Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: A&P Waiting Part Two

A&P Waiting, what a strange title for a post.

I was thinking about how to express that I wait for books which I would like to read and that there are books which wait to be read by me.

Today I would like talk about a few books are waiting for me. I buy and get more books than I can read. The leads to the situation that books slowly move into the back part of the book shelf. I decide between review copies I receive and books I buy on my own. To be honest I buy most of the books by my own. Of course it is great when you receive a review copy. But it is also a burden. I feel a kind of pressure to give those books a higher priority. But in the end I decide what I would like to read next.

Last year I received following three review copies ( two hardcover and one paperback). I was really interested in to read them but to whatever reason I failed. And the did not appear in my books to read until end of 2011 list. I'm sure a lot of you will know at least one of these books.
Nevertheless to write about these books is a like an appetizer for me. I present you the books in no specific order.

While I was thinking about this post I remembered, that last year I received a big fat book from Tor/Forge.com.
Songs of the Dying Earth (2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0765320865] edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois.
"Danny North knew from early childhood that his family was different, and that he was different from them. While his cousins were learning how to create the things that commoners called fairies, ghosts, golems, trolls, werewolves, and other such miracles that were the heritage of the North family, Danny worried that he would never show a talent, never form an outself.
He grew up in the rambling old house, filled with dozens of cousins, and aunts and uncles, all ruled by his father. Their home was isolated in the mountains of western Virginia, far from town, far from schools, far from other people.
There are many secrets in the House, and many rules that Danny must follow. There is a secret library with only a few dozen books, and none of them in English — but Danny and his cousins are expected to become fluent in the language of the books. While Danny’s cousins are free to create magic whenever they like, they must never do it where outsiders might see.
Unfortunately, there are some secrets kept from Danny as well. And that will lead to disaster for the North family." [Inside of the book cover]
To whatever reason it found a way to be buried under a huge pile of books. But in the past days I received a mental message: "Dig me out! Dig me out! Dig me out!" Then I searched for reviews and found one over at Only The Best Sci-F/Fantasy which I contributed in former times. Good friend Bryce L. delivered an awesome and terribly convincing review in three parts (one two three)!! I understood the message and will read the 24 stories.


In February 2010 I reviewed Spellwright by Blake Charlton. I really liked it. And I definitely wanted to read the next book in the series. somehow I lost track. I must have been in the for me busy 2011 autumn period when I got a review copy of Spellbound (hc, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978- 076531728-5]. I checked my book history list where I note down every book I receive and could not find an entry forSpellbound. In this case I did not receive a mental message. it was not necessary because Spellbound was at them same place as Songs of the Dying Earth. Now I want to read and review before the publishing date of the forthcoming Spellwright.
"Francesca DeVega is a healer in the city of Avel, composing magical sentences that close wounds and disspell curses, but her life is thrown into chaos when a newly dead patient sits up and tells her that she must flee the infirmary or face a fate worse than death. Now Francesca is in the middle of a game she doesn’t understand—one that ties her to the notorious rogue wizard Nicodemus Weal and brings her face-to-face with demons, demigods, and a man she hoped never to see again.
It has been ten years since Nicodemus Weal escaped the Starhaven Academy, where he was considered disabled and useless, where he battled the demon who stole his birthright and murdered his friends. Unable to use the magical languages of his own people, Nico has honed his skills in the dark Chthonic languages, readying himself for his next encounter with the demon. But there are complications: his mentor suffers from an incurable curse, his half-sister’s agents are hunting him, and he’s still not sure what part Francesca DeVega will play. He certainly doesn’t know what to make of Francesca herself…." [Source]

The third and last review copy for today found its way to my late in December 2011 as I reported on December 28th 2011. There was no more time to read it. But I knew for sure that I will read it early in January 2012 and therefore I did not put it on a shelf. lays right beside my laptop. So I can't forget it. Do you know now about which book I talk? After reading all the best of post on other blogs I hardly remember what I posted last week. Therefore you get the cover and the blurb again.
"Sir Dennis Darby has been murdered, the Automaton has been destroyed, and Sarah Stanton has turned her back on a life of privilege and comfort to try and find her way in the unforgiving streets of New York. But Lord Eschaton, the villain behind all these events, isn’t finished with her yet. His plans to bring his apocalyptic vision of the future to the world are moving forward, but to complete his scheme he needs the clockwork heart that Sarah still holds.
But she has her own plans for the Automaton’s clockwork heart—Sarah is trying to rebuild her mechanical friend, and when she is attacked by the Children of Eschaton, the man who comes to her rescue may be the one to make her dreams come true. Emelio Armando is a genius inventor who had hoped to leave his troubles behind when he and his sister left Italy for a life of anonymity in the New World. Now he finds himself falling in love with the fallen society girl, but he is rapidly discovering just how powerful the forces of villainy aligned against her are, and that fulfilling her desires means opening the door to a world of danger that could destroy everything he has built.
The Society of Steam takes place in a Victorian New York powered by the discovery of Fortified Steam, a substance that allows ordinary men to wield extraordinary abilities and grants powers that can corrupt gentlemen of great moral strength. The secret behind this amazing substance is something that wicked brutes will gladly kill for, and one that Sarah must try and protect, no matter what the cost." [Source]
Hearts of Smoke and Steam (327 p., November 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer is the second and final book in The Society of Steam duology.
I liked the first part - The Falling Machine - a lot which I tried to express in my review from May 2011.


Now you know three more books from my 2012 to read list.

ENJOY READING

2 comments:

RaveAir said...

Songs of the Dying Earth is on my reading list too... along with the Warriors edited by GRRM.

It's funny and sad at the same time, my daughter - accidentally, NOT intentionally - poured some water to the thick tome of the Warriors. Now, it has a very strange colour and from.

The hardcover of it has redish tone, and it coloured many of the pages.

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

that happens when you have children.
I know it is annoying but as long as the book is readable ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...