Saturday, December 17, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1151

Hello and welcome to issue #1151 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
The pendulum is moving. Less time at work and more time for reading. Even the weather was not that good, my wife and I enjoyed our visist of the Christmas Market in Mainz. We are happy that we bought all Christmas gifts last month. So we do not have any shopping stress.
And now

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress on the home stretch
  2. Plan for the fourteen remaining days in 2012
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Expected deliveries until end of 2011
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. If I could go to London before Christmas I would ....
  2. Poster Minimalism

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. From 1962 to 2012
  2. After 15 years: J and K

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quotes related to the use of words

The Lighthouse

Dear readers,
today I start with the reading progress! I found time to read in sum 528 pages which rocks. That means I will hit my magic 25550 pages definitely by end of next week. That will be my own Christmas gift. I finished two more books and started a new one!

I finished

- The Whitefire Crossing (ebook, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] by Courtney Schafer.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"There is more behind the story as you think at first sight. Mountain climbing plays an important part in the book. I do not have any experience in this area but Courtney created breathtaking scenes. I liked the two main characters - Dev and Kiran - more and more after every revelation. I look forward to read the next book in the series.
"
- CassaFirE (pb, Feruary 28th 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0982713945] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.
Twenty years later. Byron kept his promise. But a young scientist and a female pilot disturb his life ....
I liked the book a lot. And this will be the book to return to reviews on this blog. For the first time I will do a so called "early review". The review will be available before Christmas.

I'm

- 329 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
It is fascinating to see that there is no problem to read the book with a lot of breaks.

- 111 pages in - A Place called Armageddon by C C Humphreys
So far I met some intriguing characters. I like that the story starts a year before the siege of Constantinople in 1453. Gregoras, the man without nose, the mysterious Leilah, John Grant, a man with a lot of knowledge in engineering and alchemy .....

Of course I have plans for the remaining fourteen days in 2011.
- Finish reading of The Wise Man's Fear and A Place called Armageddon
- My big fat end of the year post
- Review: CassaFirE
- One more review from my review back log
- Edi's Weekend Wave #1152
- Continue to play Skyrim
- Cinema: In Time and Sherlock Holmes 2
- To think about what I want to do in 2012

I think that should be enough ....




Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

The last week I did not receive a book. Therefore I would like to show you the books which I expect to be delivered until end of 2011. as both of them are debut novels they could be also interesting for you.

Let me start with"The stunning superhero-noir fantasy thriller set in the other New York. " [Source]. I talk about Empire State (448p., pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857661937] by Adam Christopher.
"THE EMPIRE STATE IS THE OTHER NEW YORK. A parallel-universe, Prohibition-era world of mooks and shamuses that is the twisted magic mirror to our bustling Big Apple, a place where sinister characters lurk around every corner while the great superheroes that once kept the streets safe have fallen into dysfunctional rivalries and feuds. Not that its colourful residents know anything about the real New York… until detective Rad Bradley makes a discovery that will change the lives of all its inhabitants. " [Source]
I want to read this book since I read the blurb for the first time. Things like Batman and Fringe came up in my mind.





The second book is not really a debut but it is the first published novel of author Gaie Sebold. Babylon Steel (544p., pb, 2011] [ISBN-13: 978-1907992384] which seems to be a kind of fantasy mystery mix.

"Babylon Steel, ex-sword-for-hire, ex… other things, runs the best brothel in Scalentine; city of many portals, two moons, and a wide variety of races, were-creatures, and religions, not to mention the occasional insane warlock.
She’s not having a good week. The Vessels of Purity are protesting against brothels, women in the trade are being attacked, it’s tax time, and there’s not enough money to pay the bill. So when the mysterious Darask Fain offers her a job finding a missing girl, Babylon decides to take it. But the missing girl is not what she seems, and neither is Darask Fain. In the meantime twomoon is approaching, and more than just a few night’s takings are at risk when Babylon’s hidden past reaches out to grab her by the throat." [Source]
Gaie Sebold wrote about Babylon Steel:
"I never expected that I would write about someone who runs a brothel; about sex and sexuality in a fantasy setting. Heavens, I wasn't even brought up to think about such things in any setting. But there. There's probably some apt saying about this, and if I ever find it, I shall quote it." [Source]
And you should know that Gaie Sebold is working on a sequel ...

Two books with in sum nearly 1000 pages. I think there will be no way out. Next year Imust read more ...


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

If I could go to London before Christmas I would .....
visit the Dickens and London exhibition at the Museum of London. But that will not happen. Fortunately there are people who visited the exhibition and posted about it. If you are interested in the exhibition then you should not hesitate to visit The Cat's Meat Shop and enjoy the excellent Visiting Dicken's London post.


I know a lot of people like movie poster. Would you like to get a new view on movie poster? Then WebUrbanist has the right post for you. Go and have a look at


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Welcome to 1962. I hope you all went to cinema to see the amazing Jack The Gina Killer movie based on the British fairy tale with the same name. Breathtaking monsters, a beautiful princess and a brave hero. You missed the movie? Have a look at the trailer:


You think this movie is not state of the art? It has been in 1962! Don't worry. In couple of months a new Jack returns on the big screen. Watch the trailer and you will agree that the 2012 Jack the Gian Killer looks different ...



MIB - I'm sure you what this stands for. In Germany we have a saying: All good things come in threes. Are there people from outer space living on Earth or why do certain actors not grow older.
No I'm not nuts. I talk about a movie which will hit the cinemas in May 2012. Here comes the first trailer of Men in Black 3.


It all began in 1997 with


Agents K and J still look the same. Are they really human beings?


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The use of words is something essential in our life. The wrong use of words caused wars and destroyed uncountable numbers of relationships. May following quotes give is some hints for the proper use of specific words .....

"Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
Wendell Johnson


"I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
Wernher von Braun, US (German-born) rocket engineer (1912 - 1977)


"The word 'meaningful' when used today is nearly always meaningless.
Paul Johnson


"LOVE: A word properly applied to our delight in particular kinds of food; sometimes metaphorically spoken of the favorite objects of all our appetites.
Henry Fielding, English dramatist & novelist (1707 - 1754)


""Luck" is a very good word if you put a P before it.
Author Unknown


"Fame - a few words upon a tombstone, and the truth of those not to be depended on.
John Christian Bovee

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You did finish! Oh crap, hope this means I'm having a good Christmas.
I've seen the original Jack the Giant Killer and I'm sure the new one won't resemble it in any way.

ediFanoB said...

Alex, I really finished CassaFire and you got five stars on GOODREADS and tomorrow I will write the review where I will explain why I gave five stars.

So expect a good early review :)

Kittie Howard said...

I hope you post photos of your trip to the Christmas market. I sill wear the slippers I bought there. And the ornaments are on our tree.

Merry Christmas to You and Yours and may 2012 be a wonderful year.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Really!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

ediFanoB said...

@Kitty,

I'm sorry but I can't post photos because we wentr to the market without camera.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,

yesterday I wrote the first part of the review and tonight I will write the second part.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...