Saturday, December 31, 2011

XCIX of XCIX in MMXI - Bye-Bye 2011

Welcome to
XCIX of XCIX in MMXI - Bye-Bye 2011

This is definitely the last post in 2011. In the past days I delivered you several posts. Did I surprise you with my top 15 reads in 2011? Compared to other blogs the list looks different. Maybe I could animate you to read one of these books.

On January 1st 2011 I posted:

"Did you ever think about how you spend an average day? How much time can you spend for reading?
I estimate I can spend an average of two hours per day for reading within a year.
One year = 365 days
Two hours reading per day multiplied by 365 days equals 730 hours
I'm not the fastest reader. My limit is around 35 pages per hour.
730 hours multiplied by 35 pages equals 25550 pages

25550 pages mean how many books? It is impossible to say because the umber of pages per book differ a lot.
Let's assume an average of 375 pages per book.
Then I would read 25550 pages divided by 375 pages = 68 books - never read so many books within one year.
Anyway it does not matter how many books ..... I'm totally nosy how many pages I will read in 2011.
You can follow my progress. I added the information in the right column of the blog. It will be updated weekly."
As far as I can see I delivered my weekly progress which is a satisfying result at the end of a year.

But there is something which I'm really, really proud of: I read in sum 26627 pages in 2011!!
I have had doubts when I posted the text above. In case you followed my blog throughout the year you know my reading progress has been like roller coaster.
To be honest I did it without pressure and I still enjoy reading.

And what will I do in 2012? You will find the answer in the first 2012 post.

I also learned several things like:
- be really careful with your promises; you never know what will happen tomorrow.

- It is possible to keep a blog alive with one regularly post per week for a certain period of time.

- It is impossible for me to write a full review for every book I read. That is sad for authors and readers. But everything else as to be honest with myself in this case would be a mirage.

- An eReader is boon and bane at once. Anyway I like the eReader which I share with my wife.

- Nobody can force you to read a book you do not like.

- I do not easily accept book recommendations. I prefer to choose on my own.

- Try new things; gain experience; give your blog an individual touch.

- Be kind to your readers. If you get feedback in form of a comment let you readers know you read the comments.

I think that is not bad for one year. Most important will be the consequences. And yes, there will be a few. Don't worry, I will be back in 2012.

As in previous years there have been up and downs in 2011.

On the downside is the loss of a highly appreciated colleague after a heart attack. He was just 57. I can tell you that you start to think about your way of life when you are only a few years younger.

But there have been also good things.
My wife and I have had our best holiday ever. We are still in love after more than 20 years of marriage. I can't imagine what I would do without her.

She gave me the power and Alex J. Cavanaugh forced me in a kind way to write a guest post which in return offered me an unexpected positive feedback.

I think that should be enough.
What is the best solution to end the last post of a book blog? Any ideas? I don't know what you would do. Therefore you have cope with my solution.

"Babylon Steel, ex-sword-for-hire, ex... other things, runs the Red Lantern, the best brothel in the city. She's got elves using sex magic upstairs, S&M in the basement and a large green troll cooking breakfast in the kitchen, and she'd love you to visit,except...
She's not having a good week. The Vessels of Purity are protesting against brothels, girls are disappearing, and if she can't pay her taxes, Babylon's going tolose the Lantern. She'd given up the mercenary life, but when the mysterious DaraskFain pays her to find a missing heiress, she has to take the job. And then her past starts to catch up with her in other, more dangerous ways." [Back of the book]
This is no joke. To be honest I never expected I would buy a copy of a book about someone who runs a brothel; about sex and sexuality in a fantasy setting.

Want to know what the author is saying about her book:
"I never expected that I would write about someone who runs a brothel; about sex and sexuality in a fantasy setting. Heavens, I wasn't even brought up to think about such things in any setting. But there. There's probably some apt saying about this, and if I ever find it, I shall quote it." [Source]

Sounds similar. So I received my copy on December 29th. When will you get your copy of Babylon Steel (544p., pb, 2011] [ISBN-13: 978-1907992384] by Gaie Sebold.

And this is the cover:


I know I should no make any promises but this book definitely scream for a review.
Maybe I should tell you that is Gaie Sebold a client of literary agent John Jarrold ...


See you in 2012!

4 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Happy New Year, hope it;s a healthy one for you,

Yvonne.

ediFanoB said...

Yvonne,

thank you so much for your visits.

I hope 2012 will be a successful and enjoyable year for you.
First and foremost I hope you will stay healthy.

Happy New Year

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have followed your blog all year long and watched the progress as you read - and read and read and read!
Again, really glad I prodded you to do the guest spot. Thanks for gracing the Ninja Army with your words.
My wife is my source of strength, and has been for over twenty years as well.
I'm very sorry for the passing of your friend. Fifty-seven is far too young.
Happy New Year, my friend, and may 2012 bring many blessings!

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

you are a true follower! Thank you for that. And you are as much a true friend as it is virtual possible.
SometimesI need a kick to do things.

It seems we both belong to the lucky men who married the right woman.

May 2012 deliver the four of us unforgettable hours.
Greetings to your wife and
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...