Saturday, December 03, 2011

Edi's Weekend Wave #1149

Hello and welcome to issue #1149 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Edi's Book Lighthouse is fighting against its decay. What to do when nearly no time is left. This is is the second time only that I'm online in the past week. How shall a find stuff to present you? How shall I write reviews? How shall I read books? All these things are reduced to nearly nothing. But I fight. Nobody and nothing will destroy my love to books and my blog. And I'm sure there will be better days. Until then I will make the best of the situation.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. How I feel
  2. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Ray of Light
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The largest model railway of the world
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something to get in Christmas mood

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Yes, I found one which begged me to quote it

The Lighthouse

Dear readers,
how often pictures and music describe far better our moods and feelings than words. And this is the song I'm listening to while writing this post. I know it is a famous one and forever affiliated with the American Civil War (you will know why when you have seen The Civil War series by Ken Burns), even the song has been written by Jay Ungar in 1982. The name of the song is Ashokan Farewell.


I read only on two days last week! Therefore I'm happy that read 272 pages within these two days. 130 pages more compared to the 142 pages the week before. ithin two days where I found time for readingy reading progress is not worth mentioning: 142 pages in seven days .....

I'm

- 210 pages in The Wise Man's Fear (994 pages, trade paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0575081420] by Patrick Rothfuss
A slight progress of 57 pages. I yearn for days off!!

- 513 pages in Theft of Swords (pb, November 23rd 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0316187747] by Michael J. Sullivan
112 pages more is better than nothing.

- 157 pages in of The Whitefire Crossing (ebook, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1597802833] by Courtney Schafer.
I like Dev and Kiran. I have no clue how the book will end ...


That means there are only 1859 pages left to be read in 29 days.
Then I will have finished
- The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
- Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
- The Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer
- CassaFirE by Alex J. Cavanaugh.
- A Place called Armageddon by C C Humphreys


Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last I wrote about the books I still wait for the delivery. To my surprise copies of two of these books found their way to my home:

A big thank you goes to Nightshade Books and Courtney Schafer for sending me a signed copy of The Whitefire Crossing (pb, 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1597802833]. It is the first book of The Shattered Sigil series. I'm reading an electronic copy of the book and it's great.
"Dev is a smuggler with the perfect cover. He's in high demand as a guide for the caravans that carry legitimate goods from the city of Ninavel into the country of Alathia. The route through the Whitefire Mountains is treacherous, and Dev is one of the few climbers who knows how to cross them safely. With his skill and connections, it's easy enough to slip contraband charms from Ninavel - where any magic is fair game, no matter how dark - into Alathia, where most magic is outlawed.
But smuggling a few charms is one thing; smuggling a person through the warded Alathian border is near suicidal. Having made a promise to a dying friend, Dev is forced to take on a singularly dangerous cargo: Kiran. A young apprentice on the run from one of the most powerful mages in Ninavel, Kiran is desperate enough to pay a fortune to sneak into a country where discovery means certain execution - and he'll do whatever it takes to prevent Dev from finding out the terrible truth behind his getaway.
Yet Kiran isn't the only one harboring a deadly secret. Caught up in a web of subterfuge and dark magic, Dev and Kiran must find a way to trust each other - or face not only their own destruction, but that of the entire city of Ninavel." [Source]

And another big thank you goes to Meghan Quinn from PYR for sending me a review copy of
Hearts of Smoke and Steam (327 p., November 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer.
"Sir Dennis Darby has been murdered, the Automaton has been destroyed, and Sarah Stanton has turned her back on a life of privilege and comfort to try and find her way in the unforgiving streets of New York. But Lord Eschaton, the villain behind all these events, isn’t finished with her yet. His plans to bring his apocalyptic vision of the future to the world are moving forward, but to complete his scheme he needs the clockwork heart that Sarah still holds.
But she has her own plans for the Automaton’s clockwork heart—Sarah is trying to rebuild her mechanical friend, and when she is attacked by the Children of Eschaton, the man who comes to her rescue may be the one to make her dreams come true. Emelio Armando is a genius inventor who had hoped to leave his troubles behind when he and his sister left Italy for a life of anonymity in the New World. Now he finds himself falling in love with the fallen society girl, but he is rapidly discovering just how powerful the forces of villainy aligned against her are, and that fulfilling her desires means opening the door to a world of danger that could destroy everything he has built.
The Society of Steam takes place in a Victorian New York powered by the discovery of Fortified Steam, a substance that allows ordinary men to wield extraordinary abilities and grants powers that can corrupt gentlemen of great moral strength. The secret behind this amazing substance is something that wicked brutes will gladly kill for, and one that Sarah must try and protect, no matter what the cost." [Source]

I look forward to read and review xxx which is the second and last book of The Society of Steam duology. In May 2011 I reviewed The Falling Machine (278 p. May 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer ...


Beside that I still hope to receive the other outstanding books.


No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

As I told you at the beginning of the post, there was not much time to find some content worth to share with you. Like millions of other men I love model railway. As you may know there is a large one in Hamburg, Germany. It is called Miniatur Wunderland. Now the new 2012 video trailer is available. It is a must see! So far I did not find time to visit the Wunderland. Therefore I enjoy the video like you. And the comment is in English!



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......

Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.
But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

A new fantasy movie with a lot of action will hit the cinemas in 2012. John Carter is based on the novel A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. First thing I noticed, it is a 2D film ...

If could jump like John Carter it would take me less than a minute to leave home and arrive at work ....


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

True but not well accepted quote ...

"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it.
Margaret Fuller, US Transcendentalist author & editor (1810 - 1850)

But unfortunately there are not so many people who would like to light their candle.....

26 comments:

RaveAir said...

This John Carter movie looks quite good. But about the "Disney" logo I have some bad feeling also...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Miniatur Wunderland attraction looks amazing! It's huge. And almost two hundred and fifty people to run it? Whoa...
John Carter looks great, but the fact that it's Disney makes me nervous as well. Plus that it has to make $750,000,000. dollars before they will do a sequel? Really?
Looking forward to hosting you next Friday!

Rosalie Skinner said...

The Miniatur Wunderland is excellent. What a huge layout. Loved the airport. Must see if/when we ever get overseas again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NszIj5IELBU
My husband and a group of friends have an exhibition layout they take to major shows around our country. Ten metres long. Nothing compared to MWL but even this one takes a lot of maintainence and building.
Looking forward to seeing you on Alex's blog on Friday!!

ediFanoB said...

@RaveAir,
I understand your bad feeling. Fingers crossed that in this case Disney did a good job

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
The need a lot of people for maintenance. It is time consuming to check the whole Wunderland.

A couple of minutes ago I sent you my guest post text. Hope you like it.

ediFanoB said...

@Rosalie,
thank you for the link. I like these videos a lot.The work of your hubby and his friends is impressive. You should not compare it with the Wunderland which is a managed by professionals.

I hope people will like my post. I think it is the first time I wrote a real guest post.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Hi I came by via Alex J. Cavanaugh, I read your guest post on his blog, I really enjoyed browsing over your blog, most interesting to read and watch the video's

Yvonne.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Edi, nice to meet you from Alex's blog!

Laila Knight said...

Hi Edi, just found you on Alex's blog. Happy to meet you. Consider me a new follower. :)

ediFanoB said...

@welcome to my world of poetry,

thank you for stopping by Yvonne.
I would like to have more time for my blog. Anyway I'm glad you like my blog.

Of course I visited your blog too. I did not leave a comment but I'm a new follower.

ediFanoB said...

@Liz Fichera,

thanks for stopping by. I visited your blog too.

ediFanoB said...

@Laila Knight,

thanks for stopping by and welcome. I visited your blog too and you have anew follower too.

Fingers crossed and good luck for your writing.

M Pax said...

Looking forward to John Carter. Hope it's good. Disney makes me nervous, too.

ediFanoB said...

@M Pax,

let's hope the best for John Carter. I have had a look at your blog. I decided to post about Semper Audacia in my next Weekend Wave.

Your name reminds me of KPAX.

DEZMOND said...

nice blog :) I can't wait to watch JOHN CARTER, being my favourite genre it's my most anticipated film of 2012 :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi, you can't go wrong with Mary's book! She's a great writer.
MPax - KPax. You're right!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Thanks for joining my followers. Much appreciated.

Yvonne.

SQT said...

I loved "Wise Man's Fear." I'll be interested to see what you think of "Whitefire Crossing."

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Hi Edi,

I enjoyed your post at Alex's place. Your Baenglish is quite charming and your blog is fun.

Great to meet you.

Happy weekend.

ediFanoB said...

@DEZMOND,

thanks for stopping by and your kind words. I really hope that John Carter will deliver what we expect.

ediFanoB said...

@Alex,
good to know. So I will share word about Mary's book.

ediFanoB said...

@Yvonne,

you're welcome. Thank you for following my blog.

ediFanoB said...

@SQT,

I desperately hope to finish "The Wise Man's fear within 2011. There was nit that much time for reading and reviewing in the past two and a half months.

"The Whitefire Crossing" is surprisingly good. I hope to resume to write reviews soon.

ediFanoB said...

@Robyn,
thank you for
- stopping by
- your kind words
- following my blog

I visited your blog too - Chocolate! I love chocolate. Now you have a new follower.

Nice to meet you too.
Enjoy your weekend.

RaShelle Workman said...

Found you through Alex. Nice to meet you.

ediFanoB said...

@RaShelle Workman,

thanks for stopping by. Hope you liked what you read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...