Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Edi's Lighthouse Chatter: XCVI of XCIX in MMXI

Dear readers,
for nearly two weeks I thought about the last post in 2011 and the first post in 2012.
A time to think and write about the blog, reading experiences, likes and dislikes. Most of the book blogs I follow posted their top of 2011 books, their most anticipated books in 2012, new targets and more. At the end of the past two years I wrote a big fat end of the year post (2009, 2010). I read them again and reasoned I should do something different at the end of 2011. Off course I want to deliver a lot of information but it should be easy to digest. I do not want to spend two hours for reading one post. Therefore I decided to write a series of posts.

Are you still thinking about the title of the post? Is it nonsense or a conundrum?
XCVI of XCIX in MMXI has a meaning. I'm sure you found out that I used Roman numerals.
That means we have something like 96 of 99 in 2011. Let me add some letters:
96th post of 99 in 2011.
Today is December 28th which means I can reach a maximum of 99 posts in 2011 when I publish one post per day including today. And that is how I want to celebrate the end of 2011 on my blog.

You will have the pleasure to read
XCVI of XCIX in MMXI - this post
XCVII of XCIX in MMXI - One of my outstanding reviews
XCVIII of XCIX in MMXI - 2011 in books and reviews
XCIX of XCIX in MMXI - Bye-Bye 2011
in the following days.

What to expect in 2012 will topic of the first post on 2012
I - Welcome 2012

There will be no Edi's Weekend Wave on upcoming Saturday. Therefore I would like to show you three books I received in the past days.

Let me start with the Christmas gift from my daughter. I wanted to read something by Eric Brown. I got a copy of Necropath (pb., 2008)[ISBN-13: 978-1844166022] which is the first book in the Bengal Station trilogy.

"Science fiction meets crime noir, as Jeff Vaughan, jaded telepath, employed by the spaceport authorities on Bengal Station, discovers a sinister cult that worships a mysterious alien god. We follow Vaughan as he attempts to solve the murders and save himself from the psichopath out to kill him. This is Eric Brown's triumphant return to hard SF." [Source]

I could not withstand and started to read. I must say I really like the mix of crime noir and science fiction. I'm sure I will finish it until end of 2011. I know for sure that I must read Xenopath and Cosmopath.
I'm glad that I discovered Eric Brown for me.

A big thank you goes to Meghan Qinn Thanks from PYR for sending me a review copy of Hearts of Smoke and Steam (327 p., November 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-1616143756] by Andrew P. Mayer which is the second book in The Society of Steam duology. In May 2011 I reviewed The Falling Machine which is the first part.
"Sir Dennis Darby has been murdered, the Automaton has been destroyed, and Sarah Stanton has turned her back on a life of privilege and comfort to try and find her way in the unforgiving streets of New York. But Lord Eschaton, the villain behind all these events, isn’t finished with her yet. His plans to bring his apocalyptic vision of the future to the world are moving forward, but to complete his scheme he needs the clockwork heart that Sarah still holds.

But she has her own plans for the Automaton’s clockwork heart—Sarah is trying to rebuild her mechanical friend, and when she is attacked by the Children of Eschaton, the man who comes to her rescue may be the one to make her dreams come true. Emelio Armando is a genius inventor who had hoped to leave his troubles behind when he and his sister left Italy for a life of anonymity in the New World. Now he finds himself falling in love with the fallen society girl, but he is rapidly discovering just how powerful the forces of villainy aligned against her are, and that fulfilling her desires means opening the door to a world of danger that could destroy everything he has built.

The Society of Steam takes place in a Victorian New York powered by the discovery of Fortified Steam, a substance that allows ordinary men to wield extraordinary abilities and grants powers that can corrupt gentlemen of great moral strength. The secret behind this amazing substance is something that wicked brutes will gladly kill for, and one that Sarah must try and protect, no matter what the cost." [Source]
To be honest I would like to read it within 2011 ....

And finally I bought a copy of the third book in the Burton & Swinburne series.
Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (November 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1616145354] by Mark Hodder is the final one in the first story arc.
"It is 1863, but not the one it should be. Time has veered wildly off course, and now the first moves are being made that will lead to a devastating world war and the fall of the British Empire.
The prime minister, Lord Palmerston, believes that by using the three Eyes of Naga—black diamonds possessing unique properties—he’ll be able to manipulate events and avoid the war. He already has two of the stones, but the third is hidden somewhere in the Mountains of the Moon, the fabled source of the Nile.
Palmerston sends Sir Richard Francis Burton to recover it. For the king’s agent, it’s a chance to redeem himself after his previous failed attempt to find the source of the great river. That occasion had led to betrayal by his partner, John Hanning Speke. Now Speke is leading a rival expedition on behalf of the Germans, and it seems that the battle between the former friends may ignite the very war that Palmerston is trying to avoid!
Caught in a tangled web of cause, effect, and inevitability, little does Burton realize that the stakes are far higher than even he suspects.
A final confrontation comes in the mist-shrouded Mountains of the Moon, in war- torn Africa of 1914, and in Green Park, London, where, in the year 1840, Burton must face the man responsible for altering time: Spring Heeled Jack!

Burton and Swinburne’s third adventure is filled with eccentric steam-driven technology, grotesque characters, and bizarre events, completing the three-volume story arc begun in The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack and The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man." [Source]
What shall I say? There is definitely no time left to read it within 2011. I love the the Burton & Swinburne series.
My reviews of The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack and
The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man should explain why I like the books so much.


I write this last part of the post after a visit to cinema. My wife and I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
That was an awesome end of the cinema year 2011. We hope there will be a third movie.
Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law are a congenial duo. I liked especially the two camouflage scenes.


ENJOY READING ...

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You will enjoy Sherlock Holmes tremendously!
That was a nice gift from your daughter. Like the premise and really dig the cover. Will look for it in the iBookstore.
And I'll enjoy the ride as you count down your last posts of the year!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

My daughter took her son to see Sherlock Holmes for his birthday treat on Christmas Eve, they all enjoyed it.

Have a wonderful, happy and healthy New Year.

Yvonne.

RaveAir said...

I'll still have to wait till 5th Jan with the watching the new Sherlock Holmes movie. :(

ediFanoB said...

Alex,

we enjoyed the film a lot. I hope I can serve the count down in time. Have had internet connection issues for nearly two hours.

ediFanoB said...

Yvonne,

we loved the film.

Have a a wonderful,happy and healthy New Year too.

ediFanoB said...

RaveAir,

if you liked the first Sherlock Holmes movie then you will love the second one.

It is worth to wait for it.

andrew@law said...

I will wait for more of mark hodder

ediFanoB said...

andrew@law,

I do not have any information about the next book by Mark Hodder.

In case you have not read the first three Burton & Swinburne books, I recommend to read them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...