Then or parallel a Hungarian book from a hungarian writter (http://www.libri.hu/konyv/mindenki-maskepp-egyforma.html).

And then this one: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3581.Sherlock_Holmes

or this one: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8855321-leviathan-wakes

And I have many-many plans with other books too.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I have had some "inspirational" hours and I'm also busy preparing posts before I return to work next week.

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

as you know from my posts I read A Dance with Dragons and Leviathan Wakes.


Sherlock Holmes .... a coincidence? You will understand when you will read my next post tomorrow.

I hope you still remember my offer to write a book post on my blog. I do not want to put pressure on you. Sherlock Holmes would be a great topic.

RaveAir said...

ediFanoB:
Yes, I know. Your and an other blogger post gave me the idea of reading the Leviathan Wakes. I have very big expectations. :)

Last summer I read some short Sherlock Holmes novells, because I'm always a big fan of the stories of the famous detective.

And yes... I still remember your offer. This will of my other aim in this year.

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

you are guilty! After your previous comment I checked especially the Sherlock Holmes link.
And then I opened the Kindle-Shop and found this one
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10397403-the-complete-sherlock-holmes-tales-of-terror-and-mystery

I could not believe the price 89 cent (EUR)! I bought it!

Whenever you have something ready just let me know :-)

RaveAir said...

I have this one in Hungarian: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Complete-Sherlock-Holmes/dp/0140056947

This book is splitted two parts because the usual Hungarian translation means the original English text multiplied by 1,2-1,3.

Last summer I finishd two books written by ACD: http://raveair.blogspot.com/search?q=doyle

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

it is the same when you translate books from English to German.

So you know more Sherlock Holmes stories than I do. I tried to translate your posts with google translator but the result was not that good.

RaveAir said...

So, you have never read any SH stories yet?

Be prepaired, because it has a strange taste. The stories mainly based on the talks of Watson and Holmes, but we mostly follow the way of the sidekick.

The detective likes to work alone to find the trail, the suspect, etc. But he likes to show Watson and the others his superioty, his mastermind.

Unfortunatelly the writter like to hide the clues and these were remain untold till Sherlock share with us. It's a little bit annoying...

In nutshell (and based on the read stories) the Sherlock Holmes stories are quite well, but usually had a feeling something had missing.

By the way... Have you seen the first season of the BBC miniseries Sherlock? It's quite interesting because the SH stories place take nowdays. Sherlock uses a cell phone, he likes to send text messages, etc.

Yesterday started the second season on BBC, and based on my friends opionion the first part of the three episode was really great! I can't wait to watch it!

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

I think I'm not the only one who never read a SH story. A lot of people know SH from cinema or TV.

Luckily German TV aired the first season of the BBC SH miniseries. I liked it a lot.

This SH acts a lot more like the one originally described.

I do not expect stories looking like the Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downey Jr.

Now I even more want to read Sherlock Holmes stories.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...