Saturday, December 24, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1152

Hello and welcome to issue #1152 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Today is December 24th and that means this is the Christmas edition of the Weekend Wave.
It is a special day for special words and emotions. Don't worry, that will not end in a long and boring speech. Let me pull it altogether in just one sentence:

I wish all of you and your dear and near ones
a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I feel well after two days of rest. Rest does not mean I slept most of the time. Just the opposite. I played Skyrim. I baked cookies for my wife. We did our weekly shopping. I discovered two new bands for me on Youtube. Wrote some special Christmas mails. And now I write this post.

ENJOY READING .... Whenever you find time for it



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress - Success
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. My first purchased ebooks
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Literary landscapes

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. A Prequel
  2. Precious, my Precious
  3. The end of a story

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms A true word

The Lighthouse

Dear readers,

I did it, I did it, I did it. I read 25550 pages within one year. I crossed the line in the past week.
Anyway it feels good. I crossed the line because I read a book which has been on my to read list but not on my list for the last two weeks.


I finished

- Debris (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661548] by Jo Anderton.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"
I own an electronic review copy which means "food" for our eReader. I started to read and I could not stop.I read the book in a few days. It has something special.
I'm not sure how to describe it. It is compelling. I did not expect that after reading the blurb.
Anyway it was a fascinating read. Even there are a few confusing parts I gave five stars.
I look forward to read the next book in the series.
"



I'm

- 329 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
Now progress. A book on my eReader kept me away form this real copy.

- 144 pages in - A Place called Armageddon by C C Humphreys
A slight progress.

And this is what I would like to do in the seven remaining days in 2011.
- Finish reading of The Wise Man's Fear and A Place called Armageddon
- My big fat end of the year post - Maybe I will split it
- One more review from my review back log
- Continue to play Skyrim
- Cinema: Sherlock Holmes 2
- To think about what I want to do in 2012 regarding reading and blogging

I think that should be enough ....




Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Yesterday evening I bought my first three eBooks. To be more precise I bougt three short stories.

It seems I forgot to inform you about interesting news from Seventh Star Press.

"December 12, 2011
Seventh Star Press Proudly Announces New Seventh Star Singles eBook Series

Seventh Star Press is proud to introduce Seventh Star Singles, an exciting new eBook series that represents a creative approach to eBook publishing. The debut of the new line kicks off with brand new tales from sword and sorcery/fantasy author Steven L. Shrewsbury, and epic fantasy/urban fantasy author Stephen Zimmer. Best of all, the new eBook short stories are all priced at just 99 cents.

Seventh Star Singles offer more for fans of the authors' novel series, as well as being stand-alone stories. The short stories are set in the worlds that the authors' novels with Seventh Star Press are based. For example, readers who came to know Gorias La Gaul in Steven Shrewsbury's Thrall will now be able to go on more adventures with Gorias in the Blood and Steel: Legends of La Gaul short stories included in the Seventh Star Singles line. Similarly, fans of Stephen Zimmer's Fires in Eden series and Rising Dawn Saga will get to explore more of those worlds in his Chronicles of Ave and Annals of the Rising Dawn short story collections for this new line.

"I was the instigator of the new Seventh Star Singles, as I wanted a way for readers of my series to explore more of my worlds in a way that was also accessible to new readers," Stephen Zimmer commented. "They are entirely stand-alone stories, but provide all kinds of background, further depth, and perhaps even some foreshadowing that all relate to the novel series. They have been a blast to develop, as there are so many stories to be told from these worlds that can't be addressed in the plotlines of the Fires in Eden and Rising Dawn Saga novels. I'm really excited that Steven Shrewsbury stepped forward to develop a Gorias La Gaul collection. Any fan of Robert E. Howard is bound to love Steven's work and this new series opens things wide for him to write all kinds of Gorias adventures! "

Steven Shrewsbury's collection Blood and Steel: Legends of La Gaul starts off with two new Gorias La Gaul tales, Author and Finisher of Our Flesh, and Insurmountable. Stephen Zimmer has three contributions to the Chronicles of Ave collection, Into Glory Ride, Land of Shadow, and Lion Heart. Stephen has one story for the Annals of the Rising Dawn, Temples Rising.

A new page on the Seventh Star Press website gives full synopsis and availability on the various story collections. The page can be found at: http://seventhstarpress.com/documents/seventh_star_singles.html

Many new titles are planned in the series in 2012, to be released on a monthly basis alongside the scheduled novel releases."

As you may know I'm a big fan of Stephen Zimmer's Fires in Eden series.
The series started with Crown of Vengeance (2009) [ISBN-13: 978-0983108627]. To read my review follow this link.
I also reviewed Dream of Legends (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0983108627] which is the second book in the Fires in Eden series. To read my review follow this link.

And yesterday evening I could no longer withstand and bought the first three available Fires in Eden short stories.

I can't present you covers because there are non. But I hope title and blurb gives you an impression. I appreciate to get more information about the series beside the full books.

Into Glory Ride [Kindle Link, just 99 cents]
"In this short story from the Chronicles of Ave collection, you are invited into Trogen lands. A brave young warrior of the Sea Wolf clan, Marragesh, sights the approach of an Elven raid while on a scouting foray along the cliffs of the northern coast.
Long under the shadow of the Elves, the Trogens have quietly been preparing a new development to aid in the defense of their lands. As the Elven fleet nears their land, brimming with sky steeds and warriors, a momentous choice must be made that has major implications for the Trogen clans." [Source]

Land of Shadow [Kindle Link, just 99 cents]
"In this short story from the Chronicles of Ave collection, the reader is invited to take an adventure into the Shadowlands. When a band of hardened Avanoran mercenaries take up an offer to search out a favorable site for a fortress, they are well aware of the warnings about the Shadowlands. Even a large, armed group of warriors is not safe, however, as the knight Godfrey finds out during a harrowing journey." [Source]

Lion Heart [Kindle Link, just 99 cents]
"In this short story from the Chronicles of Ave collection, the reader is invited to explore the lands of the Amazu and meet Sigananda, one of their greatest, legendary warriors. In this story, Sigananda is shown as a young man, just coming of age. When powerful Wizards threaten the Amazu people, Sigananda is sent on a journey that will test his resolve and courage. At ease against opponents of flesh and blood, he must contend with powers that transcend the laws of the physical world." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Literary landscapes - that sounds interesting. What is your imagination of literary landscapes?
I'm sure it will differ from what you can see over at then WebUrbanist. Enjoy the

Literary Landscapes: Carved Books by Guy Laramee


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Today I show you three trailers. Two of the movies I definitely want to see. Let me start with the one which left me indecisive after watching the trailer.

I still remember when I met officer Ellen Ripley for the first time ..... in cinema. And in 2012 - 33 years after the first Alien movie - it is up to Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) to face the aliens in the prequel Prometheus. I did not build up my mind abou tPrometheus yet. But starring Noomi Rapace as one of the main characters is definitely a plus.Before I show you the trailer let talk Noomi Rapace on her Prometheus character.


And this is the Prometheus trailer ....



What comes up in your mind when you hear the words "MY PRECIOUS"??
For me it means three unforgettable movies. But that will change in 2012. Gollum returns to screen. But not alone. I can't believe that I have to wait a whole year until The Hobbit: An unexpected Journey will hit the cinemas. I'm pretty sure that we will get some trailers in the meantime. And this is the first one.



The last trailer for today marks the end of a legend. With The Dark Knight Rises Christopher Nolan delivers the final part in his Dark Knight trilogy.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Christmas! Do you expect Christmas related quotes? Then I must disappoint you. I found a quote which I liked so much that I stopped research. have a look ...

"Anger is the feeling that makes your mouth work faster than your mind.
Evan Esar, American Humorist (1899 - 1995)

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi, you and your wife have a wonderful Christmas tomorrow! (And my day will involve a couple hours of Skyrim, as I know it's under the tree.) You've already begun my Christmas weekend on a high note with your most incredible review. Thank you and Christmas blessings to you, my friend.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful post, may you have a Happy Christmas and a great 2012.

Yvonne.

RaveAir said...

I wish you a Merry Christmast (I hope it was) and a Happy New Year.

Do you have new aim to the new year? How many (e-book) pages would you like to read?

I'd like to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie but unfortunatelly the Hungarian premier of the film will be somewhere January. :( So, I have to wait.

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

thank you. Skyrim is awesome. I played around 100 hours so far and there are still som any place I did not visit and so many quests I did not finish.
My wife, my daughter and I love Skyrim.

ediFanoB said...

Yvonne,

thank you very much.

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

thank you. I'm still thinking about a new aim.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Christmas has been hectic. No time to even get online... Now I have been given Skyrim, I am about to be immersed in a new world. Can't wait. :)
I hope you have enjoyed a wonderful Christmas and the new year 2012 brings all the health, happiness and reading success you want.
Take care and enjoy the holidays.

ediFanoB said...

@Rosalie,

I have had a very relaxed Christmas and did not spend much time online.

I love Skyrim because it offers so many opportunities. Even after more than 100 hours I still have not visited and discovered all the towns. Hope you will like it.
I wish you a healthy, successful and enjoyable 2012.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...